“Had a great meal”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

You can't make a reservation at Bouchon, but we hoped we would be OK as it was a Monday night. We got right in with a table across from the open hatch to the kitchen, so we could see what was going on. The place was busy and everyone was obviously enjoying the food.

Our server, Jonathan, was funny, helpful and attentive and seemed genuinely interested in whether we were enjoying our meal. I had a half order of mussels to start while my husband had the escargots, which were done in plenty of garlic butter, as he likes. His pepper steak was great and the ravioli with crayfish (I think) tails were just wonderful. We finished off with the chocolate mousse, which was the best we've had since our favourite restaurant in Paris closed down.

I gather the owner is French and from Lyons, a famous foodie centre, and we have friend from there who bears that out. Bouchon reinforces that.

A great meal and a great atmosphere. I can't imagine why anyone would find the food tasteless or dislike anything about it.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I both ordered the rabbit. People we spoke with recommended this but unfortunately we were disappointed. The rabbit was tender, but it was swimming in sauce which was lacking in flavor. Maybe something else would have been better.

1  Thank susan12222
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our second visit to Ashville this year and enjoyed it so much the first time decided to go back and was not disappointed. Both times had Stacey who was outstanding..... friendly, knowledgeable, and always there when you needed her.

Gos, had the mussels for an app and they were soo good with the crusty French Bread there soaking up the broth. I only wish we had gone on one of the nights when they had all you can eat mussels.

The sign of a really good restaurant (or hotel for that matter) is how they handle a problem when it happens. I ordered my Bistro Steak medium rare and it came out rare..... So no big deal, I expected them just to throw it back on the grill and return it. Instead, whole new steak, cooked perfectly, new veggies, etc........ very classy!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were so happy to discover Bouchon's listing among Trip Advisor's recommended restaurants. It is authentically French, as evidenced by the owner's visit to the table to check on how we were doing -- he's from Lyons. The waiter was very friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. We had moules frites, roast chicken with thyme, and Confit d'Automne (super flavorful chicken served with pumpkin ravioli in a sage cream sauce). My husband was delighted with his beef marrow bone appetizer, and said the wine list was exceptional.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

First timers to Bouchon....found restaurant on Trip Advisor...read that they did not take reservations. We called and asked if we would have a long wait for a table. The hostess said to come over as she thought we would not have a problem. She was right. Perhaps because it was a Sunday night or just pure luck, we walked in and were immediately seated inside. Had we chosen to eat outside on their patio, we would have had to wait.

A lovely dinner experience. The "feel" of the place is much like a typical French Bistro -- casual & a little noisy...."Shellie" our waitress couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. Her recommendations were "right on". For our first course I chose the pate plate - it was wonderful - one country style and the other a mouse. Hubby had the "local" cheese plate - another winner. For my entrée I ordered the Pork Scallopini (one of the daily specials) which came from a local farm -- tasty, albeit a tad overcooked for my taste. When I mentioned this to the waitress she told me she would "tell the chef". Guess he'll know better for next time. No mention of "would you like another" or "do you want something else" ... a little surprised at that. The wine list was extensive and we tried a couple of wines that we were not familiar with. We were pleased with our choices. We did not have dessert (although the items on the menu sounded awesome) because we were full. Overall - a lovely dinner experience. If you're in the mood for a "bit of France", do go and check out Bouchon I think you'll like it.