“Relaxation and Comfort at Applewood Manor”

Applewood Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Oakton, VA
“Relaxation and Comfort at Applewood Manor”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stayed at the B&B for seven nights -- a long vacation in the NC mountains with my husband and dog. We had a wonderful stay -- the owners Nancy and Larry were so friendly, courteous and treated us like family.

Nancy is a wonderful cook and loves to cook for guests. She is willing to accommodate nutritional requests and any other requests you may have.

They both did a wonderful job of making us feel at ease and gave us privacy when we needed it.

The inn itself is beautiful -- we stayed in the private cottage, which was also decorated very nice and very comfortable (and quiet).

The grounds are kept well-manicured and they have plenty of space to sit outside and relax.

We had a wonderful time and were very happy staying there.

• Liked — the friendliness of the owners and the privacy
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
South Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I highly recommend the Applewood Manor Inn!! Nancy and Larry offered us the hospitality of old friends, and the home was so comfortable we felt instantly at ease!

We stayed at another Bed and Breakfast during the first few days of our honeymoon, and had a great experience, but were SO glad to spend several days relaxing in quiet and comfort at the Applewood! We spent the last 2 days of our honeymoon there and wish we had stayed longer - we'll definitely be going back for anniversaries and weekend getaways!

Thank you Larry and Nancy for an incredible visit!
We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2008
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We had a wonderful anniversary stay in early June. Nancy and Larry were so accommodating and thoughtful. She helped order roses to surprise me at my husband's request, and they made sure to allow us to have breakfast at our own table so we could enjoy each other and not have to socialize.

Breakfast is most amazing! My favorite is the lemon pound cake that Nancy makes. She toasts up the slices and serves with cream cheese. We had some really yummy omelets and out of this world Dutch Babies.

The Granny Smith room was wonderful and had its own porch. (I will mention that the shower is a stall, and if you are a larger-sized person, you may want to ask to book the rooms with larger bathtub showers. It was a fine size for us.)

We definitely will be back on our next trip to Asheville.

• Stayed June 2008
South Carolina
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My husband and I are in our late 20's and we really enjoyed our stay at the Applewood. He was skeptical about staying at a B&B, but this trip changed his mind! Nancy and Larry are such an accommodating couple -- they entertain with low-key style at breakfast and then again at "social hour." I am not sure about other B&B owners but these were not invasive at all. There was just the right balance of interacting and privacy, which I can imagine doesn't happen everywhere. Nancy and Larry give you free reign of the public areas, which have a DVD collection and a flatscreen TV with fireplace. Also, check in and check out was a sinch. There were no hidden fees or any of that junk.
The property is beautiful; they have recently landscaped the grounds, and it is complete with hammock, tree-swing, and sitting veranda with lovely rock wall. I used the tree swing and felt like a kid again! There is a private drive so that you do not have to park on the street, which is a plus. I drove by one car parked on the road that had the rearview mirror hanging off where someone had side-swiped it; so glad that wasn't mine!!
It was our anniversary, and Nancy gave us a potted violet and touching card as a way to remember our stay. I am going to try to keep that thing alive as long as I possibly can in honor of Nancy! If we return to Asheville, I'll give you one guess as to where I'll be staying.....

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Woods Hole, MA
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We had an excellent visit at the Applewood Manor Bed & Breakfast. Our hosts were extremely warm and accomodating. I loved the special touches like the afternoon snacks, coffee at 7:30am and chocolates left on our pillows. I found this B&B to be a great value.

• Liked — friendliness of hosts, great food
  • Disliked — small room (but we also picked the least expensive)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 18, 2008

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend in Asheville and stayed at the Applewood for two nights. This is a wonderful Inn run by the most gracious hosts. Nancy and Larry really know how to make their guests feel welcome and at home.

We had a suite on the 3rd floor which was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Upon arrival the ice bucket was full, bottle water provided and fresh flowers in the room. The bathroom was large and they provided all the amenities one would need. I especially enjoyed the vanity and chair where I could sit and apply my makeup! We also had fluffy white robes for our use during the stay.

The home is beautiful and the food divine. One could get spoiled being served breakfast everyday.

It was a wonderful stay, we enjoyed the other guests staying in the Inn and hopefully will go back soon.

Laurie and Roger

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed March 9, 2008

When we first arrived, Nancy made us feel comfortable and at home. She anticipated any questions and we felt really relaxed that the residence was there for us to enjoy.

We stayed in the Cortland Cottage which is separate from the main house and very private. It was cool outside, but the Tudor heater kept the cottage toasty and warm. Had 2 great nights of sleep and the king bed was cozy. The neighborhood is very peaceful.

Breakfast was outstanding. Try the Dutch Bunnies - Yummmm! Make sure Larry doesn't forget to light the candles, that's part of his job! (That was a story!)

Having stayed at many, many, many B&B's, this is the first time I've experienced one that says they have afternoon tea, and then actually had it available and set up to encourage you to join in. Actually, it is tea, wine, cheese and crackers and was a nice social event to talk to other guests about what they did that day and get ideas for other things to do in the area. Of course, we had been asked our wine preferences ahead of time, and the choice our hosts made was perfect! If socializing isn't your thing, there are rooms and decks all around the house where you can go off on your own.

Don't miss this one, the rates are reasonable and the value is great.

J. & R. Raleigh, NC

• Liked — Hosts made you feel at home and wanted you to enjoy the residence.
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple