“Love it!”

Ranked #11 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Ladson, SC
“Love it!”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I are lovers of small, quiet inns and B & B's, and we are history lovers, so the Princess Anne fits the bill. This was our first stay, and we definitely plan to return. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The afternoon wine/cheese reception is so relaxing, delicious, and enjoyable. Breakfast we yummy. Patrons have a choice of waffles, a quiche, or a granola/yogurt parfait. I love that breakfast is served between 8:30 and 10 a.m.; we didn't have to rush. The service is very friendly and personnel; the desk clerk gave us directions, retrieved a book I left in the parlor during hors d'oeuvres, and treated us as valued customers. My husband looked at me during breakfast and said, "I think we've found a new place." I've had to win him over to the small boutique inn/B&B scene, so that was a biggie for him. We definitely plan to return to the Princess Anne in a few months. The only caution I will issue is that because it is old, the floors creak, and the insulation in the walls isn't terrific. If those things don't bother you, you'll love the Princess Anne.

Room Tip: The elevator is quite old (charming & quaint), so a room on the lower floors is advisable.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Staying at this bed and breakfast was a treat even on the coldest weekend of the year. This older building is large for a B & B, but it doesn't affect the friendliness and charm a bit. Our suite was roomy and warm. The breakfast each morning was more than we'd expected with a choice of 3 breakfasts. The wine and finger-foods in the late afternoon are worth doing. There's a large table full of foods to choose from. The staff helped in making dinner plans as well. Would love to stay here again. It's a bit far to walk downtown, but only a short drive to get to downtown and to the RIVER ARTS DISTRICT (a must-do),

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed February 22, 2012

You will absolutely love this hotel. A beautiful renovation of a 1924 hotel, preserving all of the classic features. Very Asheville "Heyday" Vintage. The rooms are large, sunny and well-appointed and the staff could not be more pleasant and accomodating. Several quiet areas for working if needed. I am on my laptop downstairs now with piano music playing softly and the door to the porch is open with a soft breeze wafting through.Good quality wine and delicious hors d'oeurves are served at 4:30 in the living room and the breakfasts in the dining room are just excellent. This morning's was a choice of French Toast with Applewood-smoked bacon and fresh fruit (my choice and just fabulous) or a Brie and Asparagus Omelette or granola. Choice of juices and tea or coffee - all included with the room price. The Princess Anne is a ten minute walk from downtown and Fuddruckers' great burgers are just around the corner! I need to be back in Asheville in six weeks and have already reserved my room for my next stay.

Room Tip: The available suites include a sitting room if that is needed. I was traveling by myself so the Delu...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Fort Thomas, Kentucky
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This place had incredible charm.

We stayed in a spacious and comfortable two room suite that was both clean and comfortable. The staff was super nice and helpful. The wine and hor dourves in the evening and the made to order breakfast were both fine additions to our stay.

We have already recommended this Inn to family and friends and we just got home from there yesterday.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dsn41075
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 9, 2012

If you like well kept, older buildings with loads of history, you'll love this hotel. The entire time I could imagine white-gloved ladies sipping tea in the front room. The place is very charming and clean. The staff quiet, helpful, and available. Everyone made sure I was comfortable. The breakfast and coffee each morning was delicious and the dining room rather elegant. This is a relaxed place where you can take it easy.

Room Tip: It's an old place so the floors do squeak (I think it's part of the charm) when someone walk...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in a deluxe room at the Princess Anne and loved our experience there. The Princess Anne retains the best aspects of a B&B without the downsides: the staff were friendly and suggested fun hikes for us, the breakfast was delicious and made to order and served in a beautiful dining room, and there was a generous wine/happy hour. Unlike other B&Bs, the very professional staff maintained a warm atmosphere without making us feel like we were staying at a distant relative's house.

Especially loved the modern bathrooms with fantastic Ecru toiletries (I regret not taking all the bottles with me!), the complimentary truffles and water bottle, and large, comfortable four-poster bed and bay windows. And the antique elevator!

The neighborhood was mostly residential and quiet, and we drove into downtown Asheville for dinner and to see the art studios. Try Table if you're in the mood for a nice dinner.

Again, a perfect stay. I wish there were hotels like this in every city.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms (sleeping 2) are a great value and are very large. The bathroom didn't have a t...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We spent one night at the Princess Anne Hotel this past weekend and were very impressed. Our two-room suite (#303) featured a bedroom and separate sitting area and kitchenette. The suite was well decorated and very clean and comfortable. All in all, it was about the size of two regular hotel rooms with a bathroom in between.

The kitchenette included a mini-fridge, two-burner stove and a microwave. Although we were only there for one night, any utensils we might have needed for a longer stay were provided. It would definitely be possible to comfortably cook a few meals in the room.

On that note, we really enjoyed the wine and hors d'oeuvres (vegetables, meats, cheeses, and fruits) downstairs, which are served from 4:30-6 each evening. It was very relaxed but also elegant.

After a glass of wine, we walked downtown for dinner. It took us about 15 minutes to get to the restaurant. Although this probably wouldn't be an option for anyone with mobility issues, I think most people could make the walk in 20 minutes or less. The neighborhood was safe, and with the help of the hotel staff, we avoided walking down any major streets.

Breakfast was served in the dining room the following morning and marked a perfect end to our stay. From what I understand the menu changes, but we had an option of waffles, a fruit plate with yogurt, or an omelet. The omelet, which was served with fruit, bacon, and toast, was great.

Before this trip, we planned to stay at the Grove Park on our next visit to Asheville, but our experience at the Princess Anne has changed our minds. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple