“Wait for a deal, not a $300 experience by any means”
Review of Cedar Crest Inn

Cedar Crest Inn
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My husband and I went here for a week in November 2009 for a romantic getaway. We stayed in the cottage, which is on a slight incline about 20 yards from the main house. My husband and I both travel frequently, and we have zillions of hotel points, but I wanted him to have the B&B experience. I was encouraged by the pictures and the reviews. We booked the cottage because we wanted privacy and more space than a regular room. We paid full price for the cottage, $300 a night, which, in retrospect, was not worth the money. Here’s why:

First, the good: The food was excellent. Everything was cooked to order, fresh and perfectly spiced. All the baked goods were perfect. The desserts, which were at night, were also excellent. The décor was well chosen. It’s hard not to have a great breakfast experience in that dining room—it is magnificent. The rooms themselves were pleasingly decorated and they were clean.

Now, the bad:

The noise: The brochures won’t tell you Biltmore Avenue is a very busy street. The Inn is located high on a hill, hence, the name, so you are removed from the street level. However, it is noisy with cars whizzing by at all hours. Also, the Inn is near a hospital with a helicopter that flies over the cottage at all hours of the day and night. My husband could generally sleep on a meat hook, but the noise still woke him up. (I slept through it, but I take drugs to sleep, so I am not a good barometer.) I’m not downgrading the place for this reason, because location is something they can’t help, but be advised of the noise level. The cottage’s porch is lovely, but car noise will be your constant companion.

Lack of maintenance: I’ve stayed in at least 10 B&Bs in my life. I realize staying in an older building means trading some modern amenities for charm, but the cottage was poorly maintained, pure and simple. The lamp in the master bedroom had a broken switch. (When I mentioned this to the on-sight manager, it was suggested I had perhaps broken it myself!) No vent in the bathroom is understandable in a building this old, but the window, like most in the cottage, was firmly painted shut. Interior door knobs came off in your hand. The bathroom doors to the bedrooms both stuck to the point of making us walk around through the other bedroom. The bathroom had lots of broken tiles. (We just stopped shutting them.) For $300 a night, I would expect the place to be better maintained.

Security: This may not bother some people, but the lack of security features bothered me. There is no light on the back entrance door to the cottage. We carry a flashlight in our car, but the key would have been hard to get in the door had was not had it. Also, there are no deadbolt locks anywhere on the outer doors of the cottage, just flimsy knob locks that would be easily defeated. Again, it may not bother some people, but the cottage is rather isolated and I thought of it when I heard two ‘gentlemen’ getting in a verbal argument on the street below.

Internet access: The wireless internet access in the cottage was in and out the first day. The older woman who works the night shift informed us “it never works in the cottage anyway,” and she sniffed that we could possibly use the computer in the main house if it was an ‘emergency.’ Not being able to check ESPN hardly constitutes an emergency, but frankly, I’ve stayed in $100/night rooms where people cared more about whether the internet worked. Again, tradeoffs. We fixed the problem ourselves by disconnecting and re-connecting the modem a few times a day.

Inattentive management: While we were there, the place was managed by a young female during the day and an older female who worked from 5:00-9:00. Not one of them inquired about the state of our room or if we needed anything. There was a man there who identified himself as the wedding coordinator. He said to us, “this is a great place, isn’t it? Aren’t you having a good time?” And that was about as close as anybody got.

After the street noise incident, I asked about the overall safeness of the place. The day manager said they’d never had a problem, which is what I would expect a manager to say. As for the problems I did identify, the lamp stayed where it was, broken, and so did the door knobs. The day manager told me the owner lived in Florida. I think the place is seriously in need of a hop-to-it attitude.

My recommendation is that you don’t pay full price to go here. If it were priced at half of what it was, I would have felt like it was a decent value, particularly compared to what you can get in the surrounding area. Although we made this trip last Fall, writing a review slipped my mind, but I kept detailed notes. I notice some recent reviews indicate there is a male day manager there now. Perhaps he is taking a more hands-on approach to management and maintenance.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
cedarcrestinn, Manager at Cedar Crest Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2010

*UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT AS OF APRIL 1st 2010 (REVIEW WAS CONCERNING A STAY IN NOVEMBER 2009)

The experience this guest describes is always disappointing to hear, regardless of how recent or long ago it may have been. There is not one concern on here that I find to be irrelevant or uncalled for (from the guests perspective.) I have tried to contact the guest that had this experience to see If I could get her to come back and prove to her how different of a place the Cedar Crest Inn is now since the change in management. I have not heard back from her.

I took over the operation of the Inn on April 1st, 2010 and as you can see there have been nothing but 5 star reviews since then. I strive to make sure every guest feels like they have received the experience that they expected and then some.

I apologize once again that she did not receive the experience she wanted and deserved and do reassure all potential guests reading this that Cedar Crest Inn is under new management since April 1st, 2010 and we will try our hardest to make sure NO ONE has a less then unforgettable positive experience!

Thank you for your time!

Drew Hepburn
Cedar Crest Inn

Reviewed July 17, 2010

What a great place to relax and to enjoy Asheville! Drew and the staff made us feel right at home. Credar Crest is beautiful, comfortable, spacious rooms that are very clean. The breakfast foods are delicious and eating ourside on the Veranda is exceptional.
Drew took the time to help us with directions for exploring the city and for great restaurants!!
This is a wonderful Inn and one that we will return to for many years to come...
Cedar Crest Inn is a gem......................
T and R
St. Petersburg, Florida

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rbullis
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The service was excellent, the food was incredibly delicious. You can eat inside or outside, whatever you are in the mood for. The best breakfast I have ever had at a Bed and Breakfast, and a different menu each day. Let your pallet experience the delicious delights. Enjoy an afternoon of complimentary refreshments out on the veranda overlooking the gorgeous greenery and gardens. The manager took really good care of everyone and even stayed late to make sure you had everything you needed.

The rooms were kept clean and serviced daily. We felt pampered and really enjoyed the short distance to the Biltmore Hotel, downtown Asheville, and local restaurants. We suggest renting a car if you fly to Asheville because parking is complimentary, sometime right in front of your cottage door, depending where you stay.

We are thankful for this wonderful experience, and plan to go back in the Fall.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HelloMonica
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The Cedar Crest Inn is everything a B&B should be. It is elegant, beautiful and very comfortable. The breakfasts were creative and delicious. Each and every member of the staff goes out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and memorable.
Whether you choose to stay in the magnificent Victorian house, or the beautiful carriage house (which we did with our extended family), this is the perfect location for exploring Asheville and the Biltmore Estate.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank joey43
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We had a wonderful time during our stay. I would love to go back and recomend this B&B without hestitation of any kind!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank RebeccaIndy
Reviewed June 22, 2010

In our first visit ever to Asheville, we visited the Biltmore, enjoyed dinner at same restaurant in which President Obama had a meal two months earlier, and browsed the Downtown Asheville arts festival and shops... yet easily our favorite part of our first Asheville experience was our stay at the Cedar Crest Inn. The service was impeccable, the atmosphere was relaxed and romantic, and the wine kept flowing. We wholeheartedly recommend the Cedar Crest Inn, and we'll certainly be back ourselves for another romantic getaway first chance we get!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ajdarrah
Reviewed June 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here June 11-13, 2010 to celebrate our FIRST YEAR WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!! It was a suprise to my husband who had never ever stayed at a Bed and Breakfast. Needless to say he was VERY suprised and taken back by the overwhelming BEAUTY of the Cedar Crest Inn. We really enjoyed the GRAND tour that Drew gave us and his stories of the home. Our room was the BEST on the property and needless to say, we felt right at home here. The convenience of Downtown and The Biltmore was a MAJOR PLUS! Drew made us feel so welcome and gave us great TIPS on where to eat and what was a MUST SEE! We will be back in July for my birthday celebration. I will OVERLY brag to ALL my friends and family on how GREAT our stay was and HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. Thanks DREW......YOU are AWESOME!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple