“comfortable and welcoming” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“comfortable and welcoming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

We stayed at the Princess Anne last summer while visiting family during Asheville's Bele Chere Festival. The Princess Anne is located on a quiet residential street. It feels more like an inn than a hotel. Our suite, which included a living room, small kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom, was very comfortable and nicely decorated. Bottles of water, biscotti, and chocolates were all nice touches. I enjoyed soaking in the clawfoot tub. Unfortunately due to our schedule, we were unable to enjoy breakfast or the afternoon wine. I would certainly return to the Princess Anne, however, it is not as close to downtown as we originally expected and hoped.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PrincessAnneHotel, Public Relations Manager at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
It's unfortunate that you were not able to partake in many of our guests favorite amenities, wine time and breakfast. This review was posted around 4 years ago at this point, but we now offer, to our guests who will miss out on breakfast, a wrapped plate of yogurt, fresh cut fruit, and house-made granola to be placed in their room-refrigerator the night before. This way no one has to miss out on the most important meal of the day.

I apologize if the "hotel" in our name is misleading. It is original to the building and is true to it's time, 1924. Times have changes in the new century and with it hotel design. It's true, we are more of an "inn" rather than a "hotel." We may not be the cookie-cutter hotel of today but we do offer the charm and personal touch of a B&B with the privacy of a hotel, sans the antiques. The Princess Anne is truly unique, as is Asheville!

As for the location, we are located as close to downtown as possible without being in the middle of it all. We offer a quiet respite from the busy day. And only 15min walk from town!

We hope that now you know what we offer, you will visit us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

My partner and I, and our two 90-ish moms, stayed at the Princess Anne for four nights in early July and enjoyed our visit. The friendliness of the staff was a prelude to the overall welcoming feeling we received from everyone in Asheville, a great city. We had three rooms on the third floor -- two suites and a regular bedroom. The rooms were large and very comfortable. We liked having a kitchen for the small fridge and the microwave. Our moms' delicious dinner leftovers from Thai Basil, a downtown restaurant, were just as good the following day.

In the dining room, tables sat two or four, so you don't have to go through the forced conviviality of sharing meals with large groups of people, an aspect of true B&Bs we do not like. We like to chat and mix with folks, but the only other time we stayed in a B&B, there was a sense of discomfort at breakfast because everyone thought they had to chat with "strangers."

We enjoyed a delicious breakfast each morning. The orange juice tasted fresh-squeezed (whether it was or not), and we were served something different each morning -- waffles, egg and cheese souffles, french toast -- with fresh fruit and either sausage or bacon. Coffee was hot and plentiful. There was also coffee, tea, bottled water and biscotti in our rooms, along with chocolate truffles each night. The hors d'oeuvres, wine, and ice tea available each afternoon/evening were a nice, tasty repast.

The queen sized beds were firm and very comfortable. I had forgotten my toothbrush, but one is provided in the room, along with a razor and all the regular toiletries. The showers had good water pressure and no hot water problems.

The free Internet service should be emulated by pricey chains that charge for that amenity.

My partner and I could have walked to downtown, but with the moms, we drove. There was plenty of parking around the hotel and there is a lot in back. The hotel is located in a residential neighborhood that is a five minute drive from the heart of Asheville.

We know it's an old, but nicely renovated structure. The only noises we heard were creaking floors in the hallway in the morning, and on our last day, rattling water pipes. The guests were much quieter than in just about any hotel we've stayed, and we didn't see/hear screaming kids. There is no pool, arcade, or other amenities that children would be used to, so the clientele were mostly couples of various ages. The TVs should have had bigger screens.

From the upkeep of the beautiful garden out front to the cleanliness of the entire building, you can tell the structure is well maintained. Staff make you feel at home and welcome. We consider the Princess Anne to be a cross between a hotel and a B&B. For us, it worked, and we would recommend the Princess Anne to anyone.

• Liked — Friendly staff, unique look and feel of hotel, quality of breakfast/afternoon reception
  • Disliked — Small TV screen
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Tim M
Thomasville, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

As an historic site, the Priness Anne has gotten some big publicity. I had seen it reviewed in several magazines and thought we should try it out instead of a somewhat pricier B&B. I got what I paid for.

The Princess Anne did have some bright spots. The room we had (a deluxe one bedroom) was a suite with a bedroom and a living room/kitchenette. There was plenty of space in the rooms and ample storage for visitors who might want to stay several days. The kitchen space was clean and well-kept with the basic necessities supplied. This would be particularly nice for someone staying several days who might want to prepare a few meals in (although I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that with all the great dining in Asheville!).

Some of the ammenities were above par. The coffee basket in the room also included tea (a very nice touch) and biscotti. A bottle of water per person was placed in the fridge each day, and soft drinks were free upon request at the front desk although selection was limited. The wine and cheese afternoon reception was okay, but I'm not a big wine drinker, so what do I know? The chocolate truffles were nice but were not placed in our room on each night of our stay. I don't know how they decide when to put them in or not.

The breakfasts were a disappointment. Reviews and publicity claimed "gourmet" selections on the weekends. Two of our mornings were Saturday and Sunday, so we were surprised by very common breakfast offerings that were slowly served. Beverages were entirely self-serve. On the first morning, the hot water pitcher was empty for quite a while, and the tea selections were limited each morning of our stay. Fine if you are a coffee drinker, but we aren't. The dishes included French toast (nothing special about it), egg souffle (eggs and cheese baked in an individual casserole dish), and waffles. Fruit was served as well as link sausage and bacon. Am I missing something? Does this qualify as gourmet to anyone? Other local B&B's provide much better food and service.

The biggest complaint I had was the bathroom. It was not female friendly, so ladies beware. The entire room was tile and grout (shower, shower walls, and floor) and contained the toilet and shower, and I do mean just the toilet and shower. The trash can and sink were outside in the bedroom, and there was no room to move the trash can into the bath. The shower was large but had no ledge for toiletries (although a metal rack did hang over the shower head) or to prop for shaving (quite a trick that led to lots of nicks). As most hotels do, the Princess Anne requested that guests hang up towels to be reused in order to save resources, which I would normally gladly do, but on the first day my towel had a hole in it, and on the second day my towel was stained. I wasn't inclined to reuse either of those.

Several reviews complained of noise. We didn't notice this so much. The floors are hardwood, so you can hear people walking directly overhead, but we didn't notice any other problems with noise. We didn't hear neighbors through the walls or TV's (which were, by the way, rather small and only in the living room). We were there on a particularly hot weekend, so the air conditioners might have muffled some of the outside noise.

The air conditioners are remote controlled and adequate for the space (which we can say with certainty since it was in the 90's when we visited), and both rooms had ceiling fans which was a nice touch. It was a bit warm for us to enjoy the outdoor spaces although we did sit on the shady porch a couple of times. For us, the hotel was within walking distance of downtown...barely. It was a long walk in our opinion and involved no apparent good way to cross I-240 without walking blocks out of the way(overpasses required crossing some scary on and off ramps where drivers weren't looking for pedestrians and underpasses are...well...underpasses).

All in all, I'm not sure we would visit the Princess Anne again simply because there are so many other better choices in Asheville. I'd sugget a good B&B with a jacuzzi bath.

• Liked — Spacioius suite and kitchen
  • Disliked — Bathroom and breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NCTraveler91
PrincessAnneHotel, Manager at Princess Anne Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2008
We strive to provide each of our guests with relaxing accommodations as well as consistently excellent customer service, and we regret that we did not provide an outstanding experience for you. We do apologize for any inconsistencies and oversights made by our staff, such as the unsuitable towels and the missing chocolates. We would have immediately corrected these errors and provided a discounted rate if our staff had been notified.

Because the Princess Anne shares qualities of both a bed and breakfast and an historic boutique hotel, the accommodations and ambiance we offer our guests are unique. We have tried to make the description of the hotel on our website and in our brochure as specific as possible, explaining that the Princess Anne was built in 1924 and was recently restored in 2005 by our owner, Howard Stafford, an award-winning preservationist. In order to maintain the integrity of the building while following city renovation restrictions, certain aspects of the guest suites could not be altered, such as the bathrooms. Unfortunately, jacuzzi tubs were not a possibility for the Princess Anne. In addition, the sink is in the bedroom in most suites, which is a European-style feature that is original to the building. Our suites also include modern luxuries and conveniences, such as individual heat and AC units, cable television, and wireless Internet.

We try to make our guests as comfortable as possible with our complimentary amenities, as this guest has mentioned. Each suite is stocked daily with locally-roasted coffees, in-house made biscotti and chocolate truffles, and bottled water. We have five different tea selections from an organic provider, which are available at breakfast and restocked in all suites daily. During our afternoon wine hour, we also offer seasonal non-alcoholic beverages (iced tea and iced coffee in the summer) so that our non-drinking guests may still partake, and we have three soft drink selections available upon request anytime.

As for our full, complimentary breakfast, we do offer only one selection each morning; however, we try to accommodate dietary restrictions and preferences whenever possible, and we always have in-house made granola, yogurt, and fresh fruit available for guests who prefer a lighter meal. Because we have only one chef and 16 suites, nearly double what most bed and breakfasts have, serving one selection for breakfast helps us ensure that our guests will be served in a timely manner, particularly on busy weekends. We alternate between savory and sweet selections daily so that our guests staying a few nights can enjoy a variety of breakfasts.

Overall, we try to pamper our guests with bed and breakfast-style comforts, such as complimentary breakfast, afternoon wine and hors d’oeuvres, and our in-room amenities, in a beautifully restored, relaxing setting. Unfortunately, we seem to have fallen short with these guests, and we do apologize.

raleigh nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Princess Anne in July 2007 and were very pleased with the accomodations. The rooms don't look like your standard cookie-cutter hotel rooms with the ugly comforters and matching drapes and gross carpet; rather, they look like nicely appointed bedrooms in a bed and breakfast. We stayed in the green bedroom and it was very large with a large walk-in closet. The bed was comfy and there was plenty of drawer space, great furniture! The bathroom was spacious enough. Everything was very clean. The bedroom floors are hardwood and the bathroom floors are tile. I am extremely obsessive about cleanliness and find it hard to relax away from home but I was very comfortable at the Princess Anne. We stayed Wed-Fri nights and I think our first two nights were $120 and Fri night was $150 or so. Not bad. The breakfasts were included in the price and each morning we were treated to something different. The bacon is wonderful, as are the baked apple pancakes in tart dishes. Everything was great. At 4:00pm, they serve wine, sparkling beverages, and hors d'oeuvres. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is very quiet during the week. I recommend it for couples and girls' getaways. I would not recommend it for children as it has a very quiet, peaceful atmosphere.

• Liked — Cleanliness, charm, worth every penny
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

My boyfriend and I had a lovely stay at the Princess Anne. In fact, we ended up spending more time there than we had planned because everything was so comfortable. Our suite was very nice with a comfortable bed and couch and high-speed internet. The breakfasts were tasty and the dining room sunlit with great armchairs so that we lingered with the paper each morning. The staff was very helpful in answering all questions.

While the hotel is very near to downtown, I would say it is not quite walking distance, so please be aware of that when booking. But it was a great location in a cute quiet neighborhood.

My only other complaint is that it did get loud when the folks upstairs walked around. It is an old building and it would rattle the windows.

I would definitely return.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

My husband and I rarely encounter such a pleasant atmosphere as the Princess Anne provides. The decor was impeccable and the service was outstanding. It inspired us to write our first Trip Advisor review! The entire staff was so friendly and personable that they made us feel like true welcomed guests as opposed to the sterile, stuffy feel of a corporate chain. Complimentary wine and cheese was an excellent touch, as well as the laptop provided in the common area. Our room was comfortable and spotless. Breakfast was a delicious and well presented hearty plate of gingerbread waffles and a sweet bacon. (best bacon we've ever tasted.) The only complaint we could come up with was that the televisions were a bit on the small side and that the noise traveled too well. (Though given the historic nature of the place it is to be expected) Overall an A+!

Stayed February 2007
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

Every year we spend 3-4 days with 2 other couples over New Year's Eve. This hotel provided one of our best experiences. We loved the ambiance; the staff was helpful, warm, and cheerful.

The rooms were comfortable and some were small suites with a sitting room and mini kitchen. Breakfast was included and each afternoon, there was wine and hors devourves in the first floor sitting room.

This hotel is really more like a bed & breakfast. It is an historic inn that has been renovated to maintain it's original state, so don't expect complete quiet. The wooden floors creak and sound travels through the old construction, but all the guests were courteous and we did not experience any inappropriate or late night disturbances.

I would highly recommend this hotel to adults and small groups. The gathering spaces are large and comfortable. It has one small elevator that can carry luggage to the upper floors.

While it is certainly family friendly, it does NOT have any special entertainment for children. Televisions are small and there are no video games or other equipment geared for kids. There ARE tables and board games in the library and a computer is available for guests to use.

If we ever return to Asheville, we will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Ambiance, staff, and gathering spaces.
  • Disliked — Noise traveled from rooms above and hallways.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple