“very nice french neighborhood bistro”
Review of Bouchon

Bouchon
Ranked #18 of 823 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Asheville is a small city in the western N.C. mountains that has more good restaurants than just about any other comparably sized city in the South. Bouchon is one of the best. it's a small, charming French bistro-style restaurants located in a funky strip of shops and restaurants on the north end of downtown. The all- you-can-eat mussels specials they have once or twice a week are well worth any wait you might have for tables. The braised meat dishes are also good. and the pomme frites are, as you'd expect at a French bistro, excellent. the creme broulee desserts are fabulous, too - you can get a sampling of four or five mini-ramikins, each with a different, unexpectedly delicious flavor. We like the saffron, rosemary and lavender creme broulees best. but they all are good. the only cautionary note is: on the busiest nights, the kitchen staff seems to get overwhelmed at times, and the wait for food is longer than a hungry patron might like. if you're a hurry, go somewhere else. bouchon is the type of place to go when you have the time to enjoy a hearty, well prepared French meal in a romantic (but not fussy) restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed July 27, 2008

My brother told our innkeeper that he wanted steak for dinner. They recommended Bouchon and we were happy that they did. Two of us had the pepper steak and two had the garlic steak. All four were cooked to perfection and as requested. They came with delicious thin cut French fries served on the side in a paper cone so as not to get soggy from the sauce on your steak. There were also green vegetables on the plate but we didn’t eat them so that we could save room for the chocolate mousse! The mousse was very rich and quite a large helping. I am glad that two of us shared one portion. Our table was right across from the open kitchen so we could watch the wait staff busily working throughout the night. The seating was a little tight and the noise level was a bit high so sometimes it was hard to hear the conversation at your table. We really enjoyed it and would recommend it to you.

Reviewed June 24, 2008

After reading other reviews, I decided to try Bouchon while visiting Asheville. Our party sat outside on the patio, which was pleasant, as was the service. I had the French onion soup, which I found to be overly salted (and I like salty foods) and a salad with roasted beets, walnuts and goat cheese that was nothing to write home about. My dining companion had the trout and throughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind trying Bouchon's again, but given the number of unique and tasty restaurants in Asheville, I'm not sure this would be at the top of my list on my next visit.

Reviewed June 20, 2008

We are out of towners and stayed in Asheville for 3 days, so we ate at many restaurants (all of which were awesome) but this was hands down the best! The prices are mid range but it is worth it if you are looking for a delicious meal. The menu has more on it than they show online. We had the creme brule after our wonderful meal which was the best ever! It was cozy and packed every night we walked by, which is always a good sign.

1  Thank kimruca
Reviewed April 21, 2008

We ate at Bouchon this past week-end and it was excellent. A pleasant server and suberb escargot. Next we both had the trout which was nicely prepared and very tasty. Of course, for dessert we had to try the African Queen which was as good as others have said. Service was timely and food was wonderful with artful presentations. . We'll dine there again.