“Warm and memorable experience”

Princess Anne Hotel
Ranked #11 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Warm and memorable experience”
Reviewed February 27, 2008

My husband and I rarely encounter such a pleasant atmosphere as the Princess Anne provides. The decor was impeccable and the service was outstanding. It inspired us to write our first Trip Advisor review! The entire staff was so friendly and personable that they made us feel like true welcomed guests as opposed to the sterile, stuffy feel of a corporate chain. Complimentary wine and cheese was an excellent touch, as well as the laptop provided in the common area. Our room was comfortable and spotless. Breakfast was a delicious and well presented hearty plate of gingerbread waffles and a sweet bacon. (best bacon we've ever tasted.) The only complaint we could come up with was that the televisions were a bit on the small side and that the noise traveled too well. (Though given the historic nature of the place it is to be expected) Overall an A+!

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Every year we spend 3-4 days with 2 other couples over New Year's Eve. This hotel provided one of our best experiences. We loved the ambiance; the staff was helpful, warm, and cheerful.

The rooms were comfortable and some were small suites with a sitting room and mini kitchen. Breakfast was included and each afternoon, there was wine and hors devourves in the first floor sitting room.

This hotel is really more like a bed & breakfast. It is an historic inn that has been renovated to maintain it's original state, so don't expect complete quiet. The wooden floors creak and sound travels through the old construction, but all the guests were courteous and we did not experience any inappropriate or late night disturbances.

I would highly recommend this hotel to adults and small groups. The gathering spaces are large and comfortable. It has one small elevator that can carry luggage to the upper floors.

While it is certainly family friendly, it does NOT have any special entertainment for children. Televisions are small and there are no video games or other equipment geared for kids. There ARE tables and board games in the library and a computer is available for guests to use.

If we ever return to Asheville, we will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Ambiance, staff, and gathering spaces.
  • Disliked — Noise traveled from rooms above and hallways.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I'll get the negatives out of the way to begin with. Yes, the hotel/B&B is old, creaky and has very thin walls. (It was built in 1924.) Yes, my computer monitor is bigger than the television in the room...really! And, yes the bed was a little on the firm side. They can't do much about the way the place was built, but new mattresses and bigger televisions would be nice. Okay, that's done...

My wife and I stayed for two nights and had a third-floor room. The furnishings were nice and the room had all hardwood floors. The room had complimentary truffles, biscotti and very nice soaps and shampoo. They even included a toothbrush and razor.

We had breakfast both mornings. The first day they served a cheesy egg omelet with fruit, sausage and toast. The next day we had french toast, bacon and fruit. Both days the food was great. There was plenty of coffee, tea and juice and a complimentary newspaper. Unfortunately, we were busy in Asheville and were unable to make it back for the afternoon wine.

I have always been a little reserved about going to a B&B because I don't like the close quarters and breakfast can be a little awkward if you had to listen to your neighbors all night. The Princess Anne is the perfect combination of a hotel and a B&B. The hotel is large enough that you don't have to avert your eyes from the other guests in the morning. You can remain somewhat anonymous if you want. It is also small enough that you get personal attention from the staff and can have a wonderful B&B experience.

The Princess Anne was a great getaway.

1 Thank jpandcindy
Augusta
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Stayed at this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews. Found it to be very nice, pleasant hotel and a good value for Asheville. Did not sample the breakfast, so can't comment, but did find it to be a little noisy in our room on the second floor. Not a problem until the people above started moving around in the morning. It sounded like they were in the room with us. It is probably a good idea to ask for a room on the third floor so you can't hear people above you. Our room was very nice and our friends loved their room as well.

• Liked — Very nice rooms
  • Disliked — Noise overhead from other floor
Rock Hill, SC
Reviewed December 12, 2007

This place has the best of both worlds. It's big like a hotel with all the extras you would expect, but it has a b&b feel - without some of the more annoying b&b traits, e.g., no nosy innkeepers who insist you inform them in advance if you don't want breakfast; lots of seating for two in the dining room - not one big dining table forcing you to socialize with other guests. Our room was lovely. Yes, it's an old building and comes with creaks and thin walls, but we really weren't bothered by that. The bed was a good bit on the uncomfortable side. We got there on a Friday night and felt like the only guests during the hors d'oeuvres time (which we loved). We asked about this, and the staff member said this place tends to attract a quieter crowd. This place is not comfortable walking distance to downtown, but I suppose technically it is walking distance. We wouldn't want to walk that far, but some may not mind. The breakfasts were indeed not spectacular, but they were tasty. I could have done with more food, though; however, the coffee was excellent. Oh, and the tv was so small it was almost not worth having. All in all, it's a reasonable price for a quaint & charming hotel and room.

• Liked — The layout of the suite
  • Disliked — the bed
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I do not have a single bad thing to say about our stay. It was exactly what we needed. Beautiful hotel, charming rooms with modern amenities. Loved the fact they had a laptop there for anyone to use. They really know how to take care of their guests. I didn't think I would like the B&B aspect as much as I did. We met a few nice couples at afternoon wine and cheese and had some very engaging conversations and went back to my room and realized that was the first time all day I didn't think about the bad news we had received about a friend the day before. I guess good company is not to be underestimated. I loved the place and paid less there than I did at a "rustic" inn outside of town. Have to say I was impressed by the value. This place is gorgeous, classy, and would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Class, charm, cleanliness, and attention to detail
  • Disliked — Neighborhood was kinda average
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I booked the Princess Anne Hotel based on reviews that I read here at Trip Advisor. Upon arrival, I was not disappointed!

My fiancee and I arrived at the Princess Anne around 10am after an overnight flight from Denver. We were exhausted and my fiancee had been lucky enough to contract food poisening. Talk about bad timing! I knew that check in was at 3pm but we stopped in anyway in hopes that our room would be available. It wasn't, but the lady at the counter promised to have the cleaning people clean our room as soon as the other couple checked out.

We were able to check in around 1pm and really appreciated the staff quickly cleaning our room. It was Thanksgiving Day and we had dinner plans with family at 8 so the few hours of sleep really helped.

Karen, the housekeeper, left us a nice note and some extra tea which was so nice of her! The staff is really friendly!

We loved our breakfast each morning and the wine reception in the evenings is such a nice touch. There is also a laptop in one of the common areas which was helpful to us. They have wireless internet in all of the rooms, but we hate lugging our laptop everywhere we go. It's nice to be able to check out a quick restaurant or email without transporting our personal laptop.

We will certainly visit Princess Anne again, the next time we are in Asheville!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — I fear that the rooms on the lower floors could be noisy due to the hardwoods. We were on the top (3rd) floor though so it was ok for us!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple