“Wonderful staff”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
“Wonderful staff”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

New hotel in a convenient location to the Biltmore and downtown. Absolutely wonderful staff. Large well appointed rooms with refrigerator and safe Good breakfast. Although one could walk to downtown, it would be a long walk through a highway tunnel.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2010

In a now deleted review I referred to this place as HI Express and complained about the cost per room. Despite a rather snippy email sent to me from the manager, decrying my mistaken identity of his hotel, I have removed the prior review. This is NOT a HI Express but am thinking many will think so. And, therefor find the room costs higher than expected. The differences between Express and this place are quite dramatic; rooms are much larger, better furniture, nice pool, etc, etc. And, this location is very new and clean. But even with my AAA discount we paid a ton for the two rooms and would not make the same mistake again. Nevertheless, I have upgraded my opinions with the price caveat still in force.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed here on a Saturday night for a wedding downtown. We stayed on the 6th floor with a view of Tunnel Rd. The hotel was fairly new and we had a nice TV that I watched football on while my wife showered for the wedding. It was fairly easy to check-in early as well - around 1pm after calling that morning on our way there. After the wedding, we were looking to extend the evening a bit, but the hotel bar/restaurant was closed when we tried to get a drink around 11pm. So we headed downtown to the Asheville Bier Garden due to the restaurants around us hotel (Fiddlin Pig and Buffalo Wild Wings which was not open yet) being closed. Since it was November, can’t speak for the pool but as others have said the location is not quite walking distance to downtown unless you walk through the tunnel that is a connector to downtown. The beds were comfy and the water pressure was great in the shower (something that makes my wife very happy). We would stay here again when we make a trip to Asheville.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Lowell, IN
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stopped here on my way to Myrtle Beach and I was immediately pleased considering the small price I paid. The hotel looked rather new, maybe only a few years old. The front desk staff was nice and checkin was a breeze. Our room was beautiful, very nicely decorated. They had Bath and Body Works Toiletries which was a big plus. The beds and pillows were both comfortable. Since kids eat free, we ate at the hotel and the food was excellent; the service was great too. The only complaint I have is about the pool. It was freezing and so my little ones could not enjoy it. It was supposed to be a mineral pool, I still smelled all the chlorine, so I could not tell the difference. Parking and internet were both free. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Janann1206
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The room is nicely appointed with flat screen TV, in-room safe, microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot, hair dryer and iron/ironing board. Very clean and spacious. Location is just east of the tunnel--not what I would call easy walking distance to downtown even though the staff says it's only one mile. Lots of nearby restaurants including Outback, CrackerBarrel and my favorite--Buffalo Wild Wings across the parking lot. Many other restaurants within a very short drive including Olive Garden, IHOP, etc. I'm a female traveling along and felt very safe here. Pool and hot tub were disappointing. The hot tub wasn't very hot and the staff said they would not change the temperature. Great water pressure and plenty of steaming hot water in the shower. Hotel has restaurant if you want the convenience but food was unimpressive for the price. Got great deal on Priceline for a six night stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We booked our stay here because our favorite hotel (the Indigo) was unavailable. The advertised "downtown" location is a bit misleading -- it would have been quite a walk to the historic downtown area. However, the hotel is located just on the far side of the tunnel and there are chain type restaurants abound as well as a grocery store very close by.

The room was just as expected from a newish Holiday Inn. The bed was very comfortable, the pillow selection was great. The room was quite large. However, the bathroom had some rough edges -- looks like the finishing touches had been done in a hurry. Breakfast is not included, but didn't upset us at all; who wants to eat a hotel breakfast, with so many great eateries around to chose from?

All in all it was just as I would have expected. Nothing more, and nothing less.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
NC
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night, while in town for a race. I booked via Priceline, so the hotel was chosen for me. I definitely had my doubts since I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in many years. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was quiet, clean, and had some extra amenities I wasn't expecting, like a flat screen TV and refrigerator. Beds were very comfortable and the shower had great water pressure. The only thing I would caution is if you're looking for a hotel within walking distance to downtown, this isn't it. However, you're only a 5 minute drive away. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple