“The customer is always wrong”

Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown
Ranked #43 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Cary, North Carolina
“The customer is always wrong”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I'm a lifetime Gold member at Starwood hotels and have stayed in a hotel for about 400 nights total in the last 5 years. I have never been treated as poorly as I was treated at this hotel.

To start off with, the hotel isn't that great. The bathrooms are tiny, the sink is difficult to use, the A/C unit blows directly on you if you sit at the desk, the TV is stationary and difficult to see from many points in the room (again, like from the desk), the internet was unusable one night, the gym is ok but pretty small and the housekeeping wasn't that great (poorly made bed, lack of towels, lack of toiletries, etc.).

My real problem with the hotel came at the end of my third week staying there. I came back from work, ran on the treadmill, took a shower, then went to eat with a co-worker. When I came back, I smelled cigarette smoke in the hall. I hate that smell. As I got closer to my room, the smell was stronger and when I opened the door to my room, it was as if someone had smoked in my room. I immediately called the front desk to complain and that's when they told me that they suspected that I had been smoking in my room!

I have never smoked in my life; I think it's absolutely disgusting. I tried telling the front desk manager that not only did I not smoke but that I had only been in my room long enough to shower and change clothes, but he wouldn't have any of it. He said I would be charged a $200 fee for smoking and said that I should know the policy by now since I had stayed there for a few weeks. I asked to change rooms since mine smelled so bad. He said they were booked and I had to stay in my room. I couldn't stand the smell, so I called my 95 year old grandmother that lived nearby to stay with her.

The next morning, I spoke with the general manager of the hotel. He was very nice and listened to my story. He assured me that he would get to the bottom of it. He said they have a log of everyone that has used a key to get in my room, and if an employee went in there when they weren't supposed to, he would fire them. I thought this would solve the problem.

I got a call a few hours later saying that no one was in the room other than the housekeeper in the morning, which is normal. Now the general manager turned on me and wanted to know "the truth." I repeated that I was innocent and suggested that there may have been another reason for the smoke (came through the vents from another room, the door didn't shut properly and someone snuck in, etc.). He dismissed those theories immediately. He said the $200 charge stood, I could not get my money back for the night before (even though I didn't stay in the room) and that this would be a strike on my Starwood account and if I got another, I'd lose my status and points.

I thought this couldn't get more bizarre until later in the day when I got an email from the general manager after he talked to his employees who were there the night before. One employee identified me wearing a white shirt (I was wearing a blue shirt) and said that she overheard me on the phone in the hall saying "she smoked in the room but I only took one puff." The only phone conversation I had in the hall was when I called my co-worker to tell him what happened and that I was leaving the hotel. She also said that she had spoken to me multiple times, though I didn't talk to ANY of the employees other than when I checked in. Another employee said that he went into my room when the complaints about the smoke started (while I was at dinner) and that he saw female makeup in my room. I am a male, don't use makeup, and no one else was in my room, so I figured they had the wrong room. The general manager insisted it was my room and insinuated that I had a female in there with me even though I told him I was recently married and knew no one there other than my male co-worker. His exact words were "I don't need to know what you do in your personal life, but thought maybe the makeup would trigger a memory for you about who might have been in your room." That set me off.

Over the next couple of weeks, I was on the phone with Starwood for a few hours trying to get a resolution on this. Finally I got to a supervisor's supervisor and he basically was tired of me calling and refunded me out of his own budget since the hotel wouldn't budge.

I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I will never, ever stay at this hotel again. I have yet to receive an apology for the way I was treated and had to spend hours on the phone just to get refunded. I think I deserve thousands of points in compensation, but that will never happen. All I can do is warn anyone reading this. Stay anywhere else in Asheville. There are plenty places. If you are a dedicated Starwood customer like me, a new Aloft hotel is being built in downtown. Whatever it's like, it has to be better than the Four Points.

Room Tip: If your room doesn't have a refrigerator, you can ask for one for free.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Scott S
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I sincerely regret that we have missed a good opportunity to make your stay uncomplicated, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff and use your feedback as a learning opportunity.

Thank you for staying at Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown and we appreciate your feedback.

Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is nice, but bordering on "just fine". We got a great deal on the night through Hotwire. The location was perfect, and the room was nice. But it certainly wouldn't be worth the full rate of $169 (especially with no breakfast included). We could only get a room with two double beds which were fairly small. And they weren't made up very well. The bottom sheet wasn't fitted, so by the morning I was partially laying on the bare mattress because the sheets had shifted so much during the night. The bathroom was bright and clean.

Noise was a bit of an issue. We faced the front towards downtown. While there isn't much traffic in Asheville, you could definitely hear trucks and cars once the morning traffic got going. Also, you could hear toilets and showers from other rooms, as well as the hallway noise pretty clearly. Thankfully there weren't any other loud guests on our floor.

Room Tip: Look for discounts, don't pay full price.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We take the comments and suggestions seriously and your willingness to share is greatly appreciated.

I'm pleased you had a nice visit to Asheville and that you found a good deal through Hotwire at our property. I apologize about the issues you experienced with the beds. I will make our Executive Housekeeper aware of this so that we can correct it.

Thank you for choosing Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown for your recent visit.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Nice upscale hotel with all the amenities. Professional and friendly staff. Very clean and comfortable. Easy walking distance to many downtown attractions and restaurants. Plenty of spacious parking. Good WiFi for my tablet. Good in-house bar/restaurant but also many great choices close by in downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback! We're pleased to hear that you had a clean and comfortable stay and your willingness to share is greatly appreciated.

We thank you for your business and hope to have another opportunity to provide you with an uncomplicated stay with us in the future.

Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I would give the Four Points 3.5 stars if I could because it is a little better than average. The property is older and could use a renovation, but it isn't a dump by any means. It's a great base from which to explore the downtown area as it is a short walk to Pack Square, Lexington Street, College Street, Broadway, the Grove Arcade and the various restaurants, shops and galleries located there. You also have access to the YMCA located behind the hotel during your stay which is a nice benefit. The room is clean and the king bed was comfortable, but not outstanding, kind of like the hotel itself. In-room Wi-Fi is complimentary with no charges for access or usage. The room is quiet as far as outside noise and I did not have any trouble getting a good nights sleep (unlike my experience at the modern and newer Indigo Hotel where the road noise was awful), although the AC/heating unit was quite noisy when it was running.
The staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area and the attractions. They were very accomodating- I have seen other reviews bashing the staff but I did not have any complaints while there with my wife for a long weekend. Check in and check out was smooth and easy. It is also very convenient to the interstate as the entrance to I-240 East is right next to the hotel. The bottom line is that if you are looking for a clean, comfortable room with no frills in downtown, this is a reasonably priced option.

Room Tip: I would avoid rooms near the elevator, which seemed noisy- we stayed in a room overlooking the pool...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind words and sincerely hope you enjoyed your time here.

I apologize that the A/C unit was noisy for you. I will notify our maintenance team concerning the issue.

Thank you for your business and for choosing Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown. We hope to see you again in the near future for an honest, comfortable and uncomplicated stay.

Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel seems to have it all. A friendly, professional staff, clean, comfortable rooms and a great location. Asheville is very walkable and for access to resaturants, shops and more I was very pleased with the Four Points. I would recommend it and would stay there again when visiting the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank steve b
FourPointsAsheville, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We're happy that you were pleased with your stay and we appreciate any recommendations.

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a good location in downtown Asheville, but common areas need updating. The phone in my room didn't work so I couldn't communicate with font desk or anyone else in the hotel. Hallways and elevators were hot and dingy, and staff was sloppy. I arrived early, before check in time, and (at ate staff's request) I left my phone number for them to call me when my room was ready -- they never did.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank jennybee84
Hi,

I would hope that you would give us another opportunity to provide you with the convenient, stress-free and satisfied service that will exceed your expectations.

Once again, thank you for staying at Four Points by Sheraton -- Asheville Downtown and we appreciate your feedback.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We pulled into town off the Blue Ridge Parkway without a place to stay. Opened my AAA book and this was one of the starred Downtown hotels. We went with it and it worked out fine. The room was clean, somewhat modern, nice flat screen tv. Bed was comfortable. Didn't hear much noise from the other rooms. The elevator broke while we were there, but we were only one flight up so not the worst thing to take the stairs. We had breakfast one morning, it was ok but nothing special for the money.
One interesting thing of note was one of the hotel managers came up at one point and knocked on the door to see if we were smoking pot in the room. We weren't but someone in the hall obviously was. They were nice enough about it, but it was odd.
The best part of the hotel is the location. We had no problem walking downtown, a 5-10 minute walk to Grove st market and all the downtown galleries, restaurants and shops. Made it nice not to have to get back in the car after a full day of driving.

Room Tip: Our room faced the freeway, but the insulation was so good on the windows we didn't hear the car...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We appreciate your business and we're pleased that you enjoyed our good location with all that Downtown Asheville has to offer.

I apologize about the issues we had with our elevator during your stay. I hope you consider us again the next time you pull off the Blue Ridge Parkway into town.

Regards,