“Ashville to Myrtle Beach”

Ramada Asheville / Biltmore West
Ranked #56 of 63 Hotels in Asheville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We came through Asheville on a Saturday night, no one had rooms under 185 per night. I really just wanted to drive back to Atlanta but husband was tired of driving. He wanted to try the Ramada next to the Cracker Barrel. I got one of the last rooms, non smoking at a good rate under 100.00. The front desk was very slow but we had a room. I was really surprised. The room was very clean with a comfortable bed. Cracker Barrel and IHOP was right next door. The only thing I would say bad was the bathroom was very small, but water was hot and it was clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura D
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

To start, this is now, officially, the Ramada Asheville Southwest - at least for now.
I remember a time, not so very long ago, when Ramada was a name for at least mid-grade excellence. Sigh.
The exterior and lobby give a good impression, as did the clerks at the front desk. Unfortunately, those clerks were going off duty. One of their replacements - the one I always seemed to get stuck speaking to - seemed uncomfortable and even a little confused by anything more than the most basic questions/requests/comments. A question regarding a local restaurant seemed to baffle him.
My first real problem with the facility was the lack of a complimentary breakfast. I was actually unaware that any lodging, even the cheapest, did not have that amenity. They seemed to think that 10% off at adjacent restaurants was the equivalent - it is NOT!
I went to my room via the large, attractive and fairly quiet atrium/pool area. The first thing I noticed was peeling paint and some rust on the door. Tacky, and so easy to remedy. Inside, the room was attractive, clean and secure; with functional, clean amenities. However, there were numerous signs of wear and tear - old stains, scuffs and cigarette burn marks, a broken dresser drawer, etc.
Then I noticed that there was no weather strip or threshold at the bottom of the door. There wasn't a lot of noise from the atrium, so it wasn't a big deal most of the night. However, it appeared that connecting rooms had only a single barrier door. Not great for security, and I heard everything the mother and kids next door said, shouted, cried, whined, banged, etc. I thought they were loud until I realized later that night, that I could even hear their bathroom light switch! At one point, I opened the room door to figure out from where some noise was coming. I almost ran into the front desk clerk and four local cops responding to a noise complaint from next door - on the side from where I had heard no noise. Sorry, but the cops being called into a hotel is a sign to me that the place has real problems. I used to work in a hotel, and police were called only once, for a drunk in the parking lot - not inside.
Maybe my rating is based too much on what I recall Ramada to have been. However, lack of basic upkeep, noise that keeps me from getting more than 4 hours of sleep, and police outside my door all add-up to below average.

Room Tip: Maybe a room with no connecting doors to cut down on noise?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank HowlnBubba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was close to Asheville and was less than $90 on hotels.com with tax+fees. The people at the front desk were rather disorganized, and we had to wait 30 minutes to check in....at 3:30pm with our prepaid reservation.
Other than that, the rooms are aging but clean. I was disappointed that the tub stopper in my room was broken so I couldn't take a bath. The toiletries from the San Fransisco Soap Compny were pleasant.
The big draw for this hotel from what I have seen is the fancy indoor pool/spa area. I will say that it was all very nice. I have never stayed at a hotel this cheap with such a nice pool facility.
Over all, this was a pretty good stay for the budget. It's nothing special but it's not a dump either.
And PS, get the interior-facing room. The rooms on the outside are not very quiet, especially on ground level.

• Stayed June 2013