“Loved, loved, loved it!!”
Review of Cedar Crest Inn

and 1 more site!
Cedar Crest Inn
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed here from January 21 through January 24, 2013. We were fortunate enough to be booked into the Carriage House where we had adjoining rooms upstairs. We had the entire house to ourselves and thoroughly enjoyed sitting by the fire, making coffee in the mornings before heading to the main house for our wonderful breakfast every morning. Sabrina and Drew were wonderful hosts and made our stay memorable. We are looking forward to our next stay!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Cedar Crest Inn
- Carriage House

This past weekend we stayed at the Cedar Crest Inn for the first time. My wife and I come to Asheville several times a year and in January we come for the Biltmore Estate “Passholders appreciation” month. The last couple of years we have brought our friends because we get free passes to the house and winery with great discounts on food and wine. This year we were not able to get the same B&B we stayed at last year, so my wife started looking online and found the Cedar Crest Inn and a few others. The price of the Cedar Crest Inn was less expensive than what we had spent in the past, even for the off season. My wife called, asked some questions and made reservation and we were all set.

Friday when we headed out, it was bad weather from our house to Asheville. What is usually a three hour trip turned into a four and half hour slow going road trip on ice! When we did get into Asheville it was nice to see that the weather was much better and the roads were good. When we pulled into the drive to the Cedar Crest Inn I was tired of being on the road and it was nice to see that the view of the house we pulled up to lived up the ones on the website. When we entered the main house the host was very friendly and seemed genuinely happy we were there. Once we got checked in we stayed in the sitting room of the main house and had coffee and complimentary wine. Since several of the rooms of the main house were open, the host let us tour them, which let us see most of the three story house. All of the rooms are very nice and decorated pleasantly and would be very inviting to stay in.

Once we enjoyed our time at the main house the host took us up to the Carriage house and showed us our rooms and amenities. This weekend could not have been a better time to go, we had the whole house to ourselves. The house was set up perfect for entertaining or just hanging-out. The rooms down stairs were very roomy and set up nicely. The house was clean top to bottom and everything from the kitchen to the bathrooms were like they should be and everything you would need is there. The Carriage house is modern inside, kind of set up like a “country house”, which does not take away from anything.

The Inn is in perfect vicinity of the estate and Biltmore Village. (It is in walking distance in warm weather.) Also just a few miles down the road to get to all the great spots in downtown Asheville.
The breakfast we had both morning was very good and filling, although the food did not seem to be as “fancy” (which was fine with me) as the other bed & breakfast we have been staying at. The host was very friendly every morning and talked with us and other guest throughout breakfast.
We spent our down time when we got back to the Inn lounging in the sitting room by the fireplace at the main house or our spacious living room in the Carriage house. There was always fresh coffee, tea, wine, and snacks in the main house.
I do believe we have found our new place to stay when we are in Asheville. I know we will definitely stay here when we come back with our friends next January. I highly recommend this place to anyone and especially people who have never stayed at a bed & breakfast, no one here was uppity and the place is very nice without being overly frilly.

Thank you Cedar Crest for a wonderful weekend away!

Room Tip: Carriage house is great for group of friends. The main house is great for that romantic couple getaw...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank climaxnc
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Cedar Crest Bed Inn Bed and Breakfast the weekend of 1/12/13. I wish this review could be rated individually by factors such as environment, service, food, location etc.
** Please note this review is a bit lengthy, because I am recounting the details of my experience.
The style of the place is VERY much Victorian. If you like that kind of thing, then you will love the main house. I stayed at Cottage #2, which is about a 4-5 minute walk from the main house. I am glad I stayed there, because there was a lot of light and a great open feel to the place. I had the chance to walk through the rooms of the main house, and found that the bedrooms were 'busy' and small. I felt closed in by the multiple patterned fabrics (in some cases, even on the ceiling) and the plentiful dark wood.

About Cottage #2:
PROS: The cottage was roomy and beautiful with lots of light and a fireplace. I had my own private entrance and mini kitchen.
CONS: I found hair in my sheets and quite visible dust bunnies under the bed. The claw foot tub's interior didn't look like I would want to luxuriously soak in it. I didn't like that the shower curtains around the tub touched me, and that I felt smothered by fabric while standing in the tub to shower.
Helicopters fly overhead to the nearby hospital quite often. The first time one flew by, I didn't know what was causing the tremendous rumbling roar, as if the very basement of the cottage was about the break away from the foundation.

PRICE/COST:
My friend and I paid 215.35 to stay there Saturday night into Sunday, which is quite hefty, so what we didn't get as far as lodging amenities, we expected to get in hospitality and food at this B&B.
HOSPITALITY:
Unfortunately, hospitality didn't happen. The lady who I spoke with was called Lida. On the phone, she was great. When we go there, she was so standoffish that I asked her what her name was to make sure this was the same person who I talked to on the phone the previous week.
That Sunday morning at breakfast, she largely ignored my friend and me. We sat on the porch with other guests to eat breakfast, and she walked by our table multiple times. I watched as she took time to chat with the other guests and make small talk, but she never spoke to us that way.
I had requested a vegan meal the week before when I booked my reservation. When Lida brought a muffin for my vegetarian friend, she announced, "We have yet to find a vegan muffin." Then she turned and walked off. I was shocked. Epic fail! That statement made my vegan breakfast request sound ludicrous, and make her look incompetent. C'mon, this is 2012. Anyone can find a vegan muffin recipe on the Internet. Also, with world-class vegan/vegetarian restaurants like Plant and The Laughing Seed right there in town, she had NO excuse. How embarrassing for her and the establishment.
She later returned with a rather tiny saucer of fruit, which did not impress me. The main breakfast consisted of two pancakes with strawberries and blueberries in it sprinkled with powdered sugar, which looked pretty. The pancakes were made with white four, which I don't eat. Also, they were grossly undercooked. The bottom of the pancake was as pale white as the sides of the pancake. "Golden" was simply not an option for the pancakes that day. Disappointed about the white flour used, I bit into the pancake. I had to spit it out because it tasted bad. I think they forgot to put salt in it. I couldn't eat the rest of it. The syrup was not maple syrup, it was "plain ol regular pancake syrup", which is high fructose corn syrup. Again, I don't eat that. Epic fail!
Lida never came back to see if we were ok, of if we liked our food or if we needed anything. As a matter of fact, when she figured we were done, she came back and took up both our plates without even asking if we were finished. She then turned and walked away without speaking. Again, we were surprised.
We sat on that porch for another half hour and Lida never spoke to us. She never asked us if we wanted or needed anything, even though she had to pass our table first to get to the other guests on the porch. When it was time to leave, she asked if we wanted a printout of our bill. We said yes, so she did that. She never asked us if we enjoyed or stay or make any attempt at conversation. That was that, so we left.
I was so unhappy that I returned to the house and called her away from the guests to talk to her about my experience. I told her about how she never came back to see if we were ok or if we liked the food or anything that has to do with the basic tenets of hospitality. She said that "she got a vibe from my friend. I was shocked at her rudeness. She made no effort at reparation or sincere empathy. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013
9  Thank Ladyiola
cedarcrestinn, Manager at Cedar Crest Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

We get many reviews here on Trip Advisor, with 95% of them being good to great, and a few that are disheartening. This is one that is particularly hard for me to read, both on a professional level and a personal one. This is my third year working at the Cedar Crest Inn and I must say I have never had a guest who was so unhappy with my service. I do recall making the reservation and having a very pleasant conversation with the guest; she had several questions and was interested in finding out more about the inn and the area. I answered all of her questions to the best of my ability and enjoyed the conversation quite a bit. When she and her friend arrived I was here to check them in and show them around which I did following the same procedure I use with all guests: showing them our amenities, explaining their general orientation in town, asking if they had any questions, etc. Their response was always the same a polite thank you but no questions or further conversation, so I told them to make themselves at home and let me know if there was anything I could do for them.
The following morning at breakfast was much the same a polite hello and smile in response to my greeting, but no questions or extra details as to how they were doing. Each time I approached their table they seemed contently engrossed in conversation which I was hesitant to interrupt as I did not want to be rude. When I spoke to them about the necessary breakfast related things such as “I’m sorry there are no vegan muffins, but I’m having the chef put together an extra fruit dish for you” (which, by the way, I am competent enough to know they exist; I merely meant we don’t serve vegan muffins here at this time) or “I’m afraid it’s a basic pancake syrup instead of real maple syrup, but we have honey if you’d prefer” I always got the same polite but to the point “OK” or “that’s fine” type response. I finished out breakfast trying to interrupt as little as possible, because I was beginning to think I was bothering them.
I was quite surprised when they pulled me aside to point out my lack of customer service. I explained to them that, while it may have seemed I was giving the other guests much more attention than them, I was actually answering questions they had, responding to comments about dinner the night before, giving requested information about the town, etc. When I asked if there was anything I did or said that offended them or seemed rude they said no, I had just not been friendly enough. I tried to explain my perspective on the situation much as I am now and gave them a very sincere apology (I’m sorry if they didn’t realize it was). I’m also sorry that they were upset that I “made no effort at reparation.” At the time it hardly seemed appropriate as they made no mention of the very legitimate complaints of room cleanliness or undercooked pancakes, which I would have taken care of immediately if I had been given the chance. Instead, it seemed they merely wanted to point out that while I hadn’t actually done anything wrong I apparently hadn’t done anything right either. I consider making people feel welcome and comfortable the most important part of my job as an innkeeper; I could not do that for these particular guests so, again, I apologize.
Leta, Cedar Crest Inn

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We just returned from taking our Grand daughter from Australia to Asheville where, once again, we stayed at the Cedar Crest. It truly never disappoints. The staff is very gracious and accommodating; the rooms elegant and comfy and breakfast superb. Our grand daughter was so impressed; plus, we got high marks for being wonderful grandparents. I would highly recommend the Cedar Crest to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "pink" cottage which had a jack and jill bathroom setup. Perfect for tra...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for two nights in "The Stables" - the staff is top-notch and go out of their way to make sure your taken care of. Breakfast and snacks were excellent, and the Inn it's self is georgeous. The proximity to downtown Asheville and the Biltmore is a big positive also - a minute or two away at the most.

"The Stables" was nicely done with a modern decor. It even had it's own washer and dryer. ;-) It's a detached suite that gives you a bit more privacy versus the main rooms within the B&B.

We left the Cedar Crest Inn with smiles on our faces.... it was a huge factor in making a memory for the two of us that will last a lifetime. Stay here.... you will NOT be disappointed.

Room Tip: Have the staff assist you with booking your trip to the Biltmore in advance and you'll have your...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the inn. My husband and I stayed in the Romeo and Juliet room and my parents stayed in the celebration suite. The rooms were lovely, teas and hot apple cider were a pleasure in the afternoon next to the fireplace. We were told a chef was coming in the morning so we were looking forward to the breakfast. Breakfast started at 9. The chef rolled in at 8:45! We had weak watery coffee waiting for us.The first course was a very small cup of fresh cut fruit, with one pillsbury croissant baked with canned cherries inside. Second course was a small flat square of egg which had red peppers baked in it and three small slices of store packaged ham. It wasn't enough and it wasn't at all good. If there were a chef, he didn't "bake" but threw some basic store bought foods in the oven. We were all disappointed in the breakfast. My parents had stayed there previous and raved over the inn and food when the owners were running the show. We were told the owners were not able to be there now, so it's run by a manager. If the manager was there to see or taste the breakfast, I'm sure the "chef" would of been fired. I would have marked this rating excellent because of the inn experience, except for the lousy breakfast. There are too many excellent inns in Asheville to return and have a bad breakfast.

Room Tip: Before reserving, make sure you ask about bathroom and room info. Some of the bathrooms are so smal...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jennifersanders74
cedarcrestinn, Owner at Cedar Crest Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Hello:

We are so glad that our rooms met your standards and that you enjoyed 90% of your stay except your breakfast. I am happy to have stayed on par with a 3 star review as the other two hotels/BnB's you reviewed received the same score! To address the perceived negative aspects of your stay I think it is safe to say that you misunderstood some information so please allow me to clarify... Our chef who has generated numerous 5 star reviews and has been on the receiving end of countless compliments was there at 7:42 in the morning according to our electronic time card check in, not like 8:45 as you claimed in your review. The weak coffee comment should be brought to Starbucks headquarters as that is who we get our coffee from, I will opt out of complaining to them as they are held by many including myself as some of the best coffee in this nation. You are correct about some of our food items being store bought, like the ham. We do not have the facility here to raise our own meat or collect our own eggs unfortunately. Everything else in your breakfast was homemade. If you did not enjoy it simply ask, we are happy to make anything for you we can to make you happy!

In regards to the lack of ownership being on site I think a simple but unnecessary explanation should take care of that. I (the owner) live a mile down the street. I am here at the Inn right now responding this review within an hour of it appearing. The reason why my staff is taking the majority of the time at the Inn is January, February and March are SLOW months. We only make 1/2 the revenue needed to survive during these months. Most Inns in the area choose to let go of all of their staff and hire new people when the peak season returns. Although financially this may be the smartest move, it is not the move I am willing to make. As employers we provide for customers and for the welfare of our employees. I instead stop taking money and give all of the hours to the employees so they can continue with their employment and supporting their families and not living off of the income of others or better yet the government. Thank you

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cedar Crest Inn with another couple the weekend before New Year's Eve. We stayed in the two bedroom Celebration Suite and found it to be not only a great value, but a nice alternative to the hotels where we usually stay on our weekend trips to Asheville. From the inviting fireplace, to the well appointed rooms, to the wine in the evening and delicious breakfast in the morning, our stay was wonderful. My husband was feeling under the weather and they even brought him breakfast in bed.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience and I highly recommend the Cedar Crest Inn for those staying in Asheville who want a unique experience, good value and a memorable trip. Plus, you are so close to the Bltmore Estate.
Thank you Cedar Crest Inn.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the convenience of staying in the main house.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple