“Great location”

Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Great location”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We spent 3 nights for a leisure trip to Asheville and this hotel did not disappoint. Location is perfect, right downtown in walking distance to great restaurants and bars. The hotel was clean and nice and the staff was very friendly. Nothing negative at all to report.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank casualdiner74
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us. We value your feedback and your willingness to share is greatly appreciated!

I'm pleased that you were able to enjoy our convenient location and everything that Downtown Asheville has to offer. Please do not hesitate to visit us again for another honest, comfortable and uncomplicated stay!

Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
NC
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Booked a room here back in the summer for a one night stay to catch a concert at The Orange Peel (great place itself). Found this place through a 3rd party site when looking for rooms. Price was pretty good compared to others for level of quality and location. It was easy to get to off of interstate 240 as well as getting back on the interstate when we left the next morning. This is a pet friendly hotel, and we did have a pair of folks staying in the room beside ours that had two dogs, but we didn't notice a smell, hear the dogs, or anything else. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. There is a decent restaurant/bar in the hotel. As others have said, parking is free and is within walking distance of the downtown attractions. We walked to and from The Orange Peel and everything was fine. I would definitely consider it again if we go back up for a one or two night stay, especially if we were planning on walking to somewhere downtown to avoid cabs or finding a dd. If we were staying for longer I would look in to a courtyard or residence inn type of place, but that's just our personal preference for longer stays.

Our room and bathroom was clean and they had a mini fridge waiting for us as we had requested prior to arrival. We didn't notice any of the noise from the freeway that I had read in other reviews before booking even though our room was on that side of the building. We did have the air conditioner running on low as we are used to an air purifier at home for white noise anyway. Overall, I would recommend it to anyone as long as you don't mind a pet friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your summer stay here! We appreciate your business and any recommendations you may give.

I hope you will consider us again for your next visit to Downtown Asheville.

Regards,

connecticut
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Got a $80 room for just Thursday. Then saw the negative reviews here...

My experience was perfect! Pleasant desk person gave me a room at 10AM! recommendations for breakfast ( see over easy!) directions to Botanical gardens and late 1PM checkout...

Room was just off the lobby. No noise?! And the I 240's just out the window. Not a problem.

Room looked good enough to be a model for show.

Room Tip: found price and booked via Starwood Preferred Guest
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hi,

Thank you for taking time out to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your business and your kind words are very encouraging to our staff and property!

We're pleased that you had a great experience and that we were able to accomodate you with an early check-in and late check-out.

Please come see us again the next time you're in the Asheville area!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The location of the hotel is great! There is free parking and it is within walking distance of downtown. There are many shops and restaurants to walk to during the day, and some great night life to check out as well. It is also located right near the freeway so it was fairly easy for us to get on the road quickly to where we wanted to go.

We checked in around 2 am in the morning and it was not a problem. We called earlier in the day to let them know our flight would be arriving late and they made a note on our reservation. Any encounter we had with the front desk was great. They always greeted us when we arrived and answered any questions we had.

The room itself was fine. It was clean and pretty spacious. The bathroom is on the smaller side, but it was clean. There was no bathroom fan and one night after taking a hot shower, the fire alarm actually went off from the steam from the shower.

The most unfortunate part of our stay was that we didn't get restful sleep. We could hear everyone in the hallway. From the maids knocking on others' doors in the morning saying "housekeeping" to people coming back late at night to little kids running down the hall. If someone was walking down the hall and talking, there was a good chance that we heard every word they said. They do have an a/c unit in the room, but when it was not in use, there was no other white noise to drown out the hallway disturbances.

However, it was nice to have free parking and free wi-fi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate the kind words concerning our staff and location.

I want to apologize for the fire alarm and noise issues you experienced while here. I hope this will not deter you from visiting us again.

We thank you for your business and for the opportunity to accomodate you.

Tallahassee
Reviewed October 13, 2012

An art delivery to the Bender Gallery prompted a quick trip for a Thursday night. I reserved the room about a week ahead on the Sheraton Website itself and got a very competitive rate. Upon arrival we found traffic a mess, Romney speaking at the civic center, and a sold out hotel, very busy. We were quickly and efficiently taken care of and found the room to be clean neat and very comfortable; what we expected for a Sheraton.
We didn't eat at the Chop house, not to say it wasn't good, but when you are within easy walking of all the wonderful restaurants in downtown Asheville, why would you eat at the hotel?!
watching the rates and that can make this the best deal in downtown Asheville!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The comments we receive are very important to us and your sharing is appreciated. We're happy you had a clean and comfortable stay at a good value.

We hope you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to having you again. Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown.

Leduc AB Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2012

First on the bright side we did find the staff to be helpful and friendly which shows that there must be good morale around the place.
The building is a bit long in the tooth and even though there were some renovations on the rooms i would say they should do some more to spruce up the place.
Overall i am satisfied with the stay although we did stay on SPG rewards so since it did not cost me much i tend to be a bit more lienient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that our facility is a bit older and may not have been to your expectations. We have had several renovations in the past and we continue to make improvements as we move forward.

We appreciate your business and would love another opportunity to provide you with an honest, comfortable and uncomplicated stay with us in the future.

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I'm a lifetime Gold member at Starwood hotels and have stayed in a hotel for about 400 nights total in the last 5 years. I have never been treated as poorly as I was treated at this hotel.

To start off with, the hotel isn't that great. The bathrooms are tiny, the sink is difficult to use, the A/C unit blows directly on you if you sit at the desk, the TV is stationary and difficult to see from many points in the room (again, like from the desk), the internet was unusable one night, the gym is ok but pretty small and the housekeeping wasn't that great (poorly made bed, lack of towels, lack of toiletries, etc.).

My real problem with the hotel came at the end of my third week staying there. I came back from work, ran on the treadmill, took a shower, then went to eat with a co-worker. When I came back, I smelled cigarette smoke in the hall. I hate that smell. As I got closer to my room, the smell was stronger and when I opened the door to my room, it was as if someone had smoked in my room. I immediately called the front desk to complain and that's when they told me that they suspected that I had been smoking in my room!

I have never smoked in my life; I think it's absolutely disgusting. I tried telling the front desk manager that not only did I not smoke but that I had only been in my room long enough to shower and change clothes, but he wouldn't have any of it. He said I would be charged a $200 fee for smoking and said that I should know the policy by now since I had stayed there for a few weeks. I asked to change rooms since mine smelled so bad. He said they were booked and I had to stay in my room. I couldn't stand the smell, so I called my 95 year old grandmother that lived nearby to stay with her.

The next morning, I spoke with the general manager of the hotel. He was very nice and listened to my story. He assured me that he would get to the bottom of it. He said they have a log of everyone that has used a key to get in my room, and if an employee went in there when they weren't supposed to, he would fire them. I thought this would solve the problem.

I got a call a few hours later saying that no one was in the room other than the housekeeper in the morning, which is normal. Now the general manager turned on me and wanted to know "the truth." I repeated that I was innocent and suggested that there may have been another reason for the smoke (came through the vents from another room, the door didn't shut properly and someone snuck in, etc.). He dismissed those theories immediately. He said the $200 charge stood, I could not get my money back for the night before (even though I didn't stay in the room) and that this would be a strike on my Starwood account and if I got another, I'd lose my status and points.

I thought this couldn't get more bizarre until later in the day when I got an email from the general manager after he talked to his employees who were there the night before. One employee identified me wearing a white shirt (I was wearing a blue shirt) and said that she overheard me on the phone in the hall saying "she smoked in the room but I only took one puff." The only phone conversation I had in the hall was when I called my co-worker to tell him what happened and that I was leaving the hotel. She also said that she had spoken to me multiple times, though I didn't talk to ANY of the employees other than when I checked in. Another employee said that he went into my room when the complaints about the smoke started (while I was at dinner) and that he saw female makeup in my room. I am a male, don't use makeup, and no one else was in my room, so I figured they had the wrong room. The general manager insisted it was my room and insinuated that I had a female in there with me even though I told him I was recently married and knew no one there other than my male co-worker. His exact words were "I don't need to know what you do in your personal life, but thought maybe the makeup would trigger a memory for you about who might have been in your room." That set me off.

Over the next couple of weeks, I was on the phone with Starwood for a few hours trying to get a resolution on this. Finally I got to a supervisor's supervisor and he basically was tired of me calling and refunded me out of his own budget since the hotel wouldn't budge.

I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I will never, ever stay at this hotel again. I have yet to receive an apology for the way I was treated and had to spend hours on the phone just to get refunded. I think I deserve thousands of points in compensation, but that will never happen. All I can do is warn anyone reading this. Stay anywhere else in Asheville. There are plenty places. If you are a dedicated Starwood customer like me, a new Aloft hotel is being built in downtown. Whatever it's like, it has to be better than the Four Points.

Room Tip: If your room doesn't have a refrigerator, you can ask for one for free.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Scott S
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I sincerely regret that we have missed a good opportunity to make your stay uncomplicated, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff and use your feedback as a learning opportunity.

Thank you for staying at Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown and we appreciate your feedback.