“Exceptional front desk team and great location”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Pros:
Exceptional front desk team. We were a late evening walk-in (though a rewards member) and did not have a reservation. Jon and Kaylee (sp?) at front desk worked quickly to find a solution to their sold out status on standard rooms - and they accomodated us with an upgraded room at standard rates after they asked if I was a reward member. It felt like a membership advantage. They clearly indicated the price, that breakfast was included as well as high-speed internet at no other charges. They told me where to park, offered me two bottles of water and wished me a great stay. To be honest, I felt it was handled as well as any great hotel.

The lobby is clean and crisp - very new looking - and the rooms excellent. New TV's, sheets, decent high-speed, good lighting, above average bathrooms with great amenities, in room coffee, bar sink and other services. They have a nice pool (which we did not use) and a lobby bar/restaurant which seemed well run and organized. Property had great lighting, good security and a very professional aesthetic. I give it high marks.

Cons:
Difficult to find the entrance - it is very confusing and good benefit from some additional signage from the road and right at the entrance to the property itself. Also, the A/C system is quite loud - something I have noticed in some other Holiday Inn & Suities properties. In this case, we were in a suite so the impact is modest to the bedroom area - but if it were in the room beside the bed, I think it would be bothersome if you were a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Facing the road has a little more road noise - but only if you have a door/window open. With the do...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelManager2008, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Your review of our hotel is very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to express your experience during your recent stay with us. Whether a studio, one or two bedroom suite; guest enjoy the spacious feeling and amenities that the Holiday Inn & Suites by IHG has to offer. Travelers staying in our one or two bedrooms have multiple TVs, no arguments on agreeing on a program. Our Holiday Inn & Suites Associates LOVE to assist our guests and truly enjoy helping everyone. We look forward to you returning to the Holiday Inn & Suites. Happy Travels...

Reviewed June 10, 2014

very clean lobby and pleasant front desk staff. Rooms are clean and well insulated. The property is next to I 240 and never heard a noise. Towels were not as nice as you would have expected from a three star. Sort of thin and scratchy. Other than that, the rooms were clean and in good condition. Very different experience than a previous review of this property. Did not eat at the restaurant so I can't comment but there is plenty of restaurants close by with an Outback and Cracker Barrel within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our Holiday Inn & Suites is conveniently located to many GREAT attractions. Our associates enjoy assisting our guest whenever possible and take pride in making guests feel right at home. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

After check-in we went up right away to our room to drop off our luggage. The moment we opened the door to our hotel room we noticed it smelled a little funny. At first I thought it might be the AC unit below the window, but it seemed to be a little too putrid to be a damp air conditioner. I sat down on one of the two queen beds and noticed the stench was even worse and even fouler smelling. I then looked over the side of the bed and noticed there was a crusty stain on the floor and also down the side of the bed skirt. I called my boyfriend over to look at it because I couldn’t believe what was I was seeing and smelling. We were both shocked. How the maid had not noticed this or cleaned it before we were checked into this room is beyond me. It was right in front of nightstand and between the two queen beds- a very VISIBLE location and a very noticeable smell.

We immediately went down to the front desk to let them know about the vomit we found in our room. They seemed to be as in just as much shock as we were. My significant other and I were disappointed in the way the situation was handled. We were told that since they only had a few unbooked rooms left for that night and that we had booked on Priceline that we could NOT be placed in a different, vomit-free room.

The hotel’s solution to remedy the situation for us I found to be very unprofessional. A hotel staff member came back up to the room with us with a vacuum cleaner and a can of powdered carpet cleaner. My boyfriend and I actually helped her lift the mattress and remove the soiled bed skirt. This situation was very uncomfortable so when she started to work on the stain on the floor we left the room. No one ever came to replace the bed skirt or remake the bed. We were stuck looking at the wooden base and unmade bed as a reminder of what had been there. We were given a voucher for $20 to use for breakfast in the restaurant the next morning and also a voucher for the two of us to get a free domestic beer or glass of wine that night. (We definitely needed a drink before bed to prepare us for having to sleep in the vomit den.)

In such a situation that we experienced as guests I would have expected for the hotel staff at the very least to have had us wait in the lobby while they cleaned the room and remade the bed. I hope if they have an incident like this again that the management will handle it differently and not have the guests help with the clean up of the vomit if they are truly unable to move the guest into another room due to being completely booked. In a way we felt like we were being punished for having used Priceline and still paying $$$ since that is the reason they gave us for not being switched into one of the rooms they said they still had available, even if it was an upgrade or a downgrade- anything would have been better than a room with vomit in it. The unclean, foul room was the fault of the hotel, which they should have taken better responsibility for.

The proximity to downtown and the Biltmore was okay for the price, although be warned that the location would cause hesitation for some. We felt very safe in the hotel and in the parking lot, but this location was in an area I would not want to stay in again. A lot of old run down hotels and questionable characters walking around late at night. For their regular nightly rate listed on the IHG website I have booked rooms for the same price at four-star boutique hotels in the heart of downtown Asheville. I’m not sure why this one down on Tunnel Road costs so much.

The hotel décor and the room looked like it could use an update. Our room furnishings looked very tired and we were also missing our desk chair. Not that big of a deal since we only needed the room as a place to sleep for one night after the concert we came to see. The upholstered chair was stained and the walls had damage. The casegoods also were pretty beaten up along with the lampshades. The beds and linens looked new and fresh; we felt comfortable enough sleeping in the bed that had not be vomited on but the smell still slightly lingered in the room later that night after returning from downtown. We were pleasantly surprised with how quiet our room and the hotel was. The pool also looked very nice and clean; if we had more time we would have loved to gone for a swim. I was happy with our bathroom. They shower was hot and had strong water pressure. I also enjoyed the Bath and Body Works toiletries. The room also had a small built in dry bar complete with a mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and safe.

The only other negative about this stay was the breakfast. The breakfast and service we had the next morning was less than desirable- not at all what we were expecting for a Holiday Inn. The waitress we had seemed miserable and the omelets we order looked like the kind that are premade and you just need to microwave. I’ve had much tastier omelets and potatoes in coach class on trans-Atlantic flights (anyone who has had airplane eggs can probably guess what the breakfast here was like). We weren’t too upset with it though since we only had to leave a tip for the meal and we had a nice table on their private terrace. We thanked the waitress for her service and was given just an expressionless nod of acknowledgement, not even a “you’re welcome” or “thank you for dining with us”.

I’m not sure if I would consider this particular Holiday Inn and Suites a three star hotel compared to other hotels in the area. If they revamped the breakfast and updated the rooms it definitely would be though. Otherwise the hotel was average. We definitely won’t be staying here again on any of our trips to Asheville due to the way the vomit situation was handled.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the breakfast here. If you have a voucher to eat for free then yes, but otherwise...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Amanda B
HotelManager2008, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hotel… Our Holiday Inn & Suites Associates take great pride in making every stay a pleasant experience and as past reviews suggest, exceed most expectations. IHG holds very high standards and we are pleased to say that we meet or exceed our goals in every category. We have reviewed our room attendant procedures and housekeeping department to assure the utmost quality and cleanliness is provided to our guests. Our records indicate that you were given complimentary breakfast and drink coupons for your inconvenience which you had accepted. If that is not true, please contact us so we can make things right and make you happy. We look forward to you returning to our hotel again…

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had booked a room through Hotwire so we didn't know we were getting this hotel until the transaction was finalized. When calling before our arrival to confirm our room, we were told we had gotten a king bed even though our family is three. When we arrived, a very pleasant man at the front desk (Kenneth) said he was able to switch us to a suite with a queen bed, rollout twin and a jacuzzi tub. Apparently the hotel was full, so this was not an easy switch to make. I don't know if they do this for everyone or because I recently applied for an IHG Club card, but we were also offered bottled water and vouchers for beer or wine at the bar. We read the Tripadvisor reviews, so we knew ahead of time that the hotel entrance is a little hard to find and that it really is not in downtown but a few minutes away by car. Knowing that ahead of time helped with our expectations. Would definitely recommend this as a decent, affordable option in Asheville with a very accommodating staff.

Room Tip: If you don't want to overlook the sketchy old motel out front, ask for a room facing the back of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate you staying with us while visiting the area. Kenneth is truly an asset to our hotel in addition to all of our Holiday Inn & Suites Associates. Each and every one Holiday Inn & Suites Associate enjoys assisting our guest. Not only do corporate travelers enjoy staying with us but so do families. We look forward to seeing you again soon…

Reviewed May 31, 2014

My husband and i stayed here on our trip to Asheville in April. We chose this hotel because of its location and price. We arrived and checked in with friendly staff. Our room was quite large and we felt the bed was comfortable. Our room did face the sketchy motel we read warnings about...but we were't staying at this hotel for its views. We had a lot of activities planned so we were not planning on spending a lot of time in our room looking out of the window. The hotel has a bar and restaurant but i cannot speak about it as we did not go. The hotel is pretty close to downtown...within 2 miles. I would not walk downtown as you have to go through a tunnel and i would not recommend it. There is an outback and cracker barrel right next to the hotel in the parking lot and there is an ingles supermarket across the street with a starbucks inside, I was at that starbucks every morning before my shower :). If you want a hotel for views and extravagances this is not the place for you, but if you want an affordable stay near downtown without the "downtown" price, then this is the place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience with us. Based on the limited information, I do have I would like to extend our apologizes for not exceeding our expectations. As you can see from the other reviews here, that we do typically please our guests. I am very sorry that was not your experience. I would very much like to address your other concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a typical well-run Holiday Inn property which has a professional staff and extra-clean and comfortable rooms. A few blocks to the east is downtown Asheville, and a mile to the west is the mall and shopping. Across the street is a great Ingle's Market with a Starbucks inside as well as popular chain restaraunts within walking distance. Adjacent to I-240 with I-40 and I-26 and the Blue Ridge Pkwy nearby.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our hotel associates enjoy having the opportunity to make our home their home away from home while visiting the area. We look forward to your staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've driven by the hotel many times and it's not very impressive from the outside. However, once inside we found the staff to be very friendly, the rooms to be clean and spacious, and the bar is very nice and stays open until 1 a.m. Overall, we had a great stay and would definitely go back. One note, it is very close to downtown, but it is not really within walking distance, particularly because there is a long tunnel you would have to walk through, which I do not recommend.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelManager2008, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to you staying with us again when visiting the area.