“This B and B is a throwback to the 80's and 90's”

Applewood Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We love staying in B&B's, but they just don't seem to be as nice as they were 10-20 years ago and the personal touches are gone. Not at the Applewood! The hosts are just terrific and we even had a mix up on the dates. We had reservation mix up and not only did they not charge us for the "no show" night, but they found us another B&B for the extra night in which they could not accommodate us. This was a mutual mistake, but they insisted on full responsibility. The inn is lovely, food delicious and simply a very comfortable place to stay, but it is the hosts that make the Applewood an inn that I would want to return to.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Larry and Nancy are the most welcoming hosts I have ever experienced.... They serve a 5 star breakfast ....then come into dining room to visit... I loved it! More like staying with family!! They are very knowledgable about the Asheville and the area if you will just ask..the two dogs make the " homey" feel even more "homey" ( if that is possible) we stayed in the Northern Spy room... It is a super cozy room... Will stay here if we ever make it to Asheville again. I loved the fact that the stairs creak when I head down to breakfast..and I went barefoot!! Such a comfortable atmosphere!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Everything about this B&B experience was absolutely wonderful. We stayed in the Granny Smith room and the private 2nd floor balcony was perfect for relaxing with a glass of vino after a day of sightseeing. Nancy and Larry were great hosts who have mastered how to provide just the right amount of interaction to make you feel at home while also giving you privacy. The B&B is located in a beautiful and quiet neighborhood only about a 20 minute safe walk to the downtown Asheville shopping and restaurants. Nancy's three course breakfast was spectacular and Larry's friendly service was enjoyable and entertaining. He has quite a knack for remembering the names of all guests in his dining room. Without hesitation, we recommend you choose to stay at the Applewood Manor Inn when visiting Asheville.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim C
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The best! We could not have picked a better place. The house, hosts, cleanliness, atmosphere, incredible breakfast......location, happy hour. I could go on and on. We were celebrating a friend's birthday and chose the perfect place! This was my first experience at a B & B and they have set the bar high!
~Shelley

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shelley W
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Nancy and Larry were the perfect hosts. We were celebrating a birthday by escaping to their bed and breakfast for a weekend of tours ,fine food, and wine. They provided it all! The breakfasts were outstanding, and Larry's jokes were even entertaining. The rooms had such personality and were extremely comfortable. They set up our trip to the Biltmore Estates , and recommended the best restaurants in the Asheville area. The Apple Wood Manor Inn is definitely a must do if you are in the Asheville area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at many B&Bs, at home and abroad, and Applewood is the best yet! The other reviewers do not exaggerate.

Overview:
Free wine and cheese happy hour
Comfortable beds
Incredible hospitality
Spotless accommodation
Charming "antique-y" rooms but with all the modern conveniences
Good location, central to Asheville (5 minute drive)

We stayed in the Macintosh room, which I would highly recommend. It has a private balcony with double Adirondack chair that overlooks the gorgeous backyard. We brought our complimentary wine and cheese up to the balcony each day and just soaked in the setting. The Macintosh also has a jetted tub, generous sized room, comfy bed, gas fireplace, DVD player built into the TV -- all the amenities for a comfortable and romantic stay. We celebrated our anniversary there (like another reviewer) and were given a potted plant to say "happy anniversary", which I thought was a nice touch. We felt at home from the second we walked in - Nancy greeted us with effervescent friendliness.

Nancy and Larry, the hostess and host, are charming and personable. Nancy's cooking is amazing - it's a 3 course breakfast every morning, which is written on a chalkboard the night before so that you know what to look forward to. Our first day there we had mango and raspberries with optional homemade granola and yogurt, apple cheddar bread with cream cheese, and a choice of quiche. Our second morning, we had a date bread served with cream cheese, followed by blueberries and pineapple (again, with optional granola and yogurt), and then blueberry pancakes with bacon. The food was so delicious, you'll swear off your diet! Larry "emcees" the breakfast and he's funny and engaging. There is one main table with 2 small "tete-a-tete" tables in the room as well. Our group was great - everyone just sat and chatted in the morning - which was a great way to pick up things to do.

I would mention that although the Inn is technically walkable to town, it would be a good 15 minute walk. We didn't fancy doing so at night or late (after dinner) so we always drove into town, which is a quick 5 minute drive. Pack quarters if you want to use the meters!

I don't know what else to say except to throw out superlatives - amazing stay, incredible hospitality, wonderful accommodations. If we're ever in the area again, Applewood Manor would be our first choice!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DelawareGrl
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was my 2nd time (my husband's 3rd) staying at this B&B. We love this place. Larry and Nancy are now like family to us. Last time I was there, I was dieting (I'm a yo yo dieter!), nancy remembered and offered to make a special breakfast again. I declined since I had decided to eat this trip - I am so glad I did. The food is amazing!

This trip was really unique because we rode our motorcycle to Asheville. Just so happens, Larry has a bike. He proposed a joint ride with him and his brother-in-law. It was great. They took us down through Maggy Valley, then Cherokee, then back via the parkway - was beautiful! Talk about going above and beyond!

This is one of those places where you feel at home. We will be back time and time again!

PS - the rooms are great too!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple