“Expensive for what it is disappointing breakfast.”
Review of Aberdeen Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aberdeen Inn
Ranked #29 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
“Expensive for what it is disappointing breakfast.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The room that my husband and I stayed in was clean and cozy. This was our first stay in a bed and breakfast. The location was wonderful close to everything. However, after reading many reviews about the chef we were thoroughly disappointed. We had no choice in what our meal was the coffee was terrible, everything seemed microwaved and we both left hungry and ended up going out to eat breakfast. We had expected options as to what we would able to eat not the case we ended up with a wierd quiche with marinara sauce. Yuck! The location and room were good but for the price tag breakfast was truly hopeless.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Macycruz
Thomas B, Owner at Aberdeen Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
We are very sorry that our guests were disappointed in the breakfast. As is the case in most B&Bs there is not choice at breakfast. In our case we first gather any information pretaining to dietary needs so as to prevent any problems.(allergies, "don't eats" etc0 It is our prctice to run a savory breakfast(egg dishes) one day and sweet breakfast the next.(pancakes, waffles, feench taost). All breakfasts are made fresh each day - sometimes if timing is off we will not keep something under warming lights too long and therefore may have to bring it back to temperature in a microwave. This prevents drying out of the entree. Our coffee is brewed on the strong side which has become the desire of most guests. All things considered we are happy to try and accommodate any guests needs. In this case, nothing was mentioned us while they were here and for that we are also very sorry. We hope these guests will grant us another opportunity in the future and be more open about their desires. Thank you Tom the owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed in this somewhat unique B & B mid May. I've stayed in a lot of B & B's, and the results in general have been pretty good. Staying at the Aberdeen, it was a little deja vous. It seems quite common that one or the other of married innkeepers have some history of culinary training or experience. Interestingly, this often seems to result in strange breakfasts that are "over done" in an effort to impress. To make matters worse, this also seems to be accompanied by the the cook, the spouse, or both, standing over you watching your every bite and reaction. Certainly an intersting psychology study! The breakfasts were pretty good, but just too over the top.

Tom is a little overbearing and needs to get a grip on the concept of personal space. It doesn't bother me too much, but women are much more sensitive to a strange man who stands too close for too long for no good reason.

All in all, we had a good experience at Aberdeen. Other than the breakfast experiences, the only thing I would change is the size of the bathroom in the Rose Room. They tried, but it is just really too small. If I were a big person, or an older person, the bathroom would not work. Folks, it's SMALL!

If you can get a room here on a special rate, it's definitely worth it. If you are paying the same price as many of the other better known inns in town, try one of them.

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic, do not select the Rose Room. The room is fine but the bathroom is probabl...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David J
, Owner at Aberdeen Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
We truly apologize for any discomfort cause the guest. The bathroom in the Rose room was converted in 1978 and the space was a former closet. There was and still is not any additional space to add to that bathroom. However we will make every effort to explain its size to possible guests when they are reserving a room and that room is being considered. Our breakfasts have never been termed strange we apologize for any preserntation erors. They are large breakfasts which enjoy preparing and for 17 years have been highly rated and enjoyed by almost all. We do often send people to our web site where there are pictures and explanations of sample breakfasts. We certainly do not expect all to be inthe clean plate club but we do want never to have a guest not getting enough to eat. Since we ask every guest about allergies, "don't eats" and the likt in their eating tastes we are trying to stay out of troulbe here. We will work harder. We are people who like people and like to have exchange with them at breakfast or other times around the Inn. We will work at not being overbearing in the future. Thanks to the reviewer and we hope they will come back.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Best breakfasts I've ever eaten in a B&B. A hotel matching the quality of accommodation and food would be a very expensive one. I'll definitely go back if I'm in Asheville again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Timberville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The hostess of the inn Michelle was a polite and very accomodating woman. She allowed us to check in early and freshen up before our business meeting. Our room was clean but had a TINY bathroom. As I am not accustomed to B&B's perhaps this is the norm?
Now to the huge reason I would never stay here again...Tom. Tom has a sense of humor that was only funny to him, I can assure you.
At check-in with Tom we were told we had to pay an extra fee to use the daybed that was in our room. I believe it was $20.00 extra but I don't remember exactly. We opted to sleep together to save the extra money. It would have been nice to know this in advance.
After an exhausting day my friend gets up in the middle of the night for a drink to find Tom sitting at the computer below our room in his boxer shorts. I realize he lives there but how extremely unprofessional can one person be?
At breakfast we had to listen to him go on and on about his cooking skills, which at best were just okay. The menu was a combination of oddities in my opinion. A more regular breakfast served would be my suggestion. Not everyone enjoys gingerbread waffles and making this a main staple of the breakfast was not a good idea. Perhaps make this the main entree but offer something else to people who may not want that type of thing to eat.
Along with his mediocre cooking skills Tom was very rude while serving us. Instead of asking for an empty plate to be handed to him he pointed and grunted. This is not at all what I expected from a stay at a B&B, hopefully they are not all like this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Lisa H
Thomas B, Owner at Aberdeen Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
We are very sad to read that these guests were so disappointed in our Inn. Being as we were running such a significant special for the month of May, we were charging a one time charge for use of the second bed in the room just to cover housekeeping costs. We are so sorry that wasn't made clear upon booking, and can assure you additional charges will always be clarified in the future.
Tom often has difficulty sleeping thrugh the night and goes out to the computor to work rather than have two people up. He sits there either in a robe, or in shorts and a t-shirt which was the case that night. We apologize for the misunderstanding.
Breakfasts are alternated; sweet breakfast one day and egg dishes the next. We accomodate special requests, and offer other options if a guest indicates the choice of the day is not something they would eat; however, in this case that was not communicated. Our breakfasts are highly regarded by our guests as you can see from other comments listed below.
Tom is a very social person and loves to chat with guests. We again apologize that his banter was something the guest did not find enjoyable. Again, our sincere apologies in that we failed to meet your expectations, but thank you for the feedback.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I was thoroughly disappointed at the treatment a friend and I received at the Aberdeen Inn. After arriving at the Inn and walking along the front porch to the front entrance, I was surprised to find the front door locked at 2:00 pm. I could see Tom, the Inn Keeper, in his office chair about 3 ft from the front door playing Solitaire on his computer. I politely knocked on the door to get his attention only to be waved away like I was bothering him. I WISH I was kidding. I thought to myself, maybe this is his sense of humor. Hmmm. I knocked again and this time he left his roost to answer the door. He immediately asked me where my friend was and who was paying for the room. When I told him that I would be resting from my drive until she got off work (She lives in the area) he proceeded to tell me that her husband had booked the room with a credit card number but "that wasn't going to cut it" he had to have a physical credit card to hold the room... I was shocked. How Rude!
The neighborhood seemed a little sketchy and tacky doesn't begin to describe the decor, not the classy place I expected from the website. Cheap beer and wine in the fridge and with Tom creeping about the house the atmosphere was awkward. Michelle seemed nice enough but according to their webpage; "Michele is fulfilling a long passion for opening and running a bed and breakfast. As Aberdeen Inn's pastry chef she bakes all the home made breakfast goodies." There were NO Homemade Pastry for breakfast.
We did meet some super nice people over breakfast which is served from 8:30 to 9:30 and began a lovely conversation with them. As we were getting to know them, Tom rudely kept interrupting us to blab about his culinary "skills". Ughhh, after all that we overheard him tell Michelle that he couldn't finish wiping off the tables because there were still people AT the tables, meaning us. My friend asked if her was trying to get rid of us and he pompously replied, "You have to be checked out by 11:00 and it's already 10:15".
I pride myself on having a great sense of humor but if this is Tom's idea of being funny I don't get it.
On a positive note, the bed in the room we stayed in was very comfortable. All in all the trip was a memorable one because I had a great visit with my best friend and we both made light of the situation but for anyone interested in relaxing, I would choose somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank rudepeoplesuck
Thomas B, Owner at Aberdeen Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
We are distressed to see such unhappiness on the part of one of our guests. We often lock the front door during the day if we are working outside in the back or in the basement, as we would prefer not to have someone walking around in the house without our knowledge. Tom had returned to the upstairs and had failed to open the door again for which we are sorry..
Our neighborhood is middle class and not in the historic district, but our prices reflect that. We are surrounded by working people who love their neighborhood and are very friendly, both to us and our guests, should they have the opportunity to interact. It is a safe neighborhood, with people walking dogs and children playing. Our furnishings are exactly as indicated on the web site. You will find the furniture in the pictures the same in the room.
We serve American wines and beer, which apparently did not meet the guests requirements, and are available 24/7.
It was actually after 10:30 when Tom commented about the checkout time, as we had guests coming for the rooms and needed to prepare them, and our checkout time is 11am. A discussion did occur between us regarding cleaning the tables, but I was unaware people were still on the breakfast porch. I am sorry someone heard that. It was not meant to drive people out, but purely to follow up on work..
Again, our apologies. It is distressing to hear such things, but we appreciate the opportunity to set the record straight and make necessary changes.
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My wife and I spent a long weekend at the Aberdeen Inn last October while attending a seminar in Asheville. Our room was very comfortable and quiet, as the inn is in a residential neighborhood. We were within walking distance of downtown, and a short drive from many great restaurants. But the highlight of our stay was the wonderful gourmet breakfasts prepared lovingly every morning by our hosts. Each breakfast was different, and every one was more delicious than the previous one. We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit Asheville!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

If you're looking for a quaint, relaxing B&B in the heart of Asheville's tree streets, then look no more. The Aberdeen Inn is perfect! The rooms are comfortable and quiet and the views from the front porches are amazing. Tom and Michele are very laid back and take care of everything. Breakfast was delightful. We plan to come back.

• Stayed April 2012