“Vegans Beware” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carolina Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Carolina Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“Vegans Beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

VEGANS BEWARE
My husband and I are both vegan. Asheville, NC is known for being a town with a ton of vegan restaurants. So when we saw the bed and breakfast advertised themselves as having vegan options, we thought we would for once have a real vegan breakfast....we should have known better. While everyone one else was enjoying their homemade quiche and sausages, we were given store bought yogurt and lukewarm oatmeal. A mushy breakfast filled with sugar and carbs. The type of breakfast you would make if you didn't have time to make breakfast. When I told the owner that we were not happy with this, she seemed extremely uncaring and basically told me that was what we were getting....not the greatest attitude towards your paying guests.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank steph c
smallblondemom, Owner at Carolina Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
It is true that we do not specialize in vegan cuisine, but we do try to make every effort to please guests with dietary restrictions. We have had many vegans stay with us and they have told us how much they enjoyed and were grateful for our efforts.

In Stephanie and Andrew's case we prepared a special plate of vegan hors d'oeuvres for them during our wine hour (Andrew mentioned how tasty they were), and left a plate of fresh raspberries and shelled pistachios in their room as an evening snack.

The first course for breakfast was fresh black berries marinated in a homemade sweet basil sauce, the same as our other guests received, with vanilla soy yogurt followed by steel-cut oats (which actually take a lot of effort and time to make properly) garnished on the side with natural brown sugar and dried cranberries.

Andrew finished his breakfast, but I noticed that Stephanie had only touched the steel-cut oats. I asked if everything was OK, and she said it was fine, she was just full.

After breakfast when Stephanie informed us of her strong disappointment, Susan was quite saddened. We told them a number of times that we were sorry she was unhappy despite all our extra efforts to please them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I recently returned from a trip to Asheville with a stay at this wonderful B&B. The main goal of my stay was to relax and unwind from daily life. I've never stayed in a B&B before, but I had a feeling it was what I was looking for. I also travelled alone, so I figured a B&B would be good for me since the opportunity to talk to the other guests presented itself every morning.

James and Susan have a wonderful place here. Everything was top notch, from the amazing breakfast in the morning, to the little things like the toiletries in the bathroom. The room (I stayed in the Miss Webb room) was perfect for me, but I would also stay in the same room if my boyfriend was to come next time (yes, I am already thinking of a next time!) The room was the only one on the main floor, but never once did "main floor noise" keep my up at night or wake me up in the morning. It was just so, so relaxing.

I know there are several B&Bs in the area, and I can't vouch for their accommodations, but Carolina Bed & Breakfast will not disappoint. Definitely keep this little gem on your list if you're planning to visit Asheville.

Room Tip: The Miss Webb room was the least expensive room, but definitely was a wonderful place to call home f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Berwyn, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

in reality the title is misleading because although initially we stayed 1 night, the next day we decided to stay an additional night. the following day we again extended our stay by another night and finally we stayed a 4th night.
my wife and I decided to stay the 1st night to check out Asheville. After visiting the Biltmore estate(very impresive as the largest private home in the country-256 rooms is what I remember hearing).Then we decided to stay and additional day to see the art galleries(didn't see all of them and it still took 2 days) the last day we went to see properties for purchase for retiring there.

Room Tip: 1st night stayed at the mockingbird room (least expensive).next 3 nights stayed at the cottage since...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wrxbob1
Kings Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Cottage and we could not have loved it more! Everything was wonderful, James and Susan are warm and wonderful hosts, who took a real interest in making sure our stay was enjoyable. The gourmet breakfasts were outstanding and the little treats left in our room at night hit the spot after we walked back from downtown after dinner. James was a wealth of information about restaurants, day trips and all things Asheville. I hope the title of this review sums up how we felt about our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald P
Sewanee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary by staying at the Carolina B&B in Asheville. We were warmly greeted by James immediately upon our arrival. Not long after, we were also pleasantly greeted by Susan. We stayed in the Humminbird Room which my wife had picked out prior to the trip. Because I had elected the romance package, upon arriving in the room my wife was greeted by a dozen roses in a crystal vase, some ultra-delicious fine locally made chocolates, and a chilled bottle of champagne from the Biltmore Estate winery.

At 5:30 p.m., we gathered in the large living room with other guests and had glasses of nice Biltmore wines while enjoying the scrumptuous hors-d'oeuvres made by chef Susan. As a singer/songwriter, I brought my guitar and provided free entertainment to all of our newly made friends (this is somewhat of a tradition for musician-guests at Carolina).

James and Susan are a treat to get to know, and Pat and I now consider them personal friends.
The house is impeccable and is incredibly decorated with both family heirlooms as well as items they have collected from around the world during their 27 years of living overseas. James' table waiting was so subtle and unobtrusive that one hardly noticed him serving the exquisite food or whisking away the empty dishes. And, speaking of the food, Susan's dishes were the best!

Pat and I give Carolina B&B our highest recommendation. Everything about the experience was totally cool and worth every penny and more. Do yourself a favor and give them a try--you will not regret it.

Dr. Norman & Pat West
Sewanee, TN

Room Tip: Simply check out their website.
1 Thank doctornorm
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was our first stay to a bed and breakfast and I think we will have trouble finding another like it! James and Susan were excellent hosts, giving tips on things to do around town and places to eat. The food at the bed and breakfast was excellent! Breakfast was filling and the nightly treats were an unexpected surprise! It's a great location as well, we had no difficulties getting to and from our various activities. We would definitely stay again.

Washington County, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

An outstanding place to stay!
I needed gluten-free foods and got quite a surprise with the quality (taste and presentation) of the special gluten-free breakfast and more. Susan is an outstanding cook!
We stayed in the Cottage, and I would certainly recommend it.
The place was within walking distance of downtown Asheville, so no parking problems, and the recommendations from James regarding places to eat were on-target.

I'm sure we'll be returning!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple