“Best kept secret!”

Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Best kept secret!”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Another great weekend, thanks to Lori and her team! You can't beat their attention to detail and helpful staff. Our room was very clean, and we had a great view. The shuttle is the best deal in town. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2014
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will plan your next trip with us so we can provide you with another great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort – 1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Clemson
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I travel to Asheville a lot. I'm only 1.5 hours away so I'm a Biltmore passholder. Biltmore is my getaway. I'm close enough to go back home but sometimes I like to stay overnight.

I recently had one of those moments where, at the last minute, I decided to stay in Asheville so I booked a 3.5 Star hotel in the Biltmore Area through Priceline. I got a room for $75/per night (+ taxes/fees). Not bad. When I saw it was the Crowne Plaza I was happy until I maneuvered my way over to (what felt like) the outskirts of the Biltmore Estate area, up a hill to a strange, secluded area off the main highway. It's right behind a Sam's Club. It's an awkward area to get in and out, until you learn the best way to get in and out! I followed my GPS the first time and although it got me to the resort, I found out later by just driving around there's an easier way (with a red light).

The Main Lobby is really pretty. Reception was friendly to the first 2 couples in front of me...explaining all of the resort amenities, offering them fresh baked cookies...but I didn't get any of that reception. I'm assuming that's because I got the Priceline deal? I don't know. But they got me checked-in quickly and I was on my way to my room.

This is a resort, rather than a hotel, so there are separate buildings for some of the rooms. I prefer (as a solo traveller) to stay in the main building the lobby is in but I didn't request that. Not sure that I could have since I booked through Priceline. But there was fairly convenient parking to my room. I was on the 2nd floor so I just took the stairs. Its an obviously old building that's been newly renovated.

The room was very spacious and clean. Everything looked new. Although the hallways are interior, the room still had an outdoor patio that overlooked the parking lot. I could see some of downtown Asheville, too. The only thing that bugged me regarding my particular room was how small the bathroom was. Sorry for this visual, but I couldn't sit on the toilet without the door being right up against my leg. Hehe - I guess I could have CLOSED the door first and I wouldn't have had that issue... :)

This hotel served it's purpose - it gave me a place to sleep for the night at a Priceline deal which is what I needed. As a solo traveller, it didn't have that safe/comfort feeling that I like to have, but I slept well nonetheless.

I would definitely not pay the full price rate for this hotel. There are better choices in the Biltmore Area at those rates. But for a quick place to spend the night at a Priceline deal, I would accept staying here again. It's a fairly easy drive to Biltmore...and downtown Asheville for that matter.

FYI, there's a Japanese restaurant, a Denny's and a Pizza Hut just down the street. :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I truly regret that we have missed the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff using your feedback as a learning opportunity. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

To say how large this hotel is, we found it surprisingly difficult to locate and would recommend clearer signposting. The room was very spacious and comfortable, though we almost needed the shuttle to get to reception!! There is an abundance of facilities as one would expect at a "resort hotel", including out and indoor pools, a 9 hole golf course, tennis courts etc. However, our main objective was to visit Biltmore and then join the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is an excellent base to do either and Ashville itself is a pleasant, slightly quirky, place.
Buffet breakfast was $11 and was good value, with omelettes made to order a highlight.
Another plus was the regular shuttle into town for a small fee and it operated late into the night if needed.
We stayed 2 nights and paid £92 per night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I admit I questioned this tournament hotel until I arrived. Everything went far better than expected. Three of us shared suite 298 - a large spacious room with king bed and sofa bed. It was comfortable, quiet and just great for three nights. The shower was good and there was plenty of hot water.

The breakfast buffet worked best for our crowd as the service was on the slow side.

The bar is a great asset for this resort. We gathered in the comfortable atmosphere, enjoying evening beverages, music, large screen TV's and excellent dinner right at the bar.

The tennis facility needs some time to mature but it was super for our tournament.

Our three nights will be a fond memory. Service and attitude was top notch.

The only thing that I would recommend is to update the lobby entrance, returning the beams to earthy wood tones to match the mountain surroundings.

Room Tip: Room 298 at the end of the hall was very good.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, May 6, 2014

New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed here for two nights attending a convention. Other than the long lines upon arrival for check in, this place was great. They had four conventions going on at one time. You would of never known it, this place is large and comfortable. Very impressed with the room and the bedding, I even got an inquiry from housekeeping to ask if my room had been cleaned well. The view and balcony were a plus. They have a nice spa and racquet center attached that others raved about and I didn't get to use. The food was pretty darn good too, for fixing food for 100's they managed to make it tasty, glad we're going back in two years!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Spring Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ended up booking a room here the day before we arrived since we had to cancel our original plans due to flooding in that area. We booked through priceline and I had thought we got a great deal until we arrived. It was our 2nd anniversary and we were stuck in a room with two double beds...which was problem one. You can tell they tried to update this hotel room but the updates themselves with regards to the quality were one of the worst I have ever seen. The housekeeping does a very good job cleaning the rooms but to have crown molding hanging off the wall, cut and hung poorly and the bathroom....the shower tile grout needs to be fixed, the bathroom wallpaper needs to be removed or repaired in several areas, the sinks "mock" cabinet is a joke. Sand it down and repaint it. The bottom line is this hotel should not be branded as a crown plaza. I think a hotels manager should be responsible and ensure that the company they hire to do upgrades meet the standards of what a crown plaza hotel should be. There are so many details in the bathroom that were unacceptable in my eyes and the elevator we had to take looked like a run down service elevator. The staff seemed friendly other than Lori who seemed to have a bit of an attitude with another customer. We will not stay here again nor do we recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 0501MVKG
Thank you for contacting us concerning your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort.
We strive to have the finest in guest service and accommodations; therefore, the guest experience is of the utmost importance to us. An intimate and objective knowledge of how we are doing – in the consumer’s eyes – is critical in moving Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort to a higher level of service.
A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests and because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.
I do apologize that your stay with us was marred by this recent experience. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to give you a great stay with us in the future.
Best Regards,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Very stately resort with all the amenities-Spa, Zip lining, shuttles to downtown, restaurant, well maintained with southern hospitality. Most room have balconies with seating areas. HD TV's in the rooms and they are spacious and nicely furnished.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, May 3, 2014