“Highlight of my trip”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Located on Lexington Avenue in the heart of downtown Asheville, Mela Indian Restaurant specializes in North and South Indian food made from scratch with local and organic ingredients. We are certified by the Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project for using ingredients produced by local farmers. Come sample our lunch buffet which has a range of delicious options including chicken and naan cooked in our authentic tandoor oven, raita prepared with house-made yogurt, and seasonal vegetarian specialties. The atmosphere at dinner is warm and intimate; specials include such favorites such as pistachio lamb and spinach and goat cheese naan which are baked in our genuine tandoor oven. Mela welcomes children and offers a kids menu. In addition to dine-in, we also offer catering services. We have many options available - please contact us for more details. At Mela, our goal is to provide our community with a taste of traditional Indian cuisine. We hope you'll come and join us soon.
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Visited Asheville for 5 days for anniversary trip with my wife. I asked several people for restaurant recommendations. Heard "Mela" a couple of times. Gave it a try. Arrived at 8:30 on a Saturday night. Wait for a table was 30 minutes. Decided to sit at the bar, which had no wait. Bartender, Caren, was so friendly and knowledgable about the menu. It was also fun watching her whip up all sorts of drinks with expert precision. Enjoyed our food immensely. Atmosphere was lively and fun. Nice mix of clientele. Just a nice vibe. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

First of all, happy anniversary to you two! Glad you celebrated part of your trip with a meal at our spot. It's wonderful hearing you thought the food, service and atmosphere were all top notch. I hope you'll come back and see us the next time you're in Asheville!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Mela is beautifully decorated and has a charming atmosphere. The chowpatti appetizer was amazing and, according to my boyfriend, quite authentic. The fresh garlic on the garlic naan was probably the highlight of my dinner. Definitely worth a taste!

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

So glad you and your boyfriend enjoyed your dinner, Sara! It's great to hear you guys were impressed with the chowpatti and garlic naan. Thanks for the recommendation, and I hope you two will stop by again the next time you're in the area!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This a a great Indian restaurant. clean nice atmosphere great menu with great food. Their staff is friendly and helpful. There was even a belly dancer while we ate our excellent meal.

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

We tend to think that you can't beat a night filled with good food and good fun. That's why we're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal as well as the dancing. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Mela is a pretty restaurant for sure. It is for that reason that the tacky mobile buffet on wheels is the first thing you see when you come in, but not a dealbreaker, just unfortunate. Hostess always seems a little impatient and snobby, but I am beginning to think those traits are a job requirement for all people whose job it is to be the first impression of a restaurant to patrons. (What the heck?) Contrast the snotty hostesses with the waitstaff, who are always top-notch, down-to-earth but professional, efficient and helpful.

Menu is big and covers all the standard Southern and Northern Indian style dishes. Prices are reasonable, if not a wee on the high side. Bar service is nice, great cocktails, nice beer and wine selection.

The food, unfortunately just always is such a let down here. It's not ever bad. It's just so flat. How you can make one of the most interesting ethnic cuisines so boring is beyond me. There is no dimension, too little spice (I don't mean heat, I mean spices), too much salt. Every dish is a resounding "fine." Kathmandu also in downtown has so much better food, but the ambience at Mela is pretty cool. If you just want a meal and don't expect to be wowed, it is a great place.

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

I'm glad you're always impressed with our top-notch service and cocktails. That said, it's especially disappointing to hear you didn't think our food was on the same level. We've been voted best Indian restaurant in Asheville for going on 8 years, so I'm a bit surprised you felt the dishes you tried were just "fine." We use high quality ingredients and most of our recipes come straight from the family cookbook to ensure a delicious and flavorful meal. I'm a little confused to read your comment about our buffet, too — the buffet isn't on wheels, but rather is stationary in that spot.

Our top priority is serving our guests delicious Indian food in an inviting environment, so I appreciate your feedback. I hope you'll give us another shot to win you over with our flavorful Indian food in the future!

Take care,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went to Mela's on N. Lexington in Asheville on the recommendation of my cousin who has lived in the area for many years. What a delight. We each ordered something different from the menu and each of us were totally impressed. Very authentic. Wonderfully flavorful; wonderful evening. Congratulations to Mela management!

Anoop K, Owner at Mela Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

We're delighted you had such a great time and were impressed with everything you tried! Thanks so much for the 5-star review. I hope you'll come back by for some authentic Indian food the next time you're in Asheville!

Take care,