“Outstanding Experience”

At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #18 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This B&B not only has a lovely location but has the best hosts you can find. You are in the Montford district and can walk into the center of town in 10 minutes. Staying in the Garden Vista room one can sleep with the windows open and listen to the waterfall sounds at night and view the gardens during the day. We have been guests on 4 occasions and given relatives a gift of a stay there as well (thoroughly enjoyed). Homemade breakfast with 3 courses starts the day just right. We keep returning because it is pure pleasure and comfort. Don't miss this place.

Room Tip: Garden Vista is well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
fallsinn, Owner at At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

As innkeepers, it is perhaps the highest of compliments to your job and your inn when guests choose to return again and again. A relationship develops and friendship is formed and so it is with these two. Lively discussions about so many things, laughs shared, commonalities discussed, birthdays shared and celebrated. Thanks to you both for the fun, the good times, contemporary discussion and may we all be together in celebration for many birthdays to come.
You all be well, take good care of each other and we look forward to next year. Eat Chocolate.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We just spent one of the most delightful weekends At Cumberland Falls B&B Inn in the historic Montford neighborhood of Asheville, NC. It was like visiting the home of your most favorite Aunt. Upon our arrival, Inn Keeper, Gary, met us and gave us a tour of the inn and grounds. Gary proudly pointed out the beautiful Quilted Maple trim located throughout the inn, which is now an extinct wood and very precious. Since it was late, Gary recommended a great Jamaican restaurant right down the street from the Inn called Nine Mile. You don't want to miss Nine Mile and you'll be shocked at our inexpensive your meal is, especially for such delicious and unique food. The next morning we were welcomed by Gary's wife, Patti, with a great big hug that made my day. Then we met Patti's sister, Jean, who was equally charming and gracious. We tried to take Jean home with us as a souvenir but our car was packed to the roof already. We were there to celebrate a birthday and Patti went overboard to make the experience special. We ordered ahead for a box of truffles (which were made by a local chocolate shop and probably the best we've ever had) and a lovely and abundant picnic basket prepared for our trip along the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Patti and Jean also prepared delicious home-baked goods for the guests everyday and on one of those days, Patti prepared a special chocolate birthday cake for us that everyone shared. Our room was called the Lion's Den, which was spacious and boasted of huge windows and a lion clawed tub in the bath. We were within walking distance of downtain and the walk through the historic neighborhood was delightful. I cannot say enough about how wonderful our hosts were during the visit and we will definitely be returning to this special and magical place again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
fallsinn, Owner at At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

I tell my innkeeper friends, most like myself have been running their inns a long time that when a more challenging guest comes...God sends me genuinely, nice to the bone, supremely appreciative guests that are truly every innkeepers joy to house. Thank you both for being so easy to lodge, so genuinely funny and such complete sweeties. My wish for you both is that on a difficult day all the folks you encounter are as accommodating and courteous as you all were. Come back soon. You are already missed.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

At Cumberland Falls B&B is a lovely retreat. We stayed in early October--family of 4 (kids are 11 and 14). Gary and Patti were very accommodating to our family. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable--nice linens, good pillows, comfy beds. The gas stoves in our rooms were cute but unfortunately we didn't need them due to warmish weather. Breakfast each morning was a hardy affair--no one would leave hungry. Gary was very helpful with dinner reservations and directions. I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The Natural Mystic is lovely and has the nicest bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We traveled (for the first time) to Asheville Oct 3-6, and we stayed at Cumberland Falls. The Inn and its manicured grounds are a lovely oasis - so close to town, but to hear the silence on the front porch, you would have no idea that a busy town is nearby. Upon arrival, we were given a tour of the lovely home and shown to our room (the Garden Vista - 2nd floor). This room is huge and romantic, with large windows overlooking the gardens outback, and it has one of the most comfortable king sized beds I've ever encountered in ANY hotel room. (I have a bad back, so this bed alone is reason enough for me to pick Cumberland Falls again when we return to Asheville!)

We received excellent dinner and entertainment recommendations from the owners. We highly recommend 9 Mile - a Caribbean style restaurant right around the corner from Cumberland Falls...affordable, amazing quality, and literally 2 blocks from the inn. Other favorite Asheville restaurants included Cucina 24 (pricey but amazing Italian/Mediterranean style gourmet) and Chai Pani (Indian style street food). Also, we enjoyed the food tour booked with Eating Asheville; we visited at least 7 different restaurants, enjoyed food and drink, and learned a lot about the town.

Each morning, breakfast was grandly and deliciously presented in a 3 course menu, and the portions are so large, that you have zero need for lunch. =) The food was fantastic, and chatting with the other guests was a great way to start each morning. And, we when returned to the inn at night, there were always amazing desserts (killer brownies!) waiting on us in the hallway. Such a welcoming place. Worth every penny. We will be back!

Room Tip: You do have to climb stairs...1 room on the ground floor - 3 rooms on the second floor and maybe 2 r...
1  Thank byrumsf
fallsinn, Owner at At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Sabrina....you left your inn with you hair. How am I ever to gain the red hair I so desperately desire if you're going to act like that?

Loved the horses Sabrina and think that would be a spectacular way to spend your day. A Mother to the four-legged.
You and Nick were a hoot and enjoyed our horse discussion so much. Which I had longer to know more but maybe next time. Don't blame the people that purchased Dublin. Simply beautiful animal for sure.

You all be well and take good care of each other. Will be happy to see your shining faces at our door the next go around. Delighted you all had such a good time and we'll keep that fine bed for you girl so your back stays able to chase the horses.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a wonderful time staying at the Cumberland Falls B&B. Gary & Patti are the Inn Keepers and take great pride in serving their guests in this beautiful old Inn that is very well located near downtown Asheville. The breakfasts were very good every morning and Gary was very helpful with directions, points of interest, reservations, etc. We enjoyed hiking for 4 days and used Cumberland Falls as our home base. Gary was very helpful in providing guidance about the various hiking areas & water falls. He also helped us with dinner reservations. During our time in Asheville we also visited the Biltmore Estate and Gary obtained the tickets for us as well as directions. We stayed in the "Natural Mystic" room which was very comfortable and had a very nice bathroom.

Room Tip: There is a room on the first floor, 3 on the second floor, and I think 2 on the third floor. I only...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Now, tell me Betty....Did you ever hear the story of this couple, seeking a moment of solace and peace in the middle of the forest when all of a sudden...this man comes by with an afternoon greeting and then.... Betty, I am laughing because I cannot tell you how refreshing it was to me to know that I am not the only human in the world that weird things happen to. Yea, there's another and that's you and Kent. We enjoyed you both immensely and must confess to more than just a little bit of jealousy as you headed out to see our beautiful natural resources every day. Asheville loved being appreciated by you guys...She is so beautiful.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband took me to Asheville for a surprise anniversary getaway, and booked the Victorian room downstairs for our weekend. The owners greeted us with brownies and smiles and gave us a quick tour of the inn, which made us feel at home. The grounds are beautiful and serene with waterfalls in the back yard and a fountain near the front door. The room was tasteful and extremely comfortable. I took full advantage of the rocking chairs on the front porch, perfect for both the morning coffee and an evening glass of wine. Breakfast is not to be missed! Three courses of goodness, so plan for a late lunch, if at all.

Describing only the inn or the rooms doesn’t give you a complete feel for our weekend, though. I have to brag on the owners for a minute, since they are a huge part of our experience. Gary, Patti, and her sister Jane were outstanding hosts! They treat you like family, recommending THE BEST restaurants or information about Asheville-area activities, and making reservations if needed. Throughout our stay, we saw little random tokens of their thoughtfulness. They’re funny, engaging, helpful… and we miss them!

At Cumberland Falls is a 20 minute walk, at most, to downtown Asheville. Walking is a perfect opportunity to see the beautiful historic homes in the neighborhood. It’s safe, day and night, to walk to and from town. It’s also a short walk to the Visitor’s Center, where you can catch the guided trolley tour of the city with many stops to drop off and pick up passengers. The inn really is in a quiet neighborhood while, at the same time, walking distance to so many things.

Between the accommodations, the breakfast, the hosts, and the location, I can’t think of a nicer way to have spent my 22nd wedding anniversary. Thanks, hubby!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marie W
fallsinn, Owner at At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Marie I thank you so very much for this review. It made my day. From the moment Glenn made contact here At Cumberland Falls Bed and Breakfast Inn, it was apparent how interested he was in making your all's 22nd anniversary a very special time for you both. I am honored to have been able to be Glenn's ally in this most awesome pursuit.
I am so glad you were tickled and that it was a very special time together- Fit for placing in "the house of special memories." You all were so delightful to observe and I look forward to helping with many more celebrations to come. Onward and upward in to the 23rd year. Be well and hope to see you all when Asheville calls your name again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I spent a perfect weekend at At Cumberland Falls Inn, we're already planning when we can go back! Patti and Gary treated us like old friends, seeing to it that everything about our stay was picturesque. We stayed in the 'Natural Mystic' room on the second floor, with great natural lights and a large jacuzzi tub. They helped us find the perfect places to eat and spend our time in Asheville, and cooked amazing food each morning. I have a gluten intolerance, and they were more than hospitable in making special dishes for me, and finding gluten free crackers and muffins. In-room massages were the perfect way to end our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple