All reviewschop housegreat locationwithin walking distancefront desk staffan older hotelbed was comfortableoutdoor pooloff the highwaythe room was nicefitness centerdowntownymcabreweriesshampoorenaissancerefrigeratorbiltmore
Reviewed October 13, 2012

An art delivery to the Bender Gallery prompted a quick trip for a Thursday night. I reserved the room about a week ahead on the Sheraton Website itself and got a very competitive rate. Upon arrival we found traffic a mess, Romney speaking at the civic center, and a sold out hotel, very busy. We were quickly and efficiently taken care of and found the room to be clean neat and very comfortable; what we expected for a Sheraton.
We didn't eat at the Chop house, not to say it wasn't good, but when you are within easy walking of all the wonderful restaurants in downtown Asheville, why would you eat at the hotel?!
watching the rates and that can make this the best deal in downtown Asheville!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The comments we receive are very important to us and your sharing is appreciated. We're happy you had a clean and comfortable stay at a good value.

We hope you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to having you again. Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

First on the bright side we did find the staff to be helpful and friendly which shows that there must be good morale around the place.
The building is a bit long in the tooth and even though there were some renovations on the rooms i would say they should do some more to spruce up the place.
Overall i am satisfied with the stay although we did stay on SPG rewards so since it did not cost me much i tend to be a bit more lienient.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that our facility is a bit older and may not have been to your expectations. We have had several renovations in the past and we continue to make improvements as we move forward.

We appreciate your business and would love another opportunity to provide you with an honest, comfortable and uncomplicated stay with us in the future.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I'm a lifetime Gold member at Starwood hotels and have stayed in a hotel for about 400 nights total in the last 5 years. I have never been treated as poorly as I was treated at this hotel.

To start off with, the hotel isn't that great. The bathrooms are tiny, the sink is difficult to use, the A/C unit blows directly on you if you sit at the desk, the TV is stationary and difficult to see from many points in the room (again, like from the desk), the internet was unusable one night, the gym is ok but pretty small and the housekeeping wasn't that great (poorly made bed, lack of towels, lack of toiletries, etc.).

My real problem with the hotel came at the end of my third week staying there. I came back from work, ran on the treadmill, took a shower, then went to eat with a co-worker. When I came back, I smelled cigarette smoke in the hall. I hate that smell. As I got closer to my room, the smell was stronger and when I opened the door to my room, it was as if someone had smoked in my room. I immediately called the front desk to complain and that's when they told me that they suspected that I had been smoking in my room!

I have never smoked in my life; I think it's absolutely disgusting. I tried telling the front desk manager that not only did I not smoke but that I had only been in my room long enough to shower and change clothes, but he wouldn't have any of it. He said I would be charged a $200 fee for smoking and said that I should know the policy by now since I had stayed there for a few weeks. I asked to change rooms since mine smelled so bad. He said they were booked and I had to stay in my room. I couldn't stand the smell, so I called my 95 year old grandmother that lived nearby to stay with her.

The next morning, I spoke with the general manager of the hotel. He was very nice and listened to my story. He assured me that he would get to the bottom of it. He said they have a log of everyone that has used a key to get in my room, and if an employee went in there when they weren't supposed to, he would fire them. I thought this would solve the problem.

I got a call a few hours later saying that no one was in the room other than the housekeeper in the morning, which is normal. Now the general manager turned on me and wanted to know "the truth." I repeated that I was innocent and suggested that there may have been another reason for the smoke (came through the vents from another room, the door didn't shut properly and someone snuck in, etc.). He dismissed those theories immediately. He said the $200 charge stood, I could not get my money back for the night before (even though I didn't stay in the room) and that this would be a strike on my Starwood account and if I got another, I'd lose my status and points.

I thought this couldn't get more bizarre until later in the day when I got an email from the general manager after he talked to his employees who were there the night before. One employee identified me wearing a white shirt (I was wearing a blue shirt) and said that she overheard me on the phone in the hall saying "she smoked in the room but I only took one puff." The only phone conversation I had in the hall was when I called my co-worker to tell him what happened and that I was leaving the hotel. She also said that she had spoken to me multiple times, though I didn't talk to ANY of the employees other than when I checked in. Another employee said that he went into my room when the complaints about the smoke started (while I was at dinner) and that he saw female makeup in my room. I am a male, don't use makeup, and no one else was in my room, so I figured they had the wrong room. The general manager insisted it was my room and insinuated that I had a female in there with me even though I told him I was recently married and knew no one there other than my male co-worker. His exact words were "I don't need to know what you do in your personal life, but thought maybe the makeup would trigger a memory for you about who might have been in your room." That set me off.

Over the next couple of weeks, I was on the phone with Starwood for a few hours trying to get a resolution on this. Finally I got to a supervisor's supervisor and he basically was tired of me calling and refunded me out of his own budget since the hotel wouldn't budge.

I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I will never, ever stay at this hotel again. I have yet to receive an apology for the way I was treated and had to spend hours on the phone just to get refunded. I think I deserve thousands of points in compensation, but that will never happen. All I can do is warn anyone reading this. Stay anywhere else in Asheville. There are plenty places. If you are a dedicated Starwood customer like me, a new Aloft hotel is being built in downtown. Whatever it's like, it has to be better than the Four Points.

Room Tip: If your room doesn't have a refrigerator, you can ask for one for free.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Scott S

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I sincerely regret that we have missed a good opportunity to make your stay uncomplicated, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff and use your feedback as a learning opportunity.

Thank you for staying at Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is nice, but bordering on "just fine". We got a great deal on the night through Hotwire. The location was perfect, and the room was nice. But it certainly wouldn't be worth the full rate of $169 (especially with no breakfast included). We could only get a room with two double beds which were fairly small. And they weren't made up very well. The bottom sheet wasn't fitted, so by the morning I was partially laying on the bare mattress because the sheets had shifted so much during the night. The bathroom was bright and clean.

Noise was a bit of an issue. We faced the front towards downtown. While there isn't much traffic in Asheville, you could definitely hear trucks and cars once the morning traffic got going. Also, you could hear toilets and showers from other rooms, as well as the hallway noise pretty clearly. Thankfully there weren't any other loud guests on our floor.

Room Tip: Look for discounts, don't pay full price.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We take the comments and suggestions seriously and your willingness to share is greatly appreciated.

I'm pleased you had a nice visit to Asheville and that you found a good deal through Hotwire at our property. I apologize about the issues you experienced with the beds. I will make our Executive Housekeeper aware of this so that we can correct it.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown for your recent visit.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Nice upscale hotel with all the amenities. Professional and friendly staff. Very clean and comfortable. Easy walking distance to many downtown attractions and restaurants. Plenty of spacious parking. Good WiFi for my tablet. Good in-house bar/restaurant but also many great choices close by in downtown.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback! We're pleased to hear that you had a clean and comfortable stay and your willingness to share is greatly appreciated.

We thank you for your business and hope to have another opportunity to provide you with an uncomplicated stay with us in the future.