“Aged but decent”

Ranked #42 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
London, United Kingdom
“Aged but decent”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Took a long while to have our rooms ready... well after checking time... their hair stylist was away on vacation too so i stayed looking scruffy but the location, just outside of downtown, is great, they have tons of amenities including a bunch of tennis courts and pools, nice lobby eatery and relaxing areas, ambient fireplace to welcome you and ample parking. The service is not all that but you are not paying all that much money to stay here either... The rooms are aged and in need of a refurb but spacious and they have free inroom internet... When it rained I was woken up at 3 in the morning by water dripping onto my room, very annoying! Plenty of tv channels and you even get a microwave in the room... a/c units are noisy too but don't keep you up.

Asheville is a stunning little place, like a mini san francisco with its trendy artsy shops and alternative people.

Room Tip: Stayed in 571 and 570... 571 has dripping noises when raining.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LUXTRVLXPERT
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you very much for providing a review concerning your stay and I am so glad that you enjoyed the Asheville area as well as some of our excellent ammenities. With regards to the speed of getting in to your rooms, our check-in time is 4:00 pm and after checking our records, noticed that one of your rooms checked in at 3:30 pm and the other at 4:01 pm. I apologize that we were not able to get both rooms available to you for an earlier check in. I appreciate you bringing to our attention the issue with the leak in your room, as engineering was able to get into the room immediatly after you departed and get the problem resolved. It sounds as if you had a great experience both at our Resort as well as in the area, and we look forward to having you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed December 21, 2012

First, I must say, the service was OUTSTANDING! We were taken care of by Bill & Sergio who were both kind, helpful & very welcoming. We booked a Deluxe King through hotels.com. Our room was on the 5th floor, immaculately clean and smelled fresh when we opened the door. Other reviewers griped about the size of the bathrooms. Yes, they are small, but we did not visit Asheville to spend our time hanging out in our hotel bath! The bath was clean,had ample towels and nice shampoo/soap/lotion. We ordered room service our first morning which was very good, prompt and large portions! The morning of our departure we ate the buffet. It was very good as well. Lots of selections and very courteous service. Well worth it. The bed was comfy! We didn't have time to take advantage of the amenities offered, but there were lots of guests doing so.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Strawberry C
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
What great feedback! The level of quality and service you mentioned is what we strive for with every single one of our guests, and I am so glad that we were able to make your trip to Asheville a success. I will be happy to share your comments with Bill and Sergio in particular, and will be sure to commend the housekeeping/restaurant staff during our next staff meeting for a job well done. Thank you so much for your review.
Chicago
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Nice hotel, good location and close to Earth Fare grocery store. They have a shuttle to downtown for only $5 per person which was convenient. I used the fitness center and that was very nice. Older hotel but clean and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time out of your busy holiday season to share your comments and I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our great location as well as some of our unique amenities. On your next trip to this area you will have to give our new Tree Top Adventure Park a try! Again, thank you for your review and compliments.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Very neat hotel. Slightly dated, but extremely scenic views. Breakfast was really good and the hotel bar is really nice. My balcony overlooked the golf course and provided for great views.

Asheville is worth a visit. I'd strongly consider this property again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your excellent review and I am so glad that you had a great time both at our Resort, and in Asheville as a whole. I will be sure to pass along your compliments concerning the bar/restaurant to the appropriate managers, and I am glad that the front desk was able to provide you with that perfect room for your vacation. Can't wait to have you back the next time you are in Asheville!
Grimsley
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Booked via price line....treated very poorly at front desk by a very condescending agent named David. Extra charge for anything but the basic 2 queens. Rooms were clean, kudos to the cleaning staff and housekeeping. Reminded me of a 1975 Howard Johnson's.....small baths, carpet coming up in the corners...they have tried, but it is still a tired property. The bed was however very nice and comfy. There are much better local choices for your money. It is not a 3 1/2 star as they claim.

Room Tip: Go elswhere
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am very sorry you had such a dissapointing stay recently, but appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding our amazing beds and housekeeping staff. David is a very mild mannered front desk agent who I have never once heard use a rude or condescending tone. With that being said, I am not suggesting that anybody including myself is perfect all the time, or that you would provide inaccurate information within your review, I just hope that your comments were not due to the fact that he followed policy with regards to the $15 room type upgrade. Regardless, I will be monitoring his actions for the next few weeks to make sure he is providing the great customer service I know he is capable of. I also want to clarify that hotels do not provide their own star ratings (3 star, 4 star, etc). Most hotels are rated based soley on guest reviews (Trip Advisor), but with some websites, factors such as amenities, location, and recent rennovations also play a role. I hope that when you return to Asheville you will give us another chance to serve you.
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel while we were
In town for a wedding. The price was a value compared to other hotels in the area, but it is really basic. Looks like a converted 1960s-70s hotel. The good news is it was very clean. Probably not somewhere my husband and I would book again. Spend the extra $ and go somewhere nicer if you have the $ to spend.

• Stayed December 2012
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
I apologize that your experience was just OK at our Resort, as we strive to create more of a WOW experience for our guests. We are a rennovated Hilton property from the 1970's as you mentioned, and I appreciate your feedback regarding our cleanliness as this is a top priority for any hotel. Some of our amenities that set us apart from the competition and other basic hotels are as follows...8,000 square foot fitness complex, full service spa, 20 tennis courts, 9 hole golf course, 3 pools (2 outdoor and 1 indoor), on property zip line course, tree top adventure park, free wifi, and a $5/person roundtrip shuttle to downtown 24 hours a day. I know that when attending a wedding out of town it is sometimes difficult to experience everything a Resort or city has to offer, and I encourage you to give the Crowne Plaza as well as Asheville another try in the future when you have more time to relax. Thank you for your time and providing your feedback.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Although I think they try, this is clearly a refurbished motel. The lobby and restaurant area is nice and didn't venture to any resort activities but the actual rooms were below par. Thankfully we were not on the first floor (otherwise I would have complained). If you were on the first floor you can expect to have a room with sliding glass doors that look at the parking lot and when someone pulls in our out of a space shining right into your room. The hotel hallway was literally 95 degrees, we joked it felt like a sauna. The hallways, rooms, decor etc. was dated and gave the impression of not clean. They did try to update things with granite countertops but it was not enough. The in-room heating unit made it so incredibly dry in the room it was miserable. Finally, what topped it all of is that the room made my boyfriend’s allergies go crazy. I don't usually have allergy issues but this room definitely got to me. Our trip to Asheville was wonderful but this was the definite bummer in our trip. I would not recommend it, at all!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I'm very sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at our Resort, and I apologize that it put a damper on your trip to Asheville. Though this property has been a Hilton and Holiday Inn Resort in years past, we have not, and will never be a Motel. All of our rooms are accessible from the inside exclusively, and only 30 out of our 90 1st floor rooms face the parking lot. The other 60 rooms face either our pool area or golf course. Some guests love having their vehicle so close to their room, but others such as yourself would rather have a little more distance. I can understand your concern with the warmth of the hallways this time of year. With it being in the 30's in the evenings, but getting up to the 70's during the day, it can quite a challange to regulate the temperature to make everyone comfortable. Our wide variety of amenitities and resort activities is what really sets us apart of the competition, and I feel if you would have had the chance to take advantage of some of our offerings, you may have left with a more positive impression of our property. Hopefully you can give us another chance in the future.