“Beautiful Handcrafted Musical Instruments”

Appalachian Strings
Ranked #39 of 111 Shopping in Asheville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful Handcrafted Musical Instruments”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was in Asheville this weekend and went to the Grove Arcade and just happened to walk by the Appalachian Strings store. They have their instruments hung and lighted like art pieces on the wall and I had to go in to take a closer look. The young lady that owns the store with her husband kindly told me all about them and even taught me how to play a song on one! I have always wanted to play a stringed instrument and needless to say I bought one and haven't been able to put it down. It has such a mellow acoustic tone that so soothing to hear. I am teaching myself to play it with the book they gave me and I am just having so much fun! Another fellow was in the store buying one while I was in there who was an experienced guitar player and he was just making incredible music come out of his instrument. Definetly stop by this shop when you are in downtown Asheville it is truly an awesome store.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank ElizabethHall

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Charming shop-one of a kind find”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We spent A wonderful, relaxing weekend in Asheville and stumbled upon this interesting shop right around closing time. The owner was friendly, entertaining and very educational. We purchased two of his beautiful little instruments. If you are looking for a one of a kind experience and gift or souvenir in Asheville then you don't want to miss this shop.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique handcrafted instruments made by super nice folks”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Christmas 2013 I walked past the downtown Asheville location and I was drawn in. I played one of their upright dulcimers and immediately fell in love! I bought the smallest model and couldn't put it down. It's so intuitive to play, and the size makes it a easy to take with you anywhere. I played it during a show at the beginning of the year and a friend liked it so much that he asked me to take him to get one too. We purchased a slightly larger model and spoke to the man who makes them (Aaron I believe) and he was extremely accommodating and excited about his craft. I mentioned that I wanted one with an electric pickup and he's building me a custom one! So excited! Love these guys and will continue to recommend them to fellow string players.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ivykins
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Service & Quality!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Excellent service and quality! He was really patient & helpful. We are excited to learn to play our beautiful instrument.

Visited February 2014