“Lunch Buffet is Awesome”

Mela Indian Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 832 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Located on Lexington Avenue in the heart of downtown Asheville, Mela Indian Restaurant specializes in North and South Indian food made from scratch with local and organic ingredients. We are certified by the Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project for using ingredients produced by local farmers. Come sample our lunch buffet which has a range of delicious options including chicken and naan cooked in our authentic tandoor oven, raita prepared with house-made yogurt, and seasonal vegetarian specialties. The atmosphere at dinner is warm and intimate; specials include such favorites such as pistachio lamb and spinach and goat cheese naan which are baked in our genuine tandoor oven. Mela welcomes children and offers a kids menu. In addition to dine-in, we also offer catering services. We have many options available - please contact us for more details. At Mela, our goal is to provide our community with a taste of traditional Indian cuisine. We hope you'll come and join us soon.
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

As a local, I have been to Mela for lunch at least 20 times. For the most part the buffet offers the same items from day to day. That said, I LOVE it EVERY SINGLE TIME! The food is that good.

I am not sure what is up with the hiring practices here as everyone that works here seems to be a thin, attractive female wearing extremely similar provocative clothing. However they also are kind and attentive.

I have eaten Indian food in many cities, and I just have to say that everything I have eaten at Mela has been delicious and as good, if not better, than all of the other Indian restaurants I have ever visited. I look forward to my next meal there!

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thanks for the continued support, Robert! It's great to hear that you enjoy everything on the lunch buffet and think the service is always friendly and attentive. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Fantastic food. I've had dinner there (pricey when you throw in a cocktail or two, but SO worth it) and I've eaten their lunch buffet a couple times. This place rocks. Delicious every time. Lunch buffet is cheap (like $10?), plentiful, and fresh. Cocktails are not cheap ($9) but they are good. I highly recommend this place. Service is always excellent as well.

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Thanks for the excellent recommendation. I'm glad you're such a fan of our food and think the lunch buffet is delicious, plentiful and affordable to boot! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

The food was spot on! The best Indian Buffet I've been to. Tandoori Chicken was my favorite. There were many Vegan options too. All the Curries were delicious. We'll definitely be coming back here the next time we're in Asheville.

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Thanks for the glowing review! Glad you enjoyed the buffet so much. We look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Asheville!

Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We had tried Katmandu a couple of nights before and were disappointed with the food and the prices, were not worth the food. Charlie the waiter at karmandu, was an attentive waiter, but everything stoppe X there. Even the restroom at Karhmandu was filthy and not useable. So. Mela Indian restaurant is th we best Indian food and service in Asheville. North carolina

Glad we stood out above the other Indian food restaurants in town! Thanks for the great rating. Hope to see you again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We chose Mela's based on reviews that were glowing. We were not disappointed. It was a rainy night, and we were lucky to get seated on the weekend without reservations. It felt very warm and cozy inside after being out in the rain. We had a simple meal, but it was very tasty. The naan bread we ordered was delicious, as were both of our entrees - we had the Chicken Tikka Kabab and the Tandoori Lamb, both served with a lot of basmati rice. We even liked the garnish which appeared to be some kind of kale.I have some diet limitations, so it is nice to find a meal I can eat that is so tasty. I would visit this restaurant again in Asheville, which is saying a lot as there are so many to choose from!

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Happy to hear that we didn't disappoint! Delicious food and a cozy atmosphere are what we aim for, so it feels great to read your review. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!