“Great location, but could be better”

The Residences at Biltmore
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great location, but could be better”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

As an avid reviewer on Trip Advisor, I wonder if I sometimes expect too much? The rooms are nice, and clean. Be sure to request the top floor if you do not want to hear the people above you walking around all the time. As others have said, the wifi is pitiful, and obviously management hasn't done anything to address the virtually non existent coverage. We were here over a weekend, and spent the entire day at the Biltmore house, only to return to our room to find that there was NO housekeeping service. We were slightly appalled, but figured they didn't have service on the weekends? When we checked out the next day I was told they have housekeeping on a daily basis. We were just the lucky ones to have gotten skipped over, so we had no coffee, no creamer, no made bed, and no clean towels provided for us. Mgmt did appologize and said they would look into it, but did not offer any type of compensation which one might have expected for less then stellar service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Napagrl
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thanks so much for the feedback, and I am very sorry about the housekeeping mishap. I'm not sure why that happened, and I assure you it's extremely unusual for housekeeping to miss a room unless the Do Not Disturb sign is up. I'm glad the room was nice, clean, and conveniently located, and please know that we are looking into the WiFi issues on the property. I hope you'll join us again next time you're in Asheville, and I'm certain your stay will be perfect!

Shane Bounds, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Atlanta
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The 3 of us (parents + 7-year-old) stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment with a pullout couch in the living room. It's very spacious. Lots of storage area. Huge bathroom. Everything is in excellent condition. It's a home away from home!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Guiche
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! We're so happy to be a home away from home for you and your family, and I hope we can host you again the next time you're in the area.

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel looks exactly like the professional pictures, minus the live plants. It's very clean, nicely decorated, and well-equipped. It's always a relief to walk into the hotel room you booked based on what you saw online, and actually see the same hotel!

Based on other reviews and my personal experience at the hotel, there are several things I want to address to folks considering The Residences at Biltmore:
- State employees get a nice discount on rooms if you book directly through the hotel's website. Just bring your ID badge with you at check-in.
- I'm not entirely sure why so many reviewers commented about the location of this hotel. Asheville is pretty small, so no matter where you stay you can quickly drive to everything in the city, yet this hotel isn't located within walking distance of anything worth mentioning.
- In the same vein, there are no spectacular mountain views. The surrounding neighborhood is pretty and has many old-growth, lush trees, but that isn't the visual attraction of staying just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- The property was once an apartment complex. It's basically still like staying in an apartment, but one with a really helpful, insomniac friend living nearby that you can call 24 hours a day. This friend will lend you a corkscrew, light the complex bonfire, make suggestions about local attractions, and give you tiny bottles of shampoo and conditioner. You might have to deal with some things that a building originally intended to be a hotel wouldn't have, like noisy neighbors, weak wifi, or a long walk to the pool, but ultimately, you have a ton of flexibility with the space, and it feels more homey than a standard hotel.
- The water takes no less than 2 minutes (I timed it) to get hot. It was only a minor annoyance once I figured out that it wasn't an isolated incident and started just running the water before I was ready to use it.
- There is no option for room service.
- The pilot light on the fireplace was out when we went to turn it on. Not wanting an interruption during our romantic evening, we elected not to call the front office, although I'm sure it could've been fixed. You may want to check this upon arrival to avoid intrusion upon your privacy, or better yet, housekeeping should include checking this in their daily rounds.

Some suggestions for management:
- On-site vending machines would be an excellent addition.
- All rooms with a washer and dryer should have laundry detergent and dryer sheets/fabric softener.
- Offer an eco-friendly option for visitors. I understand that the housekeeping staff are trying to give guests the best experience possible, but they were a bit overzealous for my taste. Some examples from the first morning: I directly told housekeeping that we would re-use our towels, but we were still left with six extra towels. The dishwasher was run through a full cycle for two glasses. A light was left on in every room. The air conditioning was consistently turned back down to 72, even when I raised the temperature because we would be gone all day. For the remainder of our stay, we refused housekeeping entirely; it just seemed wasteful.
- Consider brushing the staff up on the specifics of the Blue Ridge Parkway. While they had plenty of shopping and dining suggestions, only one person (thanks Jordan!) that we spoke to knew anything about hiking trails, overlooks, or mileage estimates.
- The Keurig coffee in the office was tasty, but some small treats like muffins or cookies would be a nice addition.
- Try to partner with some local businesses to offer deals to guests. Most other Asheville hotels, especially the ones downtown, have special offers for restaurants and tours.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at The Residences. I felt comfortable in the hotel, and the suite was definitely a welcome upgrade. However, for the price, I would like to see the management make more of a transition towards being a true luxury hotel instead of just a collection of well manicured condos.

Room Tip: The back building is closest to the pool terrace. If you'd like to avoid noisy neighbors (and if...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BrittSprink
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback. It seems that you enjoyed your stay with us, but I wish that we had been able to offer you a five-star experience. However, your suggestions are excellent, and we'll certainly keep all of them in mind as we work to become even better for our guests. That said, it's great to hear that our team made you feel at home—we're always happy to help with a missing corkscrew! Thanks again, and I hope you'll give us another chance to wow you next time you're in the Asheville area.

Regards,
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We rented a 2 bedroom suite that was really nice, spacious, comfortable beds, fireplace and jacuzzi tub. The property host a bomb fire at dusk everyday by the pool which is really nice. It's right around the block from the Biltmore Estates and about 20 mins from downtown. Nothing spectacular but nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tonya E
Shane B, Owner at The Residences at Biltmore, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and for sharing this feedback, Tonya. It's great to hear that your suite was spacious and comfortable, and that you got a chance to enjoy the bonfires by the pool and our convenient location. I hope we can have you back next time you're in Asheville — we'd love to make your next experience spectacular!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I won a trip to Asheville, NC and we got to stay at The Residences at Biltmore. We absolutely loved staying here. I was with my mum, my friend and her family. We were in a two bedroom suite. The place has an apartment complex feel to it, but that was not a problem for us. It is a smoking free location, which means you can ONLY smoke in the designated smoking area, which is located in a separate location. For non-smokers like me, it was amazing. The apartment was spacious, lots of natural light, clean and relaxing. We had a huge master bathroom, with a whirlpool tub, a huge shower and two vanities. The other bathroom was relatively smaller, but comfortable. Both the bedrooms were spacious and comfy. We had little balconies off of our bedrooms, and a larger one off of the living room. We had a cute little dining area, nice kitchen, a full size refrigerator, and a full size dishwasher. We even had a washer & dryer in the apartment, but didn't get to use it. The housekeeping staff put our dirty dishes in the dishwasher and ran it while we were gone. We were impressed. The only complain I have about this place is their wireless internet. We could not get on the internet, no matter how hard we tried. We didn't call it in, because we had smartphones and managed it, or thought about doing our work later when we had good service somewhere else, but having good wireless internet would have been good. Folks above us were noisy and loved running around in their apartment, but then again everyone is on vacation, so we ignored them. Overall, we had a good stay here. We were so close to the Biltmore Estate and downtown Asheville that we couldn't have asked for a better location. We had fun!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MehaD
Thanks so much for sharing this great feedback! I'm so glad you joined us and got to spend some quality time with family and friends. I must apologize about your internet not working — next time please let the front desk know right away and we'll make sure to get it fixed immediately. We know how frustrating that can be! Overall it sounds like you were pleased with the suites, the location, and the service, and I hope we can host you again the next time you visit Asheville.

dallas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We love this hotel!! The rooms are huge--all suites, with full kitchens, gas fireplace and very large and luxurious bathrooms. Walking distance to Biltmore Village and a 5 minute drive to downtown Asheville. No restaurant on site, but grocery stores nearby and a wonderful wine store right across the street. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this glowing review! I'm so glad you were happy with your stay here, and we can't wait to welcome you back again. It also means a great deal to me that you felt well taken-care-of by our staff, and that your suite was everything you hoped it would be. That's what we strive for, and it's great to hear this positive feedback.

All the best,
Lewisburg, West Virginia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The condo units are very nice.....good size, clean and nicely furnished. The location is good. Bathrobes provided. Great for those who are in town for an extended period. As others have noted, try to procure a room on the top floor.
Downside -- if you are staying for more than 2 days bring your own soap (the soap provided was mini size), the A/C unit is loud, and there was never a luggage cart when we needed it (glad our luggage had wheels)
Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing this review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back. Should you ever need additional toiletries, we're more than happy to provide them for you. I'm sorry you were unable to locate a luggage cart! Again, please feel free to call the front desk and ask for one whenever you need assistance.

We look forward to having you back and to perfecting your experience!