“Not a place I would stay again.”

Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown
Ranked #45 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Florida
“Not a place I would stay again.”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I stayed at this hotel because of the convenient location to downtown, which IS great. However, our room was seriously wet with moisture and it smelled extremely musty. Overall, the room was very unclean (hair on the towels and all over the bathroom), the sheet smelled very bad. I was on a short stay and they claimed to be booked, so I didn't have time to deal with complaints. They may have placed us in this room because of the fact that we were traveling with our dog, but mind you, we payed $50 extra to accommodate him. I would not recommend staying here or paying extra for your pet to. I felt bad leaving him sleeping on the floor in that room. There are other hotels in the area that are much nicer and allow pets for similar pricing.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
FourPointsAVL, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
I apologize for the condition of the room; both the housekeeping and engineering staff have been notified. We hope you will give us another chance. If you're in the area again, please give us a call so that we can make this experience up to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We had an enjoyable 4-night stay at the Sheraton. While the hotel isn't fancy or upscale, they more than make up for it with a very folksy and helpful approach to their guests. When we casually remarked that the rooms didn't have mini-fridges, the front desk clerk offered to bring one up to the room. When my kids wanted to reheat their leftover pizza from mellow mushroom, the staff took them to a microwave near the kitchen. When we asked for some milk, the staff brought us a big glass --no charge. The staff are low-key and not overly officious, but they obviously care about their guests and want to be helpful. They aren't just putting on a positive face because they have to. If you want to be pampered and catered to, then choose another place. Your dishes won't get picked up right away from outside your room, and the lobby isn't pretentious. But if you want a spacious, convenient hotel with caring staff, easy parking, free internet, a nice pool, a sand volleyball court and no uptight rules, then this the place.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank raleigh1308
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We frequently go to Asheville to walk around, shop, people-watch, and enjoy good food and local beer. This hotel has become a must for us on overnight trips, mainly because of location (just a short walk to anywhere downtown) and value (reasonable price for a king room, basic amenities, comfortable furniture -- nothing fancy).

Our last visit was during the Bele Chere festival, and we were in a room at the end of the hotel, near the elevator (rather than in the middle of a long hallway). Despite the festival crowds, we were never disturbed by noise...not even once.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cbarksd1
FourPointsAVL, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit! Thank you so much for the positive feedback. Please let us know when you'll be arriving for your next Asheville adventure; we hope to see you again soon!
chicagoland
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This should not be listed as a 3 star with AAA and Priceline! I have stayed at Hampton 2 stars that are much better.
Pros:Near downtown, clean updated rooms, very friendly staff...they called us immediately after each request (we requested blanket and extra pillow) and they checked to make sure we received.
Cons: The hotel cannot help its situation...... right on the express way...no views. The pool is outside open for view by street passers. The hallways are...well creepy! The doors are painted dark brown. The carpet is updated, but the lighting is very dark...kind of like being in a movie in an old apartment building. Some guests left their doors open as though they lived there. Weird. Once inside your room.. you feel okay. The rooms and bathroom...though very clean...updated...are a bit tight. All in all....if this place would brighten up lobby, hallways and elevator....it would "feel" less creepy

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
FourPointsAVL, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately you're right in that we cannot help the situation very much. We are definitely hoping that the Starwood designers take feedback like yours into consideration when implementing the new standards. We have passed your feelings and suggestions along. We hope you'll give us another chance.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We booked this hotel blindly on Priceline. We didn't have any problems with the rooms themselves. They were clean and fairly modern. You can tell they have been recently updated.

This hotel could really benefit from more lighting though, and some attention to detail. For instance, the elevators you could tell were very old, someone had tried to do a woodstain finish on the inside and they were just very dark and drab. A few of the lights overhead in the elevator were very weak. The elevator was also very hot.

The hallways to the rooms was the area that could use the most improvement. They were very dark and drab. Recessed lighting clear down the hallway would help so much! Based on our impression from the elevator and walking down the hallway to our room, we were almost afraid to see what the room looked like. Thankfully we were pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were small, but clean and comfortably appointed. The beds could benefit from fewer decorative pillows, and more usable ones.

Also, the bathroom faucet juts out forward so far that the water stream falls near the edge of the basin. It was very impractical for washing your face and brushing your teeth. It's a pretty faucet, but not practical.

Another update that would be welcomed by guests here would be better insulated doors, and a device to slow the closing of the room doors. Doors slammed easily, and they did nothing to muffle the noise from the hallway. The walls were well insulated for noise though. Walking down the hall we could hear there was a dog in the room next to us barking loudly, however once we got into our room, we could barely hear it. The biggest problem here is the transfer of sound from the hallway to the rooms. We heard many guests returning to their rooms after a late Saturday night on the town and didn't make for the best night's sleep.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It is walking distance to any downtown attractions. We would stay here again for one night. For more than that, I'll spend more and stay elsewhere. With a few changes this could be a great hotel.

2 Thank NegrilBride
Thank you for your feedback; we always welcome the opportunity to improve. You are correct in that we are an older property and that we have recently updated. As a Starwood property we must abide by an interior deoration standard. We are hoping the Starwood designers will make standards more practical. Your suggestions have been passed along. I'm glad you enjoyed our location; we'd love to have you back!
Tomball, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Firstly the location of this hotel was good for the city centre around a 10 minute walk way and offered plenty of free parking. The beds were so comfortable and I found the room to be clean, although small by American standards. I requested a room away from the main road and that was what we received although the view was not that pretty, we over looked the roof of a lower building! Now for the negatives we had a room that slept 3 people and charged an extra fee for this, but only enough towels and coffee for 2 people which I found to be a little unfair. The check in staff I found were most unhelpful and although I did not catch the ladies name who checked me in, her badge did say she was the supervisor, I had to see here again to ask for the extra towels and coffee cup and felt as though I was simply an inconvenience. Not something I would have expected from the Sheraton group. We did take advantage of the cooked breakfast offer in the chop house for $2.99 the following morning which was excellent value. Hope to return to Asheville in the near future but would not stay here again, next time I think I will look at staying in the Biltmore area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
FourPointsAVL, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
We appreciate you choosing Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown; we're sorry your stay was less than superior. We apologize for the towel and coffee inconvenience. Thank you for bringing to my attention the unfriendly nature of my staff; this problem will certainly be addressed. I hope you will give us another opportunity. Please email if you have additional concerns or if we can be of assistance.

Regina Cash
rcash@fourpointsasheville.com
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed here over the 4th of July weekend. Too many "little things" added up to a frustrating stay... First, the good things: Good location for walking the city and free parking. Rooms appear to have been remodled and were clean. However, the keys to the room were constantly breaking down. Having to walk all the way down to the lobby four times in a three night stay is annoying. The front desk had absolutley no clue on earth what was happining in the city or the general area. Matter of fact I only received inaccurate info. Frusting when trying to plan your day out....... Anyways, flat screen tv didn't well. There was no volume on random occassionss. Also, the walls are very thin. I actually got out of bed one night because I could hear people talking in the hallway and thought I might have left the door open on accident.

The beds are very small and as an average six foot tall man I found my legs and feet hanging over the edge of the bed makes for a rough nights sleep.

I had read another TripAdvisor review of this place and originally thougth the comment on the goose-neck faucet was a little pety, but WOW, that person was right on. It was impossible to wash your face or brush your teeth without making a mess. What a bad idea it was to put those in.

I normally don't nit pick and try and foucs on the positives of the places we stay, but there were way too many that helped make to a less than desirable stay. Ashville is a great city, just don't stay here.

1 Thank BWM&LJM
We appreciate you choosing Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown. We're sorry your stay was not what you'd hoped. However, please know that your comments have been very helpful to us and your feedback is much appreciated. Your comments have prompted a "Monday Morning Memo" to better inform staff of city events and details. We apologize for the key incovnenience and the low comfort level of the room. Hopefully, the Starwood designer will soon update the standards. We hope that you will give us another chance. Please email me with an additional feedback or if I can be of assistance to you.

Regina Cash