“Different, Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chorizo - CLOSED

Chorizo
Cuisines: Latin, South American, Central American, Mexican, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Hutchinson, Kansas
“Different, Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

We thought a Latin restaurant in North Carolina sounded intresting... and it was. We had the "volcano" appetizer, which is hard to describe, but was good. (Not incredible, but good.) My husband had the paella. He liked it - but he's easy to please. I immediately was confused by the paella because the waiter promised it would take no more than 15 minutes. Traditional paella takes longer than that, of course. This was not paella out of a paella with fluffy saffon rice and a (sometimes) crispy bottom. It was more of a Spanish-inspired seafood stew with rice - a LOT of saffon colored liquid with some rice and seafood. Like I said, my husband liked it, but don't expect true paella if you order it. I had the chimichanga. I liked the way the tortilla was done - lightly fried and not greasy. But the filling was wayyyy too much unless you have a massive appetite. And, after a while, it all just started to taste the same. It was supposed to be a mix of chicken and chorizo and whatnot, but seemed like an awful lot of chicken. And because of the heavy seasoning, it was just over powering. To top it off, my husband had a mojito, which really just wasn't good - very bitter and an indetectible amount of alcohol. The severice was friendly and pretty decent. I would give this restaurant a try if you are inclined to like Latin fare. If you're really into Cuban food specifically, I noticed a Cuban restauran further up the road after we had dinner and I kind of wish we had tried it.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“ate there once, won't be...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

ate there once, won't be going back

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“mojitos!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

mojitos!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
South Carolina
“Good, but enough with the hummus already!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

I’m just your normal Joe when it comes to food. I like the Americanized versions of food, sure it’s a bit bland, but I’m just not a ‘worldly’ traveler and this is who the review is for.

We were looking for a place down town to eat, came across Chorizo and I recognized the name. We sat in a narrow hallway where it was a bit hard to escape the noise. Most of the noise came from a woman loudly interviewing a kid for a job as some local business. While there is better seating there, we missed that due to the rain taking the outdoor dining out of the equation.

I ordered the burrito (to simplify the name) which seemed the most recognizable of the lunch items. I may not have read the menu closely or just the continuing interview to my left was killing my attention, but I wasn’t really prepared for the burrito to come.

I guess because it’s ‘Latin’ food and not ‘Mexican’ I was a little thrown. The burrito was great looking, very large, side of salad, fresh chopped tomato, some salsa a few chips. All in all a nice enough presentation that I took a pic that I’ll add later if possible. I wasn’t so sure of the gray dressing on the salad. It’s just a rather abnormal dressing color for me. I’m more of a ranch kinda guy. The burrito was filled with chicken, guacamole and hummus. I’m a fan of the first ingredient, not of the second two. Again, it may have said it on the menu and my attention was pulled from it, but I didn’t expect this. Again; I’m not a hummus fan. I’m not a guacamole fan. I’d rather my entrée was filled with meat rather than smashed up corn, but maybe that’s just me. So, there was a lot of picking and tearing involved with eating this. I didn’t venture into the gray coated salad either.

I can tell for the right person, this place would be terrific; I’m just a little too run-of-the-mill for it. The presentation was great, seating anywhere but the hallway would have been great as well. So, if you have a more adventurous palate than mine, go for it. Otherwise, you may want to stick to something else.

North Carolina
“Best Restaurant in Asheville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

Excellent, amazing, flavorful. This really is the best restaurant in Asheville. I have a hard time going anywhere else because I know I could be at Chorizo. The portions are large. When the weather is warm, try to get one of the tables outside.