“Needs a renovation in many ways”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
“Needs a renovation in many ways”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The word "resort" must apply to the sprawling, beautiful grounds of the property only. The Spa was cramped, outdated, fully booked for a week solid (too bad, this was the reason we booked) and full of rude employees. The hotel must have the same carpet throughout that it had in 1970. The only thing updated since 1970 were obviously the beds and linens which are very nice and luxurious. Our "kitchenette" had no fridge, or anything resembling a kitchen at all. The "5 minute walk to town" boasted by the hotel website- to walk to Asheville you would need to cross two highways (with no sidewalks?) and hike about a mile uphill. Blatantly not possible. There is however, a great shuttle service. The power went out in west Asheville during our stay. Now, that is not the hotels fault. However. The backup generator took 45 minutes to kick on, so the sold out 'resort' was pitch black for almost an hour. The generator left all guest rooms with no electricity whatsoever, and little to no light in hallways. When panicked guests needing outlets and say, a light in there room, approached the desk, they were belittled and given no information. The sliding door to our balcony was scratched and old, the tracks were broken, there was no screen. And our room was a 6 minute walk from the front desk, with seemingly no working elevators in the building. The best part about our stay was the wonderful gentleman making omelets at the breakfast buffet, and the free bottled water. Save your money and stay somewhere that has been given a fresh coat of paint in the past 30 years

• Stayed March 2013
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us and I'm so glad that you enjoyed our wonderful breakfat buffet and in particular our omelette chef. Truthfully I was a bit taken back at first with some of your comments thinking that the review must have been from a different property, so I want to clarify a few statements, so future guests will understand what to expect. First, I'd like to let folks know that our 8,000 square foot fitness complex which houses our Adelaide Spa as well as all the carpeting in the common areas/meeting rooms of the property are less than 2 years old with the Spa in particular having a very modern decor with excellent services and staff. I apologize that they weren't able squeeze a booking in for you that particular weekend and I'm encouraging my reservationists to suggest that people book their treatments at the time of the room reservation, as they tend to get extremely busy at the Spa each weekend. All of the carpeting in the guest rooms and hallways are set to be replaced either late this year or early 2014 in accordance with the Crowne Plaza brand standards which will look great beside our existing new carpet. I'm still searching online for any site representing our property that boasts "kitchenettes" in the rooms or the fact that we are a "5 minute walk to downtown" without any luck, but if you'd be willing to call me directly at 828-285-2607 I'd be happy to look into your claim and find out how I can prevent any confusion going forward. We do provide mini fridges in each of our guest rooms, coffee pots, and microwaves on request but only have one suite which has a legitimate kitchen. FInally, I just want to truly thank you for your patience during the power outage that knocked out electricity in the Western portion of Asheville due to a car accident. It was quite a challlenging experience for our guests and staff alike but I thank you for offering suggestions for improvement. Even though the back up generator took 20 minutes to get limited power to the building it is designed to kick start immediatly after the power goes out and we have an open investigation concerning this issue so it will not happen again. I was actually called in from home to assist with the incident and was at the front desk assisting guests with checking in and answering questions for the duration of the outage. We didnt' get any information from Progress Energy until about an hour into the ordeal concerning the cause of the issue, and I apologize that we weren't able to provide any details concerning the problem when you came to the desk. Even though we have flashlights at the front desk for staff to escort guests to and from their guest rooms, we just don't have the ability to provide lanterns or flashlights to the hundreds of guests we had in house at the time. I'm truly sorry that we could not do more to cater to your needs and questions during the 2 hour ordeal but I thank you for sharing your experience. I honestly hope you can return to our property in the future and give us another opportunity to wow you with your amazing staff and ammenities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
North Carolina
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I visited Asheville this past weekend with my brother and his wife to celebrate his birthday. I have to admit we were a little nervous about staying at the Crowne Plaza after reading some of the reviews. I don't know the place they were describing as our rooms were up to date, clean, and comfortable. I am very picky about beds and pillows and these were superb - I slept like a baby both nights. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that the walls are kind of thin. We could hear the baby in the next room early in the morning.

The staff was very welcoming and pleasant. When they found out we were traveling with another couple, they switched our rooms so we could be close to each other. I would also recommend taking their shuttle to downtown as it only costs $5 roundtrip. You don't have to worry about parking downtown or how much you had to drink. And they were very prompt to pick us up when we called.

The grounds are beautiful. My husband and I took a pleasant walk around the grounds and then relaxed in the rocking chairs on the front porch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your outsanding review and I'm so glad that we were able to create a memorable birthday weekend for you and your friends! I'm happy you were able to take advantage of some of our great ammenities such as the downtown shuttle, and hope you can return for a visit in the very near future. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza last week for a couple nights on a business trip. The rooms were clean and quiet. Service at the front desk was cordial. The facilities were nice. They had an excellent exercise facility which is very important to me. I can't speak to value but it's probably a little overpriced. I wouldn't hesitate going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank esvajosh
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your feedback and I am so glad that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. Our service and amenities are two of our strongest selling points and I appreciate you highlighting these areas as important parts of your experience here. Cant wait to have you back on your next visit to our area!
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked our two day stay 60 days in advance on Hotels.com. We specifically booked a non smoking king room. At check in the hotel was less than 40% occupied yet they had no king rooms for us. After review with the front office manager they found one at a $15/ night up charge. Needless to say I found this unacceptable and after additional consideration the hotel agreed. However we were charged by the hotel and Hotels.com both so we had to spend time with management getting this resolved. I then found a $50 charge to my credit card as if it were a debit card...which it wasn't I haven't yet seen the credit for the $50 but expect to.
The room was clean and comfortable and the staff helpful for the most part. I would give the accommodation a four star rating had it not been for the mix up upon check in.
Morris and Marilyn

Room Tip: Make sure you know how to find it. We spent 30minutes with our GPS taking us around in circles prio...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Morris C
Thank you for your feedback and I am really glad you enjoyed your stay once we got the details of your reservation sorted out. Most third party booking outlets such as Priceline or Hotels.com offer steep discounts on occassions but never guarantee any room type. This can be very misleading for our mutual customers and I apologize if you felt you were mislead by the website you booked through. Even though you had not reserved a King size bed I'm glad my evening manager was able to accomodate your request for an upgrade due to your Priority Club status. A tip for all future travlelers...Do not trust your GPS or online directions for getting to our property! Please refer to www.ashevillecp.com for accurate turn by turn directions and it will make your lives much easier. Old software and ever changing traffic patterns can make it a bit tricky if you rely on a GPS!
Pfafftown, NC
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We enjoyed a 2 night stay here. The front desk staff were very accomodating when I explained we were meeting in-laws for the weekend and they were able to switch some rooms around and get us rooms acroos the hall. All of the staff we interacted with were very pleasant and willing to do whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable. The breakfast buffet, while a litle pricy, was very good. The rooms were decent. Nothing fancy, but nothing wrong either. Overall a very nice place for a weekend getaway. A little updating and it could earn an excellent rating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our Resort, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I love hearing great feedback about our staff, as we strive in all departments to stay one step ahead of our guests needs to provide a memorable stay at our property. Thank you for your comments, and we look forward to serving you on your next trip to Asheville.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I agree with some others who said they were disappointed with regards to the room and service.
The lobby and surrounding areas are kept nice, probably upgraded / renovated etc., nice Gym, Pools, Tennis courts etc., all amenities are good. However, rooms are very old with old beds and not comfortable beds. Actually in the 1st room toilet did not flush, so, they moved us to the adjacent room. The heater in our room sometimes blows very hot air and sometimes very cold air. The 1st night it got very very hot and the second night it got very very cold. obviously it was a primitive system. I requested room service and had to remind them after an hr. our bed was nt comfortable. Comforter looked like a thick plastic sheet , we din't like it , its not comfortable.
and we were here for the chess tournament and we got discounted rate in the $90s and its not worth it.

Room Tip: If you must stay here ask for a room with a good heater / cooler system and nice comfortable beds
2 Thank RP_INDIA_USA
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
PLEASE come and speak with me before your check out today ( I am here until 5 pm). I don't understand how venting your frustrations online while still at a hotel/restaurant would possilby make your experience better, but luckily I check Trip Advisor on a regular basis and will hopefully be able to speak with you prior to your departure. A lot of your comments are based on personal preference such as the mattress comfort, new Crowne Plaza standard duvet, and the fact that you had to move rooms. I believe we offered to plunge the toilet for you initially, but you decided it would be more convenient to switch rooms. I do agree that having to wait an hour for room service is a bit long, and I will bring up the timeliness of their services at our next manager's meeting. Thank you again for your comments, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay if I dont' get to speak with you.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We enjoyed an overnight stay here while in town for an event. It was a nice hotel with great friendly staff. The rooms showed some aging, but it was clean and well kept. I actually loved all the towel bars int he bath room area---hard to find in renovated hotels!

We ate breakfast in the hotel dining area. The chef was great at helping me assess the safety of the foods on the buffet for my daughter and I. He made me an omelet from fresh eggs so I could eat safely. Great service and very helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you so much for providing your feedback and I am delighted that we were able to WOW you with our service. I will be sure to pass along your comments regarding the room cleanliness and excellent restaurant service to the appropriate managers. Be sure to come again on your next visit to Asheville!