“Best Bed and Breakfast experience”

Carolina Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My mother, sister and I stayed in the cottage which was perfect for 3 adults, spacious but very cozy and surrounded by a gorgeous garden. The breakfast was incredible and filled us up for the morning. When we returned there were delightful appetizers and wine for social hour, and would have been enough for dinner, especially since there were sweet treats brought in the cottage for us when we retired for the evening. James and Susan are such gracious hosts and put their heart and soul into making everyone feel so welcome. We enjoyed the company of the other guests in the dining room and parlor, as we shared our days adventures. Can't say enough positive words to describe the visit and will definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Found this on Trip advisor. No complaints whatsoever. Arrive in the rain and was met by owner with an umbrella and wine. The house is super nice and not an old antique house but more modern. The owners live there and were super nice. Jim recommended a Jamacian restaurant that we walked to from the house that was excellent. Great recommendation! We stayed in the hummingbird room and it was very nice and roomy with old style tub and shower. The house is really cool and in an very established area. Breakfast was excellent and there were many couple there when we stayed. We would stay there again and highly recommend it. Close to town also and easy to find.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Carolina B&B experience continues to be outstanding. Susan and James are wonderful hosts. The breakfasts and "happy hour" are a testament to Susan's creativity and talents. Both offerings were exceptionally attentive to the various dietary requirements of the guests. The location is perfect. You can walk to downtown Asheville, or enjoy some quiet time on their beautiful porch. Carolina is also refreshing because it attracts an eclectic range of guests, all happy to share their own Asheville experience. Looking forward to next year!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had made a great choice staying here (3 nights). My boyfriend and I stayed in the cottage, separate from the main house. It rained the first two days we were there. Our cottage was super comfortable, so we did not mind the rain. The cottage has a small kitchenette, refrigerator filled with water and sodas, LCD TV, and large bathroom with rain shower/jacuzzi. It was very nice. The bed was super comfortable. Quiet neighborhood. James is an awesome host. You can ask him anything about Asheville for recommendations. Susan makes delicious 2 course breakfasts that are slight twists to the usual breakfast, served between 0830-0930. We had mango bread pudding, quiche, and french toast with a twist. They serve high quality coffee at breakfast. You can make coffee all day also with the available Keurig coffee makers. I tried to avoid the pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres since it would ruin my dinner appetite. I especially enjoyed the nighttime treats (lemon bar, cupcake and whoopie pies= super delish!) that James personally left in our cottage by evening time.
We had full access to the lower part of the main house also, enjoying the front patio to read or to do some research on hiking.
We walked to downtown frequently, an easy 15ish min safe walk.
My only recommendation for a super experience is softer toilet paper and improved toiletries (the conditioner did not condition very well).
We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our "minimoon" at the end of June and were very happy we picked this B&B. James and Susan are awesome- James really helped us plan out what we wanted to do for our 3-day weekend and pointed us towards some great hikes and restaurants. And when we returned from hiking, delicious hors d'oeuvres made by Susan and wine were awaiting us! The B&B is within walking distance of downtown, so that is a major plus- we would saunter in to town for dinner every night and enjoy the local scene. The breakfast was outstanding, too- my husband is vegetarian and they were happy to accommodate him. We stayed in the Robins Nest room- the kind size bed was very comfortable and we didn't hear a peep from any of the other rooms. I highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

After hearing so much about bed and breakfasts from my sister, I decided to try one out myself. Although I was very nervous about this new experience, thinking I was not the B&B kind, those feelings vanished as soon as my husband and I were greeted by James. The warmth of the home and the hospitality of James and Susan made me feel right at home. The delicious food, inviting atmosphere, and relaxing environment was way more than I had ever expected. James and Susan open their home so freely, making their guests feel not as guest, but as though we are apart of their family during the time of our stay. Upon returning home and sharing my experience with my sister, "the B&B Queen", I discovered that James and Susan go above and beyond the expectations of a bed and breakfast. My husband and I lived in luxury and were spoiled rotten during our 3 days at the inn. It seems nearly impossible to have this same experience anywhere else! We definitely will be making this trip to Asheville more often, just to enjoy this quiet, relaxing, amazing place, The Carolina Bed and Breakfast!

Room Tip: I personally checked out all the rooms during my stay (with the exception of the cottage) and I did...
Reviewed July 3, 2013

There's a reason this B&B has so many Excellent ratings. It's a lovely place that's conveniently located with beautifully appointed rooms. We found the photos online to be a good representation of the house. You won't be disappointed!

Susan and James are lovely. The breakfasts are breathtaking and get your day started right! James is a wealth of information on things to do and (most importantly) where to eat.

We wouldn't even consider any other place on our next trip to Asheville. If you see a room you like--book it! They fill early. The good places always do.

Room Tip: The large jacuzzi tub did not disappoint!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple