“Great value... perfect for family travelers”

Best Western Asheville Tunnel Road
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Needed a place to stay w/2 teenage boys and our dog for just a singe night stay near Asheville, NC. This was a stop over stay on our way somewhere else, so we didn't want to spend much. But we wanted a pool for the boys, a place that allows pets, a non-smoking room... and it had to be CLEAN. That is the most important thing for me. Found this place on the internet and we were able to get a non-smoking room with 2 double beds for $95 (non including taxes). Then it cost $10/night for a pet. This included an all you can eat breakfast which wasn't that bad. Juice bar, toast, pancakes, sausage, biscuits, dry cereal & oatmeal, bagels, pastries. But the neat thing was you could make your own waffles! They weren't bad at all. Check in took seconds, check out was instant. Pool was very clean and right in front of our room. But most importantly, the room look like it had been recently renovated. And it was clean! Beds were comfortable too. Can't ask for more at this price.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chartAtlanta
There are newer reviews for Best Western Asheville Tunnel Road

Reviewed June 13, 2010

I stayed here with family on an overnight stay to see Biltmore on the way to the Smokies. I was slightly hesitant after reading some hotel reviews from last year but noticed that the reviews from 2010 were very good for the most part. I am very particular about hotels but was wanting a room on the cheaper side. This hotel was perfect. It was very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The room was just like the pictures - had been renovated with updated beds and comforters, etc. It is true that the bathrooms are small, but for an short stay it's not a big deal. It's definitely worth the price, that's for sure. We also had no problems with loud neighbors or cars driving by, etc as i had read in some other reviews. Customer service was very good as well and it's a great location close to restaurants and the Biltmore Estate. Huge thumbs up from me!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank heater33
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Wanted a place to get some good rest while on a long road trip, but didn't anticipate how far it was from my route of freeways (didn't look that far on the map.) Even my GPS with 2010 technology had difficulty finding it even tho it appeared to be on a major roadway. I booked 3-4 wks in advance requesting a quiet upper level room. Got the upper level part right, but the room was close to & faced a major roadway that appeared to be a drag strip beginning 11 pm on a Wed. night. Once the tire screechings ended, I was finally able to fall asleep. On checkin, the desk clerk gave me bad directions on where to park for the night & which bldg had my room causing me to drive to the end of the complex on the back side & carry heavy luggage up the stairway of a wrong bldg before finding my room was mere feet from her office. She also acted & appeared too young for the job -- very immature, possibly 16 or 17 yrs old??? Once I found the correct bldg., I took my things to lock inside the room, then inquired from the desk on recommended eating places (there are NONE nearby - must have a car to find one.) The closest restaurants are all fast food or chain places, so I asked a local at the gas station & he recommended going downtown for the best foods. Sleep quality was excellent once the drag racing ended, but upon entering the room, there was a slight musty smell every time. Leaving the AC on hi all evening eventually solved that problem. Surprised at lack of normal amenities, too. There was only 1 pkg of sugar/creamer for the in-room coffee maker (should be at least 2 by Best Western stds), and only 1 bar of soap when there should be 2. There was only 1 ice machine for the entire complex when there were at least 4 bldgs, and it is located in the rear section of the complex between 2 bldgs. -- EXTREMELY inconvenient & very unsafe for a woman traveling alone. About the best I can say is the room was kept as a non-smoking properly, the bed was very comfortable with fresh sheets, the TV worked fine and no trouble with the faucets, sink or tub. If I'm ever in Asheville again, I will NOT choose this place for several reasons.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2010

The hotel is an older property that has been recently renovated. Due to work schedules, we did not arrive until after midnight. The lobby was locked and we had to use a doorbell to call a front desk employee. Check-in process was quick and painless. We were able to park immediately outside our room.

Although the room looked updated, there was a musty odor in the room. The good news was that it wasn't; residual cigarette smoke. Despite running the air conditioner, the odor persisted. It was WAY too late and we were WAY too tired to go back to the front desk to change rooms. Room cleanliness and a fresh smelling room are THE most important factor in how we perceive a hotel, so this was not a good first impression. However, the bed was comfortable and both of us slept well and did not wake up with a headache.

The continental breakfast was served in the lobby and was exactly as advertised. Selections included hot water for oatmeal, grits, hard boiled eggs, waffle maker (which has an imprint of a smiley face), breads and juice. The lobby was spacious and open. The location of this hotel is great, located right off I-240 at Tunnel Road but on the "quiet" side of the freeway.

What we liked: Convenient comfortable accommodations in Asheville
What we didn't like: The noticeable musty/moldy smell in the room which makes us hesitant to return. (A fresh smelling room is a MUST)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2010

This Best Western is probably one of the most surprising little motels I have stayed at ever. The property is well maintained - in a quiet safe wooded area off the interstate about 1/2 mile and has excellent parking.
Now the big surprise - the rooms and lobby! On first impression the lobby is so fresh and new and contemporary. Then to the rooms - for an older motel style - you walk into a room as if it was in NYC Chicago or St. Louis - all new contemporary and modern. Hard dark woods - plush linens and beds and just very cool.
I am very impressed with the ownership/management and what they have done here. What a great older motel style with new and fresh updates.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We have stayed at a lot of Best Westerns and this one ranks very high on our list. The room looked like it was recently remodeled and very clean. Our room had a very clean smell and that is very important in our priorities. Our room was very big and had a King Size Bed (the bed was very, very comfortable). We would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank MandM84
Reviewed November 14, 2009

My husband and I were traveling to Asheville to see Jackson Browne in concert. I booked the room on line and was very impressed. I've stayed at many hotels while traveling for business and I would compare this more to a 4 star than a 2. The girls at the front desk were friendly and helpful. They even called a taxi to pick us up because we were running late. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple