“Gourmet food in a casual setting!”
Review of Buffalo Nickel

Buffalo Nickel
Ranked #156 of 784 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Buffalo Nickel! Our local, seasonal cuisine, extensive drink selection and charming atmosphere make Buffalo Nickel the perfect place for a night out with friends. Enjoy an exquisite meal in our fine dining room or take it upstairs for a casual evening in our game room, with pool, darts and more.
durham, nc
“Gourmet food in a casual setting!”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Pros:
Well prepared, imaginative food at reasonable prices.
Cons:
Draft beer selection consists only of micro-brews.
Tip:
Sit upstairs for a quieter setting.

We went for dinner on a weeknight at about 7 PM; seating was immediate and friendly. Our dinner consisted of chicken liver mousse (4 stars out of 5), charred octopus (5 stars), pan sauteed local trout with beans a green peas (5 stars). Bourbon ice cream (5 stars), panna cotta (5 stars). Now the details.

We asked the waiter to bring all the dishes at once so that we could sample and share all the food. He was very accommodating even bringing two extra small plates. Being knowledgeable of all the beers he recommended some for us based on our preferences. We chose a local wheat beer and a Pisgah pale ale. Both were very good; flavorful but without the bitterness we find annoying.

The charred octopus was tender, moist, and flavorful; not at all tough or chewy. Beautifully prepared with an excellent relish. 5 stars. The local trout was pan sauteed and crispy. Cooked just right. The unusual accompaniment of beans and fresh peas was excellent. The peas were obviously fresh, not frozen, and the beans were cooked from scratch. The combination of flavors was excellent. 5 stars.

The chicken liver mousse was velvety smooth and beautifully prepared. A little overly sweet for our palate, we downgraded it to 4 stars because of the sweetness, but this is just our personal taste. The dish was beautifully done. 4 stars.

For dessert we had bourbon ice cream and panna cotta. The bourbon ice cream, home made, was smooth and soft with an excellent bourbon flavor, not at all hard or frozen. 5 stars. The panna cotta was made with buttermilk instead of cream and topped with fresh black berries. Smooth, velvety, and excellent. 5 stars.

Overall restaurant rating: 5 stars.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank exaramco

Asheville, North Carolina
“Surprisingly good, and I surprise upstairs!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

This intimate, charmingly decorated new restaurant and bar in West Asheville features an upscale American menu that is delicious and delightfully creative. The chef knows his way around a fine kitchen! It's a great place to take a date, or just have a nice evening out with a few of your friends. But it would be easy to overlook one of their most delightful offerings: take a peek upstairs: there's a first-class, beautifully decorated bar with a copper countertop, more comfy seats for your meal or a snack, and a spacious, handsome room with 3 pool tables to extend the enjoyment of your evening out. One of the coolest places in what's becoming one of the coolest areas of Asheville! Bring your friends and impress them.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Donnastwin
Brevard, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rosie is a star”
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Ive only been here twice, once when they first opened and then again maybe two months later. I sat at the bar and Rosie was working both times. She made a point to recognize me and she actually recognized me and called me by my name which honestly blew me away. I hope the place does well because Rosie is a star. Ill come back because of her incredible service. Im a 20 year veteran marketing executive in the hospitality business for major resort destinations and my success has come as a result of people like Rosie. I hope they know how lucky they are.

1 Thank IslandMIke24
Asheville, North Carolina
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I currently live in West AVL and I was excited to see another restaurant/ bar open up on Haywood Rd. My husband and I were celebrating this past Saturday night (June 7th) because we just purchased our 1st home. We figured celebrating here would be perfect. It was late (11:30pm) and we went upstairs to the bar area and sat at a table in the corner. It appeared there were cocktail servers, but no one would come to our table (they seemed understaffed). We were more than patient and sat there for about 15 mins until I finally walked up to the bar for drinks. When the bartender approached me (tall, curly hair in white dress), she seemed VERY flustered and got in my face and said what do you want. As I was trying to make a quick decision she asked again, very sternly, what I wanted. After she gave me my drinks I gave her my card to open a tab. As I loaded up all 4 drinks to walk away the bartender then asked me for both me and my husbands ID's (after she had poured our two beers and two shots and watched me carefully load them in my hands). We wanted to eat there, but felt as though we were not wanted. When I paid out with a CC she slammed my receipt down on the bar and didn't even give me a pen to write a tip and sign off on the tab. I've worked at several bars and restaurants in Asheville and I've lived here for many years. I did not appreciate the way we were treated and we will not be back. I also work in sales for a hospitality company in AVL and I will not recommend any one to go here. Sorry and I wish I didn't have to degrade this place. I really wanted to like it, but maybe the staff needs a little more training.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Courtney R
Lexington, South Carolina
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are frequent visitors to West Asheville and I bought a coupon for this restaurant. Excellent food, great atmosphere and good service. We will definitely visit again.

• Visited May 2014