“We love the Aberdeen!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aberdeen Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aberdeen Inn
Ranked #31 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
New Albany, Indiana
“We love the Aberdeen!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

I have cumulatively stayed at the Aberdeen for 28 nights over the past 3 years. I travel all over the country and stay in hotels all the time and can say with authority that there's nothing like staying with Tom and Michele. They and their staff take such good care of their guests, it's better than being home. Bring your appetite to breakfast because it's always delicious and well-prepared. The Inn is a little off the beaten path, but it's still an easy walk to downtown and the neighborhood is friendly, quiet and full of character. The grounds are so beautiful, we got married there last weekend. No kidding! The day afterward was spent reading and napping on the big breezy front porch.

Room Tip: The Mt. Laurel has the biggest bathroom, the Rose is the biggest room overall. All the rooms are gr...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Corsica, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

We stayed a few days at the Aberdeen Inn with my wife and our 15-month old daughter. Although, like most B&B, the place was not specifically well structured to welcome young children, Tom and Michele did their utmost to make us feel comfortable. They are both real nice welcoming hosts.
The breakfast was delicious and beverages were always available (sodas, beers, wine, coffee) when we needed them.
We stayed in the cottage, that had plenty of space and was perfect with children. It was also very good value for money (we did get the summer promotional rates).
I have read some reviews describing the neighbourhood as "dodgy" and I feel this is truly unfair. Yes, it is not the top "bourgeois" area of Asheville but it is a lovely neighbourhood. I really enjoyed the hilly setting and the houses all looking different that gave a bit of character to the place. I walked my young daughter in her pushchair all around and people would say hi from their porche and chit-chat with me. Leaving in Hampstead, London, I know about good neighbourhood, and I feel sorry for the people who felt unsecure around there!
Only negative point was the lack of a crib for our daughter, which we feel we should have been told about before arriving as we had explicitely requested it. But overall a very good stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

The reason this review is several months delayed is that I didn't think to write one until I Googled the Aberdeen Inn to check on availability for a return trip to Asheville.

For her birthday last August, my sister arranged for several family members to stay at the Aberdeen, and it was a great choice. Tom & Michele are wonderful hosts and a delightful pair of characters. The rooms are large, comfortable and funky — nothing like a chain hotel (thank heavens!). The neighborhood is equally funky, but a real slice of Asheville: charming old homes and crooked streets, neighbors tending to yards and washing cars at the curb. Unlike some of the reviewers, we felt completely safe and secure.

My wife and I have stayed at B&Bs all over the country, and I must say that the breakfast half of the equation is almost always given short shrift. But not at the Aberdeen! Breakfast is a culinary feast, artfully served and perfect in every detail, down to the ambient music from the inn's huge selection. Tom fusses over your comfort and satisfaction with aplomb, while he jousts and wise-cracks at the same time, keeping the mood of the dining room(s) happy and relaxed. No stiff formality or subdued whispering here.

Michele and Tom also hosted a birthday dinner, pre-arranged by my sister. There were about fifteen of us, as I recall. Again, no detail was overlooked. The food was delicious and the enire meal was delightful. For special events (like a family party), the Aberdeen is a top notch choice. I can't recommend it enough ...!

George Luce, Denver, CO

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Mount Dora, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

My wife and I found the Aberdeen Inn to be an extraordinary Bed and Breakfast! Having traveled to 37 countries and stayed in many Bed and Breakfast Accommodations, the Aberdeen Inn easily ranks in the top 5! The room was spacious, comfortable, and the area was quiet and delightful. Having visited Asheville many times, we found the location to be quiet, safe and convenient to downtown and not far from sightseeing, shopping and a trip to Biltmore House. Tom, the Proprietor, is fully qualified as a 5-Star chef, and the breakfast meals were par with the best hotels in Europe and the US. Would highly recommend the Aberdeen to adults in particular!!!

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Belmont,NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

We had never been to a bed and breakfast before,,so we ventured out and came upon the Aberdeen Inn. For the money it was what we were look,ing for,.It was our honeymoon weekend we stayed 3 night and 4 days. Well we finally got there and this beautiful house on a hill was already decorated for Christmas! just what I liked to see..As we entered the house we had a warm welcome from Tom first of all outside...then both inside..The house was so beautifully decorated inside. we checked in and Michelle took our pic on the stairs and they just provided friendly service throughout the whole weekend.. The Rose room is where we stayed it was so pretty , it had a fireplace and canopy bed it was just what we wanted for our special day! Also they gave us complementry champagne for the eveningand throughout the day we also had all the wine and beer we wanted! The breakfast everyday was so good,!, more than I could ever imagine.Tom is a master chef and Michelle has exp in Pastrys they were awesome! Anyway the college girls always kept the room nice and clean every other day and our bed was always made up for us..this house would be somewhere we would definitely come back to!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Greenville, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

I took a much needed break away from home with my bestfriend, for a girl's weekend! This trip was months in the planning, and we were both very excited about the trip. We had looked at so many bed and breakfasts online, and the Aberdeen Inn looked just right for us. They advertised with beautiful pictures of the house, the grounds and the rooms. To put it mildly, i was very dissapointed with our entire experience.
The Inn is located in a run-down neighborhood, and I felt uncomfortable leaving my car in the parking lot. The grounds of the Inn are not well maintained, and it was a turn off from the very beginning. When entering into the main parlor of the house, the "office area" was a mess of cluttered papers, scattered all over the desk. The one common area, which was cozy enough, was filled with the owners personal guests the entire weekend; we did not feel welcomed into the one area, outside our room, to relax. Upon arrival, we were not escorted to our room, we were merely pointed in the right direction and off we went to our room. The pictures online promised comfort and pleanty of space. The room was very small and cramped; there were two chairs in the picture of the room, but one was taken out and placed else where. The bathroom was tidy but not clean; there was mildew on the shower curtain and hair in the drain.
During our leisure time at night, we were looking forward to a glass of wine and some social time. Each night, the red wine bottles were empty, and the white wine "box" was found in the frig. This was not the classy experience I was expecting AT ALL! We checked out of the Inn as soon as we woke up ( a good 2 hours before checkout time), and when we were paying our bill the owner asked if we would like to add additional money to help cover a tip for the house cleaning crew....THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO CLEAN FIRST!!
The Inn had a great summer rate of $99 a night; I would have been less disappointed if that were the yearly running rate for this establishment. $180 a night is a rip off! Please do not even consider spending your time or money at this Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank ecsosebee
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Upon arrival at the Aberdeen Inn, I was far from impressed. While the location is convenient to Asheville's downtown attractions, the part of town is a little precarious, to say the least. You have to drive through run down converted apartments, zig zag past trash and dumpster filled curbs, and hope that locking your car doors at night would keep it safe enough. Broken flower pots greeted us on the front porch, and stayed there for the remaining of the weekend.
The room was tidy enough, but far from spacious. While giving the bathroom a once over, which was an extremely tight squeeze, I discovered mold in the shower curtain and hair in the drain. Needless to say it was a showerless weekend. The inn keepers were entertaining out of town friends, and after returning from dinner both Friday and Saturday nights, we found the parlor occupied by them and the wine bottles empty. So my friend and I were forced to try and relax in our tiny room, while her small infant was sleeping. When asked if Tom, the inn keeper would mind heating up the baby's milk for a mere 20 seconds, he sighed quite loudly and snorted "I guess...."
Both nights we were awoken by the water cooler in the upstairs hallway near our room. Every time a guest creaked down the wood floor to get water, the cooler would glug glug loudly and wake us up. Upon checkout, our bill totaled over $360 and Tom said that we could add any extra to that for the house keeping!!! What house keeping??!!??
The only positives I have about this Inn is that the inn keepers gave great suggestions about where to eat for dinner, good directions for traveling to downtown, and they went above and beyond to entertain THEIR personal guests. I cannot get over the fact that we payed $170 a night for mildewed shower curtains, false promises for wine, cramped sleeping quarters, and common areas that we were unable to use. I was shocked that there were not any other reviews like this for the Inn, and hope that someone takes this to heart when considering the Aberdeen Inn. Please, DO NOT consider the Aberdeen Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends