“Proves that size isn't everything!”
Review of Fig Bistro

Fig Bistro
Ranked #52 of 799 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Small, intimate restaurant in Biltmore Village. We arrived early and had the pleasure of being one of the first few patrons of the night. Our waitress happily offered to let us taste FOUR wines so that we could choose the best one for us. How kind! We then shared a salad and two appetizers, and all were fantastic! We definitely recommend stopping by here whenever youn can!

There are newer reviews for Fig Bistro

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The food was bistro style and very well prepared and presented. Local ingredients when possible, and nice choices between meat and seafood. The pork belly app was great, and the Mac and cheese was to die for. Friends had the Risotto and said it was great. My wife had the pork loin and loved it. Food was hot and tasty, service attentive. Try the celery and Gorgonzola salad. Wine list was more than adequate, although a little pricey on the top side of the quality offered. I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I went for lunch with some friends. We have eaten at a lot of restaurants in Asheville - most are better than Fig. The food was just okay. The Reuben - promised to be "a really good Reuben" on the menu is short on cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing. And why pastrami rather than the traditional corned beef? The salmon cake sandwich special was also declared to be just okay by one of my companions who ordered it. And when you select greens for your side, that is what you get. Just greens. Nothing added. Boring. Fig is too expensive for this kind of mediocrity. Lots of better places to eat!

1  Thank Lee S
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had lunch at this lovely little bistro today. It is very small, maybe seats 40 so be sure to make a reservation and ask for a table on the wall, not in the middle. The property faces a road, and has a courtyard with tables for outdoor dining which would be great and probably fairly quiet. The menu is limited but everything is cooked to order and is great. The portions are generous so if you are in town you will lunch the next day. Since the meals are made to order it is not quick, but with the lovely wine list it is a greet way to spend a Saturday lunch. Next time, a dinner!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Fig is still one of my four or five favorite restaurants in Asheville, along with Limones, Cúrate, Zambra and one or two others, but my last two visits here (one for lunch and one for dinner) were a un peu less than perfect.

What is that they say -- too many small imperfections spoil the broth?

At lunch, my wife's risotta was decidedly mediocre. My Reuben sandwich was wonderful ... in a way, but not in the way I get them in Manhattan or Queens. The dressing had some odd flavors and spices, delightful I'm sure, but when I want a Reuben I want one that tastes like a classic with corn beef, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing.

Then, at dinner first of all we had to sit at one of those super tiny little tables smack in the middle of the tiny little dining room. I know somebody has to, but it was my birthday and I didn't like it one bit. On top of that my steak frites came with almost cold pommes frites. Normally the fries at Fig are amazing, but these were subpar. The hangar steak with Bernaise sauce on the side was good, though. But I caught myself dreaming of the filet or strip at Ruth's Chris up the street in Biltmore, with the fireplaces and the soft chairs and big tables.

Maybe the fact that I asked to switch around the hangar steak with "'taters and spinach" and stuff like that for good old bistro steak frites messed up the kitchen's rhythm. Maybe. My wife's mussels appetizer were excellent, though she prefers another sauce than the one with shallots, and the salmon also was excellent.

Service at both lunch and dinner were, as usual, excellent.

And the atmosphere, tiny and cramped and unremarkable as it is, in its odd location in Biltmore is still very agreeable.

I can't argue for prices for the quality, atmosphere and service.

1  Thank LanSluderBelize