“GREAT STAY!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of French Broad River Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
French Broad River Campground
Concord, North Carolina
“GREAT STAY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I am still shaking my head at some of these negative posts. We had a GREAT weekend trip. We tent camped on site T13. First impression was the tent sites were too small but once we started setting up we realized we had plenty of space. It was right on the river. VERY peaceful. The attendants of the campground would ride around periodically and check to see if everything was ok, which was nice. If you bought firewood at the front office they would deliver it for you.
Fishing was ok. We only caught two, a small mouth bass and some type of carp. There is a train that comes through every few hours. It is cool to watch it but it can be a nuisance after you have turned in for the night.
OVERALL, we had a GREAT weekend! We were able to relax & enjoy the riverside while staying at a great campground!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tiffany m

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Apex, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I tent camped two nights at this campground this last Fri & Sat night (4/26 & 4/27). First impression was a very unattractive, disorganized front office. Price was right and the site is directly on the French Broad River about five miles outside of Asheville. But as I drove to my site I could immediately see that the campground - though it had potential - was in a state of disrepair. Old RV's of homesteaders mixed with self-built log cabins was the scene. Sites were predominantly dirt and they were absolutely littered with Geese poop. There were no trash cans throughout the campground and most homesteaders' sites were unattractive to say the least. I think this campground has a lot of potential and hope the owners a) bring in someone with a vision for the campground's potential and b) invest a little capital in making the necessary upgrades.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Scott S
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I almost dont want to write a good review b/c I hate when I find a good place and then it gets mobbed. LOL Having said that, I do not want to steer people in the wrong direction, this is not the cookie cutter, 'starbucks' type of camp ground with resort ammenities, but this is exactly why I love it (we go with no kids). We like to do rustic tent camping and this is the perfect place, right along the river, and not very big, you are not on top of each other and its not full of RV's. I have gotten to campgrounds that are full of RV and we are the only ones in a tent -and on holiday for that matter..- and it is just plain weird. They rent tubes, for a ridiculuos amount, like $5 or $10 for the whole day, so you can go down the river, they deliver ice and wood through the night. The are some reviews talking about the service, while they are not the friendliest, customer service oriented people, they are not rude either, that is just the way they are. It adds to the charm I think. At night time you can see lights on the other side of the river from the fireflies, listen to the sounds of the night and the river. Can you tell I love it? We drive 14 hrs once a year to stay for a weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for the very last site. its away from the rest in its own private rock over the river and there...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank polos26
ALABAMA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Do not plan to stay here again. River views are great. Trains are not the big problem. Owners lack or slack is a problem. We prefer some privacy while camping. Our neighbors on both sides are too close for comfort. The folks are fine just small space equals too close for comfort.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BUTTERFLYGIMMY
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We did camping here.

Things we liked:-
Location is too good, just few steps to the river.
Water pump and electric facility.
Good fishing spot. We were fishing for the 1st time yet got 3.

Things we did't liked:-
As mentioned "Game Room" there is nothing to enjoy. Dirty scrap.
Small bath room with 1 shower and 2 toilets.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deepsharpal
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

If you're looking for a KOA experience, this isn't the place to go. There is no swimming pool or volleyball/badminton court, nothing is painted in bright colors, and there are no "activities" planned. Also, if you're looking for a "nice" place to go tent camping, you could probably do better. That said, my experience was almost completely positive.
We camped right by the river with our 25' trailer. Pretty much all the RV sites are back-in, but that's okay. (Note that they only have 30-amp electric, so keep that in mind.) The sites have concrete pads for the RV and "patio" area, and (barely!) adequate parking space for your tow/towed vehicle. The in/out road is kind of narrow, so you might have to back & fill a little to get in.
The owners were friendly without being overly effusive. They were very helpful with any questions we asked. Check-in was quickly and easily dealt with, and on the one occasion we needed to ask about something, they were very helpful.
There are apparently a number of "permanent" residents, but they pretty much mind their own business.
Since we have the trailer, we didn't use the bath house. I did take a look at it, though, and it seemed to be reasonably clean. Certainly it's not fancy; basic shower and toilet facilities, if you know what I mean. Still, it wasn't disgustingly filthy. I did see a caretaker go into it daily, I assume to clean up after sloppy campers.
There are a couple of strategically located dumpsters at each end of the campground. They were emptied twice the week we stayed, but they seemed to fill up again pretty quickly. I didn't see any overflow, though, and didn't notice any particular stench from them.
The wifi was - well, let's be kind and say it's okay. You will have to re-log in quite often, though. For some reason, it will ask you for this several times a day, interrupting whatever you were doing at the time. When you are connected, it's reasonably fast, but you won't be steaming any movies over it. We actually found it faster to use my wife's smart phone "hot spot" feature!
Yes, there is a train track on the other side of the river. Yes, several times a day, there will be trains using it. It is a relatively steep grade, and the engines are working hard to pull the train up it. It doesn't last long, though, and I actually thought it was kind of fun to watch them go by. that's just me, though. I never noticed any noise from the highway adjacent to the campground.
All in all, I found our experience at French Broad River Campground to be enjoyable and relaxing. We sat under our trailer's awning in the evenings, reading and listening to the river rushing by. Local ducks (and ducklings!) would be swimming around, adding to the quietly picturesque view. There were no loud parties (or squealing kids - this is not a children-oriented campground), and the neighboring campers all seemed to like it, as well. If you're looking for a place to spend a relaxing and quiet time camping in your RV (I can't speak for the tent campers), I can recommend the French Broad River Campground.

Room Tip: If you're in an RV, try to get a campsite near the center of the campground, like sites 10 throu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dan M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed in the large cabin, redwood. It was nicer than expected. The cabin was clean, pretty modern and cozy. Downstairs bedroom was comfortable. Upstairs loft does have low ceiling but is great for kids. Owners were friendly and so were neighbors. A few are permanent residents. The road to the campground is nothing to look at but the river view once you arrive is nice and the river itself was cleaner and more enjoyable than I would have thought. Swimming and wading is a great activity. Since we didn't use port potty or camping bath we can't comment but the cabins for rent are well kept and we would return/recommend.

• Stayed June 2012