“Just passing through...delighted with our choice.”

The Lion and The Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 21, 2010

My husband and I were on our way to Myrtle Beach. But we'd read about Ashville, and were curious to experience it even for just an overnight stay. We were very pleased with our decision, including the night's stay at the Lion & Rose B&B.

Linda and Jim were very welcoming, and showed us through the house and to our room. Beautiful 100 year-old home, with magnificent antique pieces to accentuate the time period. We had a nicely-appointed room looking over the back garden and side street. The traffic was light, so our night's sleep was undisturbed.

We were within walking distance from the downtown so enjoyed a stroll there before dinner. The going to town was easy as it was downhill; coming back was a bit more uphill, but good exercise since we'd been in the car driving most of the day. We ended up having a great dinner at a restaurant just down the street from the B&B - Nine Mile. It had a Caribbean-inspired menu, with as much spice as desired. Recommended for those more adventurous foody types.

Breakfast the following morning was tasty and filling - an omelette filled with grits and cheese - my first taste of grits and it wasn't half bad. Excellent sausage - a combo of apple and sausage meat - accompanied the omelette.

We know we'll want to explore the area more when we are back. But it was a good start to appreciating all that Ashville has to offer.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

The personal attention Linda and Jim give their guests is beyond what I have experienced in other B&B's. Coffee delivered to the room at 8:00, an abundance of chocolate treats throught out the inn and in each guest room. Jim loves to cook and it shows, breakfast is a gourmets feast. While everyone eats the same food, each meal is cooked as guests come to the table at their convience between 8:30 and 9:30. I have a medical problem and Jim graciously altered my food or cooked me a special meal to accomodate my dietary restrictions. The rooms are comfortable with all the amenities one could want. The house is spotless and very well cared for. I would recommend The Lion and The Rose without hesitation. A wonderful oasis in a great city.

Reviewed November 15, 2010

The bed at this B & B was literally so comfortable and luxurious, I didn't want to get up for the breakfast...which was also absolutely fabulous! It was our second time there and we will go back next time we are in Asheville.

Reviewed November 13, 2010

The L&R is as good as any B&B I've ever visited. Lovely setting, lavish furnishings, impeccable friendly service. Oh, and great food. The adjoining garden is lovely and a great place to take your coffee or cocktail. Our visit was marred for at least two hours one afternoon when four people with leaf blowers went to work. It ruined our naps and destroyed the peace. Whatever happened to rakes?

Reviewed November 11, 2010

My husband and I were passing through North Carolina and would only be in Ashville for one night. We researched Bed and Breakfasts online, and this one came highly recommended. Upon our arrival, we were met by the innkeeper who gave us a tour of the house and helped up with our bags to our room on the third floor. I will admit, when I saw our room, I was floored. It was absolutely stunning and huge. It took up the entire third floor. The bedroom had a nice study area with a fire place and a little balcony outside. There was also a living room area and a HUGE shower and bath tub. The entire house was immaculate and like soemthing out of a movie. It was very well kept. We both felt comfortable and at home here.
We both really enjoyed breakfast and conversing with the other guests. Meeting new people and sharing your stories is a given, and the Lion and the Rose provided the perfect atmosphere for that.
My only advice would be to specify a certain type of breakfast. I'm usaully for trying new foods but I didn't care for the some of the breakfast foods they served on the morning we were there, the food wasnt bad, just not appealing to me. The couple sitting next to me had specified that they wanted omelets and they were raving about them. Don't be afraid to be vocal about what you prefer to eat. They are more than happy to meet your requests.
All in all, I was extremely satisfied with the Lion and the Rose. It was one of my first Bed and Breakfast experiences and I gotta say, I'm hooked and prefer it over a hotel any day!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a few days in Asheville and we both loved staying at The Lion & The Rose. The hosts, Jim and Linda, were extremely gracious and hospitable, and the breakfasts were amazing. Jim also recommended some excellent dining experiences to us around town. We just loved the entire experience!

Reviewed November 6, 2010

My husband and I visited Asheville for our anniversary and decided to try out a B&B for the first time. After this visit, we are sold!!! The house was beautiful inside and out. Our room was comfortable and pretty. But breakfast....wow! Wonderful service and wonderful people. I will definitely be returning...hopefully the weather will be more cooperative next time!! :) Thank you very much!