“Exceeded my expectations: Great service, very well maintained.”

Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown
Ranked #43 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
“Exceeded my expectations: Great service, very well maintained.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I had modest expectations for this hotel - just what one would want from a Four Points flagged property - clean, safe, friendly.
This property exceeded those expectations and I will almost certainly stay there again.
1. Check-in was quick and matched my booking exactly. The lady who checked me in was very welcoming. I was very pleased with the check in.
(note) this is an older property that has been updated. The updates are very well done. Everything has a clean, quality feel. I was very impressed.
2. The room was a fine size and nicely appointed. The beds (I had a two doubles room) were not great, but they were perfectly adequate. Bedding and linens were standard Four Points which places them well above most economy hotels (and a few of the mainstream brands). My room had a city view which meant that I had a great view of the building's mechanical systems - that being said, there is a large highway on the other side of the building and I had no street noise in my room. The in-room HVAC produces some noise; to me it was fine and better than most of these kind of systems in that regard. Temperature in the room was consistent and pleasant. Rooms were very quiet. The bathroom was clean, with sufficient elbow room - same for the shower. Water pressure was good and the water temperature was warm and consistent.
The only complaint I have about the room is that the Wi-Fi signal was too weak unless I stood near the door. I cannot make a broad judgement about this because friends in another room had no such experience. If I were staying more than a night or for business, I would have needed to change rooms on this complaint.
3. The location earns high marks. Easy to walk to any of Asheville's sites, I was very happy with the location. Parking in Asheville is a nightmare, so the large, clean well-lit parking lot was wonderful (I just cannot relax if I am worried about my car).
I did not use the food services, outdoor pool (closed for the season, but it looked really nice), or fitness facilities and cannot comment on these.
4. For me, the value was exceptional. The product I received was very-good relative to what I paid. No surprise charges and etc.
My overall impression is of a very well managed and cared for property. I will stay again.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank West90
FourPointsAsheville, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business and look forward to you visiting us again soon.
Shannon Mason -- Manager On Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

First thing room 506 must be the discounted hotel room because of its sad view overlooking the top of the wing that houses the ballrooms.
This hotel was a great find. It is easily accessible to I-240, downtown, the civic center, and Biltmore Estates.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank souches
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately we are only five stories so if you look down you will see the top of our building for the restaurant and ballroom. Our 5th floor is our Starwood preferred floor and is the most comfortable. We appreciate your business and look forward to you visiting us again soon.
Clemson, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

Had a pleasant stay. Nice room. Comfortable lobby and restaurant areas. Plenty of free parking. Only problem was that Internet was not working in the rooms. Had to go to business center to use. Hotel staff explained that their Internet provider had been experiencing problems.

Room Tip: Ask if their Internet is working yet
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. Our current internet provider is changing as of May 1st because of the problems our guests have experienced with their service. We have chosen to spend $40,000 on fiber optic cable that will bring us efficient and very fast wireless internet connections. We appreciate your business and look forward to you visiting us again soon.
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I chose this hotel because I got a great web-price through their site and it is located downtown. As Asheville is known for it's brew pubs, I wanted to walk every where without the worry of driving. There were no king rooms available on the downtown side, so we opted for the expressway side of the building, despite the many warnings against the 'noisy' side of the hotel. It was the weekend and I don't remember hearing cars, especially when the air was running. The room was clean and looked to be newly updated, the bed was actually quite comfortable and the pillows were snooze worthy.

The coffee in the lobby was dreadfully weak, but there are a ton of good cafes and restaurants in the area, so we chucked the coffee and headed off to breakfast.

The Sheraton had the feel of a small hotel, first appearances were bland with a splash of tan on the exterior, but overall, I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
FourPointsAsheville, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
raleigh nc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel March 2012. The hotel was in a great location, off of 240 and in the downtown area. I was able to walk to all the places I needed to get, stores, restaurants, bars, ect. Also could walk from the civic center if you are going to see a show there. The hotel on its own had some weird quirks though. The rooms were really small and so was the bathroom. There was no fan in the bathroom, the toilet was on a slant and the faucet for the sink was designed so that you would bump your mouth on it while brushing your teeth! Just a horrible design! You also needed your room key to retrieve ice from the ice maker. I have never been to a place that had to keep their ice protected! The clock in our room was the wrong time and I couldn't figure out a way to change it. The room lacked a mini fridge or microwave, but was able to get free wifi and the beds were comfortable and clean. On my way out, there was an ugly confrontation between a guest and the hotel staff. The hotel patron was rude, swearing loudly and making a mess of the lobby. He threw the news papers all over the place along with visitor pamphlets and made a huge scene which involved the staff threatening to call the police. We left before anything else happened. Overall, I would stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right side, face the pool and courtyard, rather then the left side which faces the high...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
FourPointsAsheville, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We were built in 1969 and renovated five years ago. We are due for another renovation in 2013 per Starwood standard. The bathroom fan is alaways on because it is pulled from a fan on the roof. We have a key to the ice machine to deter people from filling large coolers so everyone has ice available. As far as the refrigerator and microwave, Four Points was designed to be honest uncomplicated comfort. We have all of these amenities available upon request. We appreciate your business and look forward to you visiting us again soon.
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Hotel was easy to find right off of interstate. Convenient to restaurants, mall, & Biltmore. Hotel does not have onsite restauant facilties other than The Chop House. Room was clean. Good amenities.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Luv2TravelTravel
FourPointsAsheville, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Bristol, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed two nights here while visiting Asheville. Made reservations based on reviews, price and location. The rooms are clean and have been updated but there's only one elevator which can slow things down when the hotel is busy. The mattresses were lumpy but it's rare to find a hotel where this isn't the case. Parking is plentiful. A Chop House is the on-site restaurant but we did not try it. But, they do serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Asheville and close by so, we had to try as many as possible! The hotel provides free wifi and water in each room. The two free bottles of water were much appreciated as we walked to downtown each day. The in-room amenities (shampoo, etc..) were nice and seemed high quality. The updates in the rooms are quite nice with laminate wood floors and wood crown moulding with nice white, fluffy comforters and a tiled bathroom. The price was very attractive. Join the SPG (Starwood Preferred Guests) program before making a reservation so you can accrue benefits/points for future stays. the price was the most agreeable of all downtown accomodations. If you want to spend around $120 per night and no more, this is your place. Many other hotels in the area range into the $300/night rates.We didn't plan on being in the room except for sleeping so we didn 't need an expensive room.The location is on the edge of downtown but it's all walkable depending on how far you want to walk. But, downtown Asheville is easy to navigate once you figure out the layout and there's parking on most streets (metered and it seemed as if there was a parking garage on each street. If you plan on heading to Wall Street or Haywood, I'd recommend driving and parking as downtown definitely is larger than expected and you'll walk alot of hilly streets as Asheville is not a flat city. Plus, you'll most likely make several purchases from the many eclectic shops so you'll want a car close by for package drop-offs! The area immediately around the hotel didn't seem too chaotic, which was nice, and there's easy access to the freeway and to the larger more mall-like shopping areas. We'll stay here again due to the great price and close location!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 2bemullins5
FourPointsAsheville, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, March 15, 2012