“Busy & loud - not the romantic stay we were hoping for”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
columbia, sc
“Busy & loud - not the romantic stay we were hoping for”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for our anniversary weekend. Unfortunately, the resort was also hosting a wedding (or two), a large Tattoo and Piercing convention and another conference of some sort. In addition, the hotel accepts pets, and we were awoken both nights/mornings by barking dogs in the room next to us. Of all the things I have ever experienced in a hotel - barking dogs is probably the most ridiculous. If you travel with a pet - this may be a great option for you. Otherwise, this "resort" is too busy accommodating groups and pets to cater to couples.

Upon check-in, I requested a room with a quiet location. Our first assigned room was on the first floor. As we opened the door to our room we could hear two things - very loud live music and children playfully screaming. We looked out on our patio and found we were about 20 feet from the pool. We realized this location would probably not provide the privacy and peace/quiet we were looking for. Beyond our building we could see a stage area and hear a live band. When I returned to the front desk to request a different room, the staff was not aware of the live band. Hmmm…

Next, we were assigned a room on the second floor of the main building. This location had a nice balcony overlooking a wooded area. Much more private. However, the band was still very audible. I am by no means a prude and enjoy loud, live music. However, this was death metal. Profanity laden death metal. All we could hear was the "f" word again, again. Nice. Glad our children were not with us! Thankfully we were leaving for dinner. I just cannot imagine why hotel management would allow such an event to take place. Complete disregard for paying customers!

One of my pet peeves when checking into a hotel, is front desk staff that is not informative. That was definitely the case here. We were simply given a room key. No information about breakfast. No information about pools, golf, tennis, etc. No resort map. No mention of the shuttle. Nothing.

The room itself was comfortable and clean. Definitely older and remodeled, but above average. My husband and I are mattress snobs, and our bed was dreamy! Very comfortable. We slept soundly when the dogs weren't barking.

The details are lacking at this hotel. The elevator in our building did not work properly. You had to push the up button to retrieve the elevator to go down. There was no sign informing us, we figured it out on our own. Our room offered some nice samples of "spa" quality linen spray and lotion, but the packaging was supposed to hold three products and we only had two. The first room we were in, did not have the samples at all. Vending machines on our floor did not work, but again - no sign.Throughout our stay, the trashcans outside the front of the hotel were overflowing.

The resort is a short drive to downtown, but definitely not convenient to downtown. The entrance and exit to the resort is a little strange, too.

Thankfully we booked our room on Priceline for about half of the regular rate. I think I would have been irate if I had paid $250 per night.

In general, the pools, recreation, spa, etc. are a nice bonus to an "in-town" hotel in the Asheville area IF you are looking for those things.

The breakfast buffet was not inspiring. $10.95 per person with limited selections. Long line for the waffle and omelet station. The omelet was terribly prepared. We sat there for 45 minutes and our drinks/coffee were never refilled.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I truly regret that we have missed the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff using your feedback as a learning opportunity. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort – 1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

My stay was uneventful but disappointing, to say the least. To call this a resort does an injustice to true resorts. Checkin was laborious and tedious. Our room was uninspired and noisy. The whole facility lacked any degree of charm. Overall a disappointment and, even though it was billed as "downtown Asheville", don't believe it! Very disappointing experience. Would never recommend this hotel....er resort.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Casey290
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, June 22, 2014

Washington, NC
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I was here for a conference and had a reduced rate on the room. Room was large and clean and found the facilities to be nice. Took my family and my girls had fun at the pool and thought the grounds were nice. We found the staff to be helpful though we did not have any real special needs arise. Only complaint were the people who were attending same conference who were extremely loud at pool at 1:00 am.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will plan your next trip with us so we can provide you with another great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Visited for one night to see if it would be good for corporate needs. Stayed on 1st floor..there was people above us partying all night long. Called front desk "Julie" and every time she said I sent security and they heard nothing. Finally after my husband called and asked for security to come to our room and listen and he did. He said wow I am sorry and I will fix this. We had no sleep and when we tried to talk to front desk about it they acted like they could care less. Needless to say will never stay here again and will not use it for corporate purposes.

• Stayed June 2014
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, June 21, 2014

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Wow - it's amazing - the Holiday Inn Brand is resurgent. THe new hotels are really nice. It seems, like Hilton has done with Doubletree, the Crowne Plaza brand is the brand of death - the old facility that they're putting minimum investment into. First off, you turn at the driveway to get to the hotel - no signage - you drive past tennis courts and golf.....it's lucky if you find the hotel. THe layout is atrrocious - you walk a mile to your room. The hallways, elevator - are all - ancient, disgusting, just bad.

The room - well, it's ok - but not up to Crowne Plaza standards. Stained carpet, etc. Hey, when the Fairfield is $150 and the Crowne Plaza $85 - I guess that tells you something.

The gym - well the equipment has tvs - but not attached to the machines. They must be the first ever cardio machines with tvs - because these are stand alone - and the equipment is old.

Room service - they have 4 choices - but somehow brought me half my meal. They went back to bring the rest - but brought back only half of what they were supposed to. I never got tea or juice - even though i was asked twice - what juice and what kind of tea.

Internet - that works.

Mulligans pub - that was ok. The bartender/waiter was good. There were rude customers - and I felt bad for him.

All in all - it's not unbearable certainly - but - Crowne Plaza - heck no. I say Crowne dump.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, June 20, 2014

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were visiting Asheville and stayed at the Crowne Plaza. What a great experience. The hotel staff was very courteous and helpful. The room was very clean and spacious. The beds were very comfortable. We had a hard time getting up early. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gwaugh

Blairgowrie
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We came here to visit Biltmore, and found Ashville to be a charming town amid beautiful scenery.
The negative reviews seem unfair to us- certainly this is a resort that was built sometime ago, but we had no complaints about the room with a balcony overlooking beautiful wooded grounds. Plenty sporting facilities, and even little laundry room where we could get some washing done.
A few minutes drive takes you to the delightful downtown area, but we chose to eat in the hotel and were surprised by how few other guests did so. After the first evening in an empty dining room,we ate in the friendly bar. The menu seemed a bit strange at first glance to our British tastes, but the food was delicious and cheap.
Finally, a mention for the helpful and pleasant staff. We would return in a moment!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple