“A Lovely Comfortable Home Base”

The Residences at Biltmore
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Due to last minute cancellation of a Caribbean holiday I hastily read the TripAdvisor reviews and was able to book a one-bedroom suite at the Residences. Everything about the customer service experience was lovely! The suite was very well furnished, spacious and SPOTLESS! We especially like the suites because our children are 9 and 11 and they were able to watch their own TV and we had some privacy. The Residences is very conveniently located to downtown, the Biltmore and the Interstate. It will be even better when the health facility and pool are open! LOVED IT! I whole-heartedly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank 1CincyGirl
Jen700Biltmore, Sales Manager at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed the spaciousness of our suites as well as the privacy they offer families traveling together. We are also glad that you were more than satisfied with our Concierge and Housekeeping services. We look forward to welcoming you back when you visit Asheville in the future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed October 21, 2008

The Residences is a great new hotel that will only get better with the completion of their on-site restaurant and pool facilities. It is well located in the Biltmore Village. The rooms are very large with nice amenities, including a flat screen TV and DVD player. The bathrooms are enormous and the full kitchen and balcony are wonderful as well. And who doesn't like turndown service and free parking? The setting is quiet and private as well.

We only had one night to enjoy it, but I did have one problem with our room, so I addressed management after our stay. Joe Hunter, the general manager, was responsive and considerate, and helped right the wrong in a very appropriate manner. I can only say good things about how our situation was handled and will recommend to everyone to stay at the Residences at Biltmore! My wife and I will certainly be back to Asheville in the future and will look no further than the Residences.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doc2x4
Jen700Biltmore, Sales Manager at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our location, suite amenities, and extra touches such as turndown service. While we strive for perfection and make every effort to ensure our guests do not experience any problems, we are pleased that our General Manager was able to resolve the situation you experienced in an appropriate manner that met your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Asheville.

Reviewed October 20, 2008

Having read the many glowing reviews here and visiting the hotel's website, I was very much looking forward to my family's stay at The Residences at Biltmore. Unfortunately, what could be a first class property has a few major issues that must be addressed before this concierge hotel can be considered as a true "luxury" accommodation.

We arrived at approximately 7 PM on a Sunday evening and were greeted by a very welcoming and responsive member of the concierge staff who graciously walked us to our room and introduced us to the amenities of the room. This is certainly something that was not expected and is a nice, "extra" touch for which the hotel's management is to be commended.

The lighting in the room was turned down low and there was nice music playing over the HDTV flat screen in the living room. As we were tired from a long drive, we did not really take an opportunity to look around the room this evening before preparing for bed; however I did notice a rather large, very noticeable stain on the carpet just inside the door to the bedroom when the concierge staff member walked us through the unit. I was a bit perplexed that this had not been taken care of since it was in such a highly visible location.

After awakening the next morning and while planning to prepare breakfast in the kitchen, I opened the microwave to use it and was horrified to find that it had not been cleaned. A dirty, greasy paper towel sat on the turntable of the microwave, the inside of the microwave door was splattered with grease and remnants of a prior guest's meal. The microwave was filled with food crumbs. Needless to say, we decided to go out for breakfast.

As I turned to open the very nice, full-sized stainless steel refrigerator, my eyes turned to the two lovely pictures hanging on the wall of the kitchen just to the right of the refrigerator. I was aghast at the inch of dust on the bottom of these pictures' frames. It was apparent that they had not been touched in quite some time. The large hanging picture above the living room couch was also coated in dust, as were the shelves next to the fireplace where the cable box and DVD unit were located. The hardwoods in the living area were also quite dusty under the pull-out sofa and end tables.

While I could have overlooked these items, what I found next very much disturbed me as it was then apparently evident to me that the room had not been thoroughly cleaned in ages. As I opened the rather ill-fitting blinds at the living room french doors, I noted immediately that all 3 windows/doors were coated in dog saliva, from midway up the glass all the way down. It was evident that a large dog had rubbed his/her nose all up and down the glass of all 3 windows and that this had never been cleaned. A quick check of the bedroom french door window also revealed the same. While I love animals and have been a dog owner for years, this was simply disgusting and very unhygienic. There are no other words in my vocabulary to describe how very distasteful this was.

Needless to say, we visited the concierge office as soon as we were dressed to report these concerns. The concierge staff was very apologetic, as was the property's manager who offered to have someone "re-clean" our room immediately. We had planned an excursion for the day and did not want someone in our room "re-cleaning" while we were away, so we politely declined this offer and were told that when we returned from our day trip that they would have another hotel room available for us.

We returned late that night and did indeed have a message from the concierge that another room had been prepared and was ready for us, and that she would be happy to help us move. Given the late hour of our return, we thanked her and suggested that we would move in the morning, which we did.

The new room was much cleaner and extra amenities were added that we requested (liquid detergent with which to wash the coffee pot, and shower caps for the bathroom). I was still disappointed to see that the bedroom in the new unit also had stained carpet by the balcony door, and the beautiful shower had mildew stains on the grout (you can see this in one of the pictures posted here by another guest).

While the concierge staff is top notch and the property is quite attractive, there is a definite attention to detail lacking for a hotel in this price range. In order to become a 4 or 5-star property, extra room amenities should be added (digital cable in the bedroom strongly suggested, shoe mitts, an electric shoe polisher, fruit baskets as a welcome gift should be considered, etc.) Perhaps a housekeeping supervisor should also inspect the rooms PRIOR to guests being assigned to each room. The walls/ceilings are also evidently quite thin, as it is somewhat noisier than other properties I've frequented.

All in all, this property has the potential to be much, much better. I was disappointed that no effort was made to upgrade our room or comp a portion of our stay given the enormity of these issues and given the fact that we paid over $250 a night for substandard accommodations. I feel that it would have been the least that the hotel could have done to extend us this courtesy under the circumstances.

My suggestion to future guests is that they inspect their room thoroughly prior to removing the luggage from the car. Hopefully these issues will be addressed by management and The Residences at Biltmore can live up to its full potential as a lovely and comfortable new property in the heart of Asheville.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank mas11068

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value all guest feedback and especially that which allows us to enhance and refine our service and product. We are glad that throughout your stay our Concierge staff was welcoming and accommodating, and efforts were made to ensure your satisfaction through additional cleaning and the offer of a different suite. We are also pleased that you enjoyed the size of the suites, as well as their appointments.

However, please accept our most sincere apologies for the poor cleanliness of your accommodations. We strive for complete perfection and are sorry that we did not achieve this with your visit. Please know that the housekeeping issues that you encountered have been brought to the attention of management and remedial action has already taken place. Each room is inspected prior to arrival and we are sorry the items you encountered were missed during this process. We hope that you will take the opportunity to stay with us again the next time you are in town so that we can show you we are indeed a lovely and comfortable new property in the heart of Asheville.

Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed three nights, arriving Tuesday Oct 14th 2008. The woman checking us in was fast and gracious, and gave us a free upgrade from Studio Suite to a 1 Bedroom Suite. The suite was beautiful, spacious, comfortable and very clean. Full kitchen, dining area, living room with fireplace and 42" flat screen tv, bedroom with king bed and 37" flat screen tv, huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub and separate shower all made this a lovely place to stay. When we arrived slippers were laid out by the bed, a pitcher of ice water waited for us, the fireplace was lit and soft music was playing - probably the nicest hotel arrival we have ever had. Each morning we had a paper placed outside our door, and they offered turn down service each evening. The location was perfect, only a few blocks to the gate of the Biltmore Estate - very close to restaurants, gas stations, coffee shops, etc. Everything was great ! On our next trip to Asheville we will stay here again!

2  Thank Brian G

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. What a pleasant surprise to receive a complementary upgrade. We are pleased that you enjoyed our suite amenities, location and gracious service, making for an excellent stay. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back the next time you are in Asheville.

Reviewed October 14, 2008

My wife and I booked a "Fall Asheville Experience" package at the Residences as a 3 day escape. We had never been to Asheville or the Biltmore. Our usual plan is to go cheap on the hotel and allot more of our budget to dining and experiences, so we were leaning towards the Hampton Inn or one of the other hotels in town. Once we went to the hotel site and checkout the package deals, though, there was no contest (relatively small price differential vs. all the package add ons and 24hr concierge). If you are looking to get away and let someone else do the work, the Residences is the way to go. Here's why:

Concierge: We were welcomed (at 10pm) by a very friendly staffer who gave us a map tour of the town and the Biltmore Estate, complete with restaurant reviews, advice on what was worth our time, and answers to any other questions we asked. Throughout the weekend, the concierge desk was a great source of info and very quick service. Can't say enough about them.

Location: The complex is situated on the hill between the Biltmore Estate and downtown Asheville. It's easy to get anywhere in a few minutes.

The Set-up: It seems to be a condo complex that runs the hotel service as a second revenue stream and a live in sales pitch. When I say sales pitch, I mean they let the facility and service do the talking. There was an invitation to a free breakfast Sat and Sun, with the disclaimer that it was a low pressure open house for those interested in buying (or interested in free breakfast). We chose not to go, based on the other breakfast/brunch options we were interested in downtown, but based on the rest of our experience, I bet they would have been happy to say good morning and watch us walk out with their pastry and coffee.

The Rooms: When I say they let the property speak for itself, that's a complement. The rooms/condos appear to have been recently 100% remodeled with great planning and attention to detail. My wife and I agree that with a walk in closet, we would happily live in the 1 bedroom unit we stayed in. The decor is warm and comfortable. With heavy, rustic furniture and very nice fixtures and appliances it felt like the nicest of the apartments we used to fall in love with and then walk away from because of the exhorbitant rent. The pictures on their website pretty much tell the story, but don't convey the feeling of space and comfort. There is a lot of space, and we ended up spending most of the weekend in the room, relaxing and enjoying our stay. To follow up on some of the earlier reviews. The construction seemed to be done when we arrived. There is earthmoving machinery on hand, and my guess is that they are moving into amenities/landscaping as the next project, but we heard no construction noise the whole weekend. Noise did seem to carry through the walls from the adjacent units, but the only time we actually noticed it was when the service staff was cleaning the rooms and banging around a little bit. Didn't disturb us at all, though. We asked for, and received a top floor unit, so we can't comment on the noise levels of people moving around on the next floor.

The total package: Overall, it was a great experience that we are recommending to all of our friends. Asheville is a very interesting town, and the Biltmore is a unique piece of Americana that is well worth visiting. But The Residences at Biltmore made the trip a great getaway which is exactly what we were looking for.

3  Thank jstear

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad you perceived value in our packages and chose to stay with us. How wonderful our Concierge staff helped make your first visit to Asheville so enjoyable. It’s also great that you found the suite amenities so comfortable. All combining for a great overall experience and ideal getaway; exactly what we strive for. We hope that you discovered so much in Asheville that you will have to come back and will choose to stay with us once again!

Reviewed October 14, 2008

We just got back from a weekend trip in Asheville, NC where we stayed at The Residences at Biltmore. We picked this hotel after reading the great reviews on tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. The hotel is in a great location... about 1 mile from Biltmore Village and 5 minutes from downtown Asheville. When we booked the hotel we requested a studio room. To our pleasant surprise, we were upgraded to a one bedroom upon check-in. The room was very clean and comfortable. It has the amenities of 2 plasma TVs, a refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine, walk in shower, and whirlpool tub. After touring Asheville all day it was a nice place to return to and relax. The concierge and staff were very professional and friendly as well. I will definitely recommend this place to friends.

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank katenuw
Jen700Biltmore, Sales Manager at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed our location and room amenities as well as our friendly Concierge. Thanks for recommending us to family and friends. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming them, and hopefully you again, in the future!

Reviewed October 7, 2008

Great Hotel, Great staff, Great Location!! My Wife Loved the room! Very clean!! Overall I recommend this place, it would be great if the constuction, pool, and spa were actually completed. I would love to return in a few years when everything is completed. The turndown service was soo nice, the staff even did our dishes. Even though it is not completed, I would recommend the stay but DO request a room away from others if possible the walls are thin and you can definitely hear your neighbors and construction crews. That would be the only real Fault.....Walls are not thick or well insulated.

2  Thank cbcollier
Jen700Biltmore, Sales Manager at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It’s great that you found our hotel, staff and location to be Great! It’s also wonderful that you appreciated our extra little touches in service. But please don’t wait a few years to return. Our second building with our Two and Three Bedroom Suites has opened here in October and will be complete by the end of the month. Once construction is complete many of our noise issues will be resolved. So we look forward to welcoming you back sooner rather than later!