“Great food and excellent service with very nice wine list”
Review of Fig Bistro

Fig Bistro
Ranked #51 of 809 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2012

First visit to FIG and we will return. Food is great, atmosphere is wonderful, small cozy little place near Biltmore village. Be sure to make reservations as place is small and very busy and this was on a Wednesday night. Wine list was extensive and prices were very reasonable.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Reservations are a must at this small restaurant. Small and hard working staff. Food was sublime. A small blip with the waiter, but easily overlooked. A don't miss in the village

1  Thank Beth P
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The daily quiche is probably the best I've ever had -- tender, soft, creamy. Add a glass of wine and a salad, and you are set! Good pasta, and soups too. Lots of shopping in the area for those who are inclined.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

A relatively small bistro with great food. All four friends enjoyed a delicious salmon dinner in a relaxed atmosphere. Good selection of food and drinks; great service. Reservations needed due to size.

1  Thank sheaby2
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Thanks to a gift certificate graciously given us by my daughter's boyfriend and my son's girlfriend, we ate at Fig, the wonderful French-style bistro in Biltmore Village, again tonight.

Bottom line: Technically steak frites wasn't on the menu tonight, but that was what I wanted, and the waitperson kindly allowed me to substitute pommes frites for the side that came with the hangar steak with Bordelaise sauce ($24), and let me tell you, it was fantastic! I could eat this very authentic version of steak frites three times a week, if my cardiologist would let me. The French fries are perfect -- I would imagine they are hand cut, fried briefly and then deep fried again, like true pomme frites should be. I started with the Caesar salad ($7), and it was fine, if not particularly out of the ordinary. I did like the bacon in it.

My wife had the mussels appetizer ($10), with a tomato and tasso sauce, very good, and the risotto with mushrooms ($18). I thought the risotto had a terrific flavor, though personally I am not a risotto kind of guy.

My vodka martini and my wife's Manhattan were very accommodating, and our wines by the glass were generous pours, unlike at some other upscale restaurants in town.

The bread was excellent, though we learned it is not baked in house but imported from California. The expresso, with coffee from Bean Werks, was surprisingly good, but at $3.50 a bit more expensive than is usual in Asheville. Most restaurants charge just $2.50.

The atmosphere is certainly French bistro-like, though I have to say the setting suffers by comparison with places like Cúrate, Rezaz and Zambra.

Again, though, I can't praise the steak frites too highly. Authentic and gorgeous and absolutely excellent!

Dinner for two, with one appetizer, salad, two glasses of wine and two cocktails, plus the espresso, came to around $130 with tax and my usual generous tip. A fair price for a superb bistro meal.