“AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL !!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
French Broad River Campground
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My family and another went to this campsite for a whole week ( which is not recommended whats so ever ) and it ruined camping for everyone. I love the outdoors, but I also love my showers. The 'bathhouse' was a complete JOKE as to there was no one to clean it but a 'For everyone's safety please mop after yourself ' sign with a bucket of dirty water and a smelly mop next to the door, the stalls didn't even have proper doors there was a curtain ( you could see through it ) and a wooden thing that had no latch and did not close all the way. The shower had mold everywhere ! my sisters and I had to get clever and buy biodegradable shampoo and conditioner to shower in the river. The trash was over flowing all the time, GROSS! and a lovely train with a really loud whistle comes buy every 3 hours, even during the night. I don't think the 'rent a john!' were ever cleaned out so pray that your campsite is not down wind from them. I wish I had pictures to show but I'm afraid the health department would become involved. On the plus side the river is absolutely gorgeous! just choose an alternative camp site

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank lifeliving123
There are newer reviews for French Broad River Campground

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Nasty nasty nasty. Do yourself a favor and don't go here. Yes, the river is nice, but that doesn't outweigh the negatives. Where to start? OK, it is filthy. It is rarely if ever cleaned. There was litter everywhere and the dumpster was overflowing with trash. It is located conviently near a dump (which I guess is ok), but the dump trucks speeding by with their engine brakes blasting is obnoxious. The ruddy-faced residents (employee? alcoholics?) sit around the 'bath house' with their dogs and make you feel like you are preciptously descending the social ladder. My favorite is the 'bathouse' though. There is a sign that declares 'Do not remove the shower head. Direct questions to management.' The bathroom is 'cleaned' daily, but don't let that fool you. It's a sorry state. The campground is crowded. It's dirty. With a little hard work, this could be a great campground, but right now it definitely is not.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank cbrglr
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband and I were doing a trip from Asheville to the Outer Banks on a budget, so decided to camp the whole time. I chose this campground because it was right on the river. I enjoyed it. We brought our own rafts and floated the length of the campground a few times each day. It was quiet and peaceful--with some of the nicest campers I've ever met. We were tent camping, so had plenty of space (but I could see how larger campers would be cramped). The bath house was kind of small and gross, but honestly, with a river right there, porta-potties by the tents and running water at the sites, I really didn't need the showers. One day we swam in a beautiful waterfall pool (Skinny Dip Falls) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mosquitos were bad (it was July by a river). We found the owner to be very friendly and helpful. We arrived early and he gave us our choice of spots--even pointed out a bigger site to us.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank fitlife60
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed a week here unfortunately. Restrooms are filthy and and have a bucket and mop with a sign encouraging the guests to mop the floor as it seems no one else did as it always stunk terribly. Men's shower head was duct tape only and dirty as well. As a seasoned camper I can endure campgrounds that are "rustic" however the French Broad River Campground was the worst I've been to. Other campers water at their site did not work and would have to come to my site. Dumpster was overflowing for 4 days and was not pleasant for the first five campsites near it. Tent sites farther away have the luxury of port-o-potties. Hosts not very friendly either. Bad vibes overall here. Recommend going somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank SeasonedCamper2011
Reviewed July 10, 2011

This place is just OK. Its old and the buildings that are situated on the property are pretty run down. People actually live in some of these houses year round. We stay in a travel trailer/camper, but the tent sites appeared to be nice right on the river, as are all of the sites. It is very tight quarters in the camper section. If you don't know how to maneuver a long camper, I would stay away. It's pretty tricky. We stayed on site #11, and it ended up being a great site for our young children (3 and 5). There is a great sandy shallow area for the kids to play in at #11. It ended up being a life saver because there is nothing else for children to do. The bottom line is this. There are nice campgrounds and there are dump campgrounds. IMO, this one falls somewhere in the middle. The access to the river for the kids is what made it work. I would only return if I could get #11 again. I give it 5 out of 10 stars. If you like to fish, it's worth it. I'm an avid smallmouth bass fisherman. Even though the river was up a bit because of the daily thunderstorms, I managed to catch over 25 smallies in 3 days, with one being a 19 incher. And a ton of catfish.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Bronzeback71
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent Memorial Day weekend camping here. The campground is relatively small and therefore also fairly quiet. Our campsite was right on the river - giving us easy access to tubing, swimming, and just cooling off! The campground rents out river tubes for $6 or $7 each for the entire day - quite a deal. If you own a kayak or canoe, you can bring it and put in right at the campsite. You can also fish in the river, if you choose. The campsites have a fire pit, electricity hook-up, water pump, and picnic table. We were tenting, but they have campsites for all different types of campers and several cabins. The owners are very friendly and personable. The campground is very much in the middle of nature, but only 15 minutes from downtown Asheville. We were also about 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway, where we went hiking. There were both groups of young people and families staying at the campground - it's great for everyone!!
Two drawbacks to this campground: 1. Across the river is a freight train track and on Saturday morning at 5am, you can hear the (very loud) train going by for about 5-10 minutes straight. 2. There is only one bath house for the entire campground - two toilets and ONE shower. If you need to use a facility without walking all the way to the bath house, you can use porta-potties which are much closer. Also, you can always wash off and cool off in the river, if you choose . . . .

Room Tip: Pretty good availability for riverside campsites
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LittleMel104
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We have stayed at FBRC every year since our children were young. We would always request and recieve site #1, and sometimes #2 as well. Our children are now grown, yet still find it fun to come with "mom & dad" camping.
We always come during July. BEST TIME!!
My husband and I stayed for the first time in our new used camper for the whole month of July. And will do it again this yr 2011 also.
We love the Saunders!! and FBRC.
If you dont love everything about camping. . .GO TO A HOTEL!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ssbfamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asheville
The Residences at Biltmore
#12 of 66 in Asheville
Asheville Swiss Chalets
Asheville Swiss Chalets
#3 of 21 in Asheville

Been to French Broad River Campground? Share your experiences!