“Terrible for anyone in the right mind”

Ramada Asheville / Biltmore West
Ranked #57 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Saint Paul, Virginia
“Terrible for anyone in the right mind”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

When we first walked in to the lobby it smelled very interesting (in the worst way possible) and screamed 80's (as the rest of the hotel was both 70's and 80's). They forgot to give us the room key for our second room, and put it on the other half of the hotel after we specifically requested they be near eachother... We walk into the room and are overcome by an unknown scent, I attempt to plug in my iPod touch (which I would desperately need throughout the trip) in the outlet closest to the door and the outlet doesn't even work... they offer to not wash your sheets for the night to, er, save the environment, but I think they're just too lazy. The staff was just a ragtag group of rebellious young adults... anyway, huge dent in bathroom door, gap in front door, terrible wireless connection, a mysterious bug, stains in the pillows, bad TV reception, black spots all around the wall... I went with an old lady who lives in a rundown apartment in southwest VA, so she knows bad quality, and she was even disgusted. But I've only told you about the rooms. The indoor pool was freezing and the hot tub was just an empty void with wooden planks sticking out and some caution tape, the sauna was filled with vandalism and the young children in my party found some very vulgar writing on the benches, the outdoor pool is filled with bugs. The pool table was taken by some large, burly staff workers all day. The IHOP attatched is very bad too, the eggs were always cold and the ceilings were dripping. The hotel overwhelms young ones with its large size and what seems like lots of fun, but it is a very bad hotel and I do not reccomend it.

Room Tip: Just don't go; save money, time, and a few days of our life!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank I-Live-To-Travel-07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
High Point, NC
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel about 6 times this year for work. It is a little run down, I think it is an old Holiday Inn Holidome. It has a huge atrium with a pool, hot tub, game room, pool table, a little kids play area, mini golf, fitness center, a fountain and lots of seating. It hasn't been refurbished since it was built in the '80's.

The rooms are fine. Comfortable beds with nice sheets and 4 pillows. The tv's are old but they have pretty good cable with 3 kids channels. The bathrooms are not as nice as I would like, I think they are sanitary, but they really need a good deep cleaning.

The pool is heated (sort of).
The hot tub has not ever worked any time that I have stayed there.
The little kids play area is only a walled off area with a Little Tykes playhouse in it.
In the game room only about half the games work well, if at all.
The atrium is dimly lit and a little bit spooky, even during the day.
They have free coffee in the lobby all of the time.
The lobby is lovely.
They have conference rooms.
Staff is friendly and polite (for high school kids)
They used to have free breakfast (limited menu) at the connected IHOP, but they have stopped doing that. That makes me sad, since it was the only thing that made me feel like I was getting a good deal. Now they have their own hot continental breakfast with powdered eggs, cold mini pancakes, pretty good sausage, not very good pastry and muffin collection, yogurt and cereal. Not even a waffle maker. I think that losing the IHOP is the deal breaker for me, I felt like my room was $20 cheaper by feeding me and 3 kids IHOP. We will probably stay somewhere else with a nicer pool next time.

All in all, if all you want is a comfortable bed in a quiet hotel with good access to the highway and downtown Asheville, go here (or about 20 other places in town).

Room Tip: Get an inside room if you want to feel safe or use the pool.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Clover, South Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I have season passes to Biltmore, so we have stayed in various area hotels. This weekend we decided to take up a good online offer we saw from Ramada Biltmore West. We had recently seen the movie Cedar Rapids and broke into a fit of laughter after we checked in and walked into the atrium area. It is almost identical to the hotel in the movie Cedar Rapids! Our room was ok; the bathroom was a little dirty, and the AC was not on when we entered, but quickly cooled the room down. The staff was young and somewhat unprofessional, but helpful, and the location was very convenient! We were a little disappointed with the indoor/outdoor pool...it was FREEZING (even outdoors in 95 degree weather!) and pretty dirty. The spa was also out of order. We were happy with the breakfast! We probably won't stay there again, but it's not a bad place for a short weekend trip if you don't want to spend a ton of cash!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get an inside room. We didn't realize ours was exterior until check-in.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2011

the poeple here are great they make you feel at home. the rooms are clean and the best place i have seen in asheville wont stay anywhere esle in asheville if dont try the out your missing and nick and liz are the best they will make you feel welcome no matter what and all those other reviews that not so nice things are false you need to stay at the ramada biltmore west theyROCK COME STAY HERE

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank breeze29
San Isidro, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We just stayed here the same time as the last few reviewers and I can't believe we stayed at the same place! Okay, this wasn't the Hilton or Doubletree, but we can't afford those places! Was this like them? No, it doesn't even come close It definitely could use some maintenance. The pool was a bit nasty and unlike the other reviewer's comment, there was plexiglass so that you could not swim from the inside to outside. Not sure if they remove that at other times. The "spa" hot tub was closed and barricaded off. Our room did NOT have a smell and we had plenty of room. Only complaint about the room was that the shower had barely adequate water pressure, adequate, but not what I'm used to. Front desk staff was great. Only interaction I had with the cleaning staff, I spoke Spanish to her and she answered in English! Just goes to show! We were not in Asheville sight-see and so we were trying to find a place that didn't cost an arm and leg. For a place to sleep for a couple of nights, I feel we got a good value for our money. PS, we are not big breakfast people so we just had coffee during our stay and cannot comment on that aspect. They do include a hot breakfast in the price and it definitely looked a cut above what some places offer!

Albemarle, North Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Don't believe the pictures or the many things this hotel advertises! When we checked in, the clerk was wonderful! But everyone after her were just totally rude and not the least bit helpful. Don't expect nice rooms, our room smelled like cat pee and I wasn't allowed to change rooms since I had prepaid. Nor could I get a refund! Don't expect the housekeeping staff to be any better. None of them speak or understand English!! Crying shame with all the Americans out of work they employ folks that don't speak or understand their own bosses. Our room wasn't even serviced til after we had been here 2 days and when it was, only thing they did was give us 2 towels. Didn't even know how to make the beds! My advice, STAY AWAY from this place. This is my first ever review, so please believe what I say! I WILL NEVER recommend this place to anyone!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cxcmom66

Travelers are raving about these Asheville hotels

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2011

So, when we arrive and check in, everything seems fine. Unfortunately, there is no elevator and our luggage was pretty heavy. After going up two flights of stairs, we found that we couldn't even get into our room. Somehow the metal lock at the top of the door was caught even though no one was in the room. My boyfriend went back down to the desk to see what could be done. As I was waiting, another couple came up and had the same problem. We (and the other couple) were given a different room to stay in. We went from a regular room with King bed to executive with king. It's a little bigger. It's also inside and close to everything. This place is super clean and super nice on the inside. It has a small arcade, a sauna, small spa and a nice swimming pool on the inside with a cutout so that you can go outside without getting out of the pool. The girl at the desk is really nice. This turned out to be a great value for us. We plan to stay here next year when we come back. (We're here right now and just noticed there are train tracks across the street.. hopefully this won't be an issue like the last hotel we stayed in earlier this week..) The mattress seems nice too, not so mushy like the last place, which ended up making us sore all over. The Spa is currently being worked on so we can't check it out.