“Horrible”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The stay at this "resort" was definitely the worst experience I have ever had while traveling. I have stayed at many one and two star hotels that surpassed the accommodations and guest services I received during my stay here.
I called a few days prior to arrival to request a king bed,and I was told that would not be a problem. When we checked in, we were given a room with 2 small beds,not the king I had requested. I was told there was an upgrade fee,which was news to me because the staff member I spoke with on the phone NEVER mentioned this. The staff never attempted to rectify this problem.
The next issue was the "complementary wi-fi available in every room". We probably called five times during our two night stay because the wi-fi was NOT working. We were told twice that they would have the router reset,which didn't resolve the issue either time. One staff member told me to go out in the hallway or go outside on the deck because it usually works better there! Paying to stay at a "3 star" hotel and having to go outside your room just to use wi-fi...seriously? We eventually did try this,but the wi-fi still did not work. The staff eventually gave up and so did we. It was obvious they did not plan on resolving the problem. If you can't provide these services, they should not be advertised.
Also, I would question the safety of the run down slow elevator.
In short, this resort is outdated,overpriced, and the staff were the most unhelpful I have ever encountered. Our hotel stay here completely ruined the trip.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather W
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I truly regret that we have missed the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff using your feedback as a learning opportunity. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort – 1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806

Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Crowne Plaza is trying to transform itself into a proper resort, and has made great strides in the past few years adding access to the Asheville Racquet Club, golf course, pools, spa, and a zipline adventure. This time we stayed with friends in the Villa rather than in the main hotel. I recommend it. Ours was the best of the villas, Le Conte II, which was very private with its balcony with four chairs and a table overlooking the creek and golf course. The kitchen was well equipped. The bathrooms had some drawbacks...hot and cold were reversed, the tub was very high-sided. A train passes in the night, very close by. The resort is located west of the French Broad River in what is called West Asheville, from which highway access to Asheville is very peculiar. The resort does offer transportation for the faint of heart.

Room Tip: Villa Le Conte II with two bedrooms, two baths, was good for two couples.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will plan your next trip with us so we can provide you with another great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville for 5 days. We really enjoyed this hotel. The location is perfect. Very near here is downtown Asheville, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Biltmore. Even though right down the hill from the hotel are some restaurants and a busy highway you get the feeling you are out in the country with the golf course views and walking trails (that I used every morning) that surround the hotel. As some others have wrote, it's a little hard to find at first. The staff bends over backwards if you have any requests. The breakfast buffet was excellent and there was fresh brewed coffee and a newspaper every morning in the lobby. The room was made up every day and we had fresh towels. We loved our balcony and view of the rolling hills. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandyandBill
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Got this on Hotwire and was pleased to find it was attractive and clean. In a great location and there are 3 pools! We have stayed in lots of hotels in Asheville and this one is a the top of the list.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank acobbm
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Disappointed. Upon arrival the front desk had a hard time with customer service. The staff's radio was not in working order so the front desk lady had to physically check to see if our rooms were ready. 15 minutes later, she returned and said they were... 2 hours after check-in time. I spoke with the manager about my concerns and she, too, was rude. Interrupting a guest to address another employees concern in unacceptable. The pictures may look nice but only from that angle. This hotel needs proper hospitality training.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed May 23, 2014

I was slightly concerned about our stay here after reading the previous reviews. However, I have to say that we found the accommodations to be more than adequate. This hotel is clearly an older property but is well maintained and has been recently updated. The rooms were very nicely appointed with granite counter tops and very comfortable bedding. Each room has a patio or a balcony. We stayed on the first floor so we had a patio. Only downside of the rooms are the small bathrooms with their low shower heads. I am six foot three inches tall and the water hit me at just below my chin.....
This resort is on a sprawling piece of property and spread out among multiple buildings, but you get a map at check-in so no worries there. We checked in very late and were greeted by a very pleasant desk clerk who also recommended a great place for us to grab breakfast in downtown Asheville on our way out of town. (There is a breakfast buffet at the hotel but we decided to be touristy)
Multiple reviews mentioned the resort being hard to find, but we had no trouble. The property has very easy access both to and from the interstate making coming and going very convenient. It just a short drive to The Biltmore and the Blue Ridge Parkway and an even shorter drive to Downtown Asheviile.

Room Tip: First floor with a view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

The pool was closed all week, our porch light was broken and the staff was minimal, but the resort's bar, breakfast buffet and access to the Raquet club were real pluses. Our villa was located in a private area next to the small par 3 golf course and beautiful stream so when we weren't able to sit by the pool, we could sit on the porch of our villa and soak up the views. The spa is well run and very nicely appointed and the attached Raquet club had tons of classes and well maintained hartru tennis courts. The villas need some serious updating, the stove probably dates back to the early 80s, but I would come again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014