“Cheap price, great service, unsatisfactory rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Cheap price, great service, unsatisfactory rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I booked this on Hotwire for a really good rate of $70/night for the weekend. I was expecting something within walking distance to downtown judging off the hotwire map but this place is across the river and about a 10 minute drive.

Charles checked us in and he was very attentive and practiced great customer service. The lobby, bar, and other common areas were very nice. However, when we got to our room it was a different story. The accommodations were satisfactory, but I was expecting much more out of a Crowne Plaza brand.

The room had a bit of a musty/been smoked in smell and the bathroom was extremely small. The beds were double, not queen, and the heater made a tremendous amount of racket.

Overall, I was expecting a much more luxorious hotel just because of the brand name. Instead I got a run of the mill hotel with no pizzazz. The price was right and couldn't be argued with;however, if I had paid full rate for this hotel I would have come away very disappointed.

1 Thank stevenshom
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I sincerely regret that we have missed the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations, but I can assure you that we will address every point you have mentioned with our staff using your feedback as a learning opportunity. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.

Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort – 1 Resort Drive, Asheville, NC 28806

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Rooms were old but had been renovated and bathrooms were small. Wasn't worth paying a lot for. Good for one night but cramped if staying longer. Looks like it might be better in summer as there were a of of outside activities to do. They did offer a shuttle for downtown though which was nice. Room views were of the parking lot and I am glad we weren't on the first floor because the balconies opened up to the parking lot.

1 Thank myboo123
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, January 26, 2014

Carneys Point, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Location: Good location just off the highway on the West Side of the river. The only real drawback is if you want to go downtown, you have to drive or take a shuttle for $5. If you are going to Asheville you will want to go downtown!!!!

Appearance: Clean inside and out. Room was in good shape. This is an older hotel, but well kept.

General Up-Keep: In good condition in all the areas I visited.

Workout room: Did not use…… but looked like your basics
Restaurant: There is a bar and restaurant. Both have the same menu and I have to say the menu is very up to date with the latest trends. For my vegan diet, there were plenty of choices. Not I should of eaten them but the cross cut sweet potato fries were great!

Room: Room was in very good condition and clean. Again, being an older hotel some items showed wear or patching, but room was clean.

Overall Report: This place is big and has plenty to do onsite. It is a true resort and good place to get away. If you don’t have a car to travel downtown, I would stay at one of the downtown hotels. Asheville is a great town and one of my top 3 places I like to stop while traveling for work.

Would I come back: Yes

Would I bring my wife and family: Yes

Reason for this trip: Business

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. I sincerely hope that you will plan your next trip with us so we can provide you with another great stay in the future. Once again, thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Tennis & Golf Resort and we appreciate your feedback.
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Checked in on Saturday the January the 18th. Pricelined room for $167 (including taxes.) We checked in with a super flustered lady, we were pleasant and spoke slowly to attempt to calm her down as we were the only guests checking in. We asked about the pool and she didn't let us finish our question before informing us that both pools were closed and so was the golf course but she wasn't sure if the zipline was closed yet - in a very negative manor. No worries, we were here to visit the Biltmore. We went to our room and please see the attached pictures to see why we checked out immediately. What I didn't get a picture of was a door was open on the way to the room and a housekeeper in uniform was having some sort of party with her several small children while the room was being cleaned. This hotel is very overrated at 3.5 stars and I do understand why the front desk woman was so unpleasant as she must have to deal with very unhappy guests all day.

Room Tip: "all of the rooms are the same" - front desk
3 Thank CaptCaribbean

Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Not a bad place to stay, just not quite as advertised. I read somewhere on the website that each room had a private balcony(True) with a great view of either Downtown Asheville or the sorrounding Mtns(Not True). We had a fabulous view of the parking lot, a row of trees, and a glimpse of interstate.

Room was clean. Temp was difficult to control, seemed to run at very hot or cool. Never found the "warm" we were seeking. Turned the unit off and on repeatedly during the evening and nght.

Hallways were a bit noisy, especially in the evening. Not so much in the morning, but maybe that was because we were the only people up at 6 a.m.

We made plans to come to Asheville literally 36hrs before we arrived, so our choices of places to stay were very limited. Would come back here again in the same situation. It is a perfectly acceptable hotel.

Room Tip: Inquire about free included breakfast when making your reservation. Read many reviews that said it w...

bichonandon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I was surprised to read all of the reviews by customers who received free breakfast along with the price of their rooms, which were MUCH less than we paid. Wish I would have gotten that deal.

We paid over $200/night but no free breakfast, as it turns out. We were okay with the no free breakfast when we learned of it upon check-in. A detail we overlooked, relying on reviews to provide most of the information. Since it was our anniversary, and a special occasion, we decided we'd find fun places in Asheville to eat breakfast.

Check-in was easy and fast, the desk agent friendly. That was a relief, since we had just driven 5 hours in constant rain. We deposited our items in the room, and rushed out to make our scheduled evening Biltmore tour time slot.

We arrived back to our room at around midnight, to find BUGS crawling around. A cursory look revealed 5 bugs crawling on the ceiling and walls, which my husband caught in a cup while I called the desk. They sent up a different room key card, and we packed up and relocated. I took a quick shower, my husband fell asleep, and just as I was getting into bed, about to turn off the lamp, I almost screamed from almost touching another BUG ON THE LAMP! Yes, this room had some bugs crawling on the ceiling too, but would it be worth moving again? Chances were, there would be more bugs in the next room, and we were too tired to move again. Otherwise, the rooms were clean with all the amenities one would expect.

Someone from the staff slipped a note with some complimentary breakfast vouchers. We used the breakfast vouchers, and if we would have made the mistake of eating breakfast there without using them, the self-serve continental type of fare would have cost us $24 for each day. Also, if you are interested in the omelette, make sure you be very clear if you want your eggs done. Both days, my omelette was raw inside.

I gave an "average" rating because I understand bugs sometimes get in despite their best efforts, and also because they at least acknowledged the inconvenience by those vouchers, but I can't help but be slightly disappointed that in the end, we paid for rooms that were definitely not worth the price. We will return to Asheville in the spring to visit the Biltmore again, and will definitely stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bichonandon
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, January 11, 2014

Loveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed in the Villas at the Crowne Resort for three nights.The unit was clean, the rate was good for a 2 bedroom villa. We could have used a few more bowls and glasses. Although some of the villas had updated counter tops we did not. There was a t.v. in every room which my family liked. Overall, it was fine.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shannon M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, January 8, 2014