“Great Anniversary Weekend Getaway”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Mount Airy, North Carolina
“Great Anniversary Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 15th Wedding Anniversary this year and went to Asheville for the weekend. Since we wanted to do different things in Asheville and not be in one certain area, Crowne Plaza, looked to be the best as far as location and value.

We had no complaints about our stay at all. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly. We even had a staff personnel come by to make sure our room was to our satisfaction.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
I'm so glad that we were able to be a part of such a special anniversary for you and your husband. We pride ourselves on our great location and outstanding staff, and I'm glad that you were able to appreciate both of these aspects of the Resort experience. Hopefully you will make a return trip for your 16th anniversary if not before. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Concord, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Since moving to NC I have found that most of my visitors want to go to Asheville and since I love it so much I have been staying at different places each time to see where I can get the most value for my money! Crowne Plaza offered it all! Absolutely gorgeous inside and out, swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, great rooms, and 2 wonderful places to eat! Everyone treated us great and I am excited to go back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments, and I hope that you and your visitors can make many more trips to this great area of North Carolina. I appreciate your great feedback with regards to our amenities as well as our staff, and can't wait to have you back for another visit. All four seasons have something different to offer and I encourage you to try them all!
Bahamas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Although I cannot comment on value-for-price (we were part of a wedding party, so our room was discounted), I can say that the stay is comfortable, staff very helpful, and overall facilities offer more than your regular hotel.

Everything I'm about to say has been previously mentioned by other reviewers, but I'll go through it again:
PROS: Beds are comfortable, room spacious, coffee maker in room with ceramic mugs (not paper), walking trails and other amenities for active guests (nice gym, tennis courts, etc), pretty decor in the lobby.Breakfast was pretty good as well with a number of choices. Though we did not get to use it, the bar area looked very nice and inviting as well.
CONS: The bathroom, though clean is extremely small. Our bathroom at home is small, so when I travel I like to experience a larger bathroom. This is the first time I've been in a hotel where the bathroom was actually smaller than ours. It's a one-person-at- a-time bathroom - a second person could not even squeeze in if they tried. You have enough room just to open the door and step in. Also, if given the choice, I would prefer a hotel closer to the downtown area. However, the hotel does run shuttles to downtown quite often, so if you prefer to stay somewhere to enjoy the outdoor amenities, then this may not bother you.

My last comment is that this hotel is much larger than what we usually prefer as we tend to stay in bed and breakfasts. However, I can see its appeal to some who may be looking for a hotel near, but not in the city.

Room Tip: The first floor tends to be noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
I appreciate your comments and like the fact that you provided some very positive aspects of your stay as well as some ways we can improve. Our bathrooms, though rennovated are a bit on the small side compared to newer hotels, but still retain a clean modern feel to them. There are several very nice hotels in downtown Asheville, however we enjoy just a little bit of seperation from the hustle and bustle. Our strength is that we can price ourselves lower per night than any of our downtown competitors while offering amenities that you cannot find anywhere in Asheville. Our shuttle as you mentioned is a great way to get back and forth to downtown and departs every half hour from the hotel lobby. Thank you your time in providing this review.
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed November 1, 2012

the price of the room was not worth it. I have stayed in hotels that cost 1/2 as much and were twice as nice. No microwave, crown modeling even looked bad and you have to pay for breakfast not worth it at all!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I am sorry that you did not find the value in the multitude of amenities we have to offer or the courtesy of our fantastic staff. Though we are an older property that has undergone major rennovations throughout the years, we pride ourselves on the vast array of activities to keep you busy during your stay with us. 90% of our amenities are absolutly free with the only things requiring a fee are our spa, golf course, indoor tennis courts (outdoor are free), zip line course, and tree top adventure park. Everything else, including parking and Wifi are free of charge and I feel that this really adds to the value of our Resort. We offer some great off season rates January-March and would love to have you give us another try in the future. Thank you for your time.
East Coast
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This property sounds wonderful--resort amenities, location near downtown etc, but falls short through no fault of the current staff. The main problem is the way the rooms were sited when originally built--they all have balconies that, mostly, look out on parking lots. Which is ridiculous given its scenic location. And where you need to park is miles (MILES!) from almost every room. Even the front unload area is quite far from a number of rooms. That said, the interior is attractive, though older, and the room decor is updated, with comfortable mattresses and above-average bedding. The elevator to my wing was comically tiny, especially for guests with luggage, but did run reasonably fast. The swimming pools, racquet ball center etc are quite a distance from most of the rooms, fyi--not great with small children. During my stay there were not enough parking spaces for all. The "business center" was a tiny room with three computers and one printer (definitely not adequate for a property of this size). Staff were wonderful, friendly and accommodating, the room was clean, and room service meal was good, though the menu was a bit limited as compared with other similar hotels. The hotel offers a shuttle to downtown, which is a great convenience ($5 charge per person). Overall, this property is definitely not worth rack rate, and is only great to just get a night's sleep. Or pay to use the amenities (golf, racqet club etc) and stay someplace cheaper or with a better view.

Room Tip: Only rooms not overlooking a parking lot or playground are those on the east side of Building D, whi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am very sorry that you were so underwhelmed with our Resort, but I thank you for providing your feedback so we can improve. Though we have 550 parking spaces for just 272 rooms, I can understand your frustration with not being able to park as close to your room as you would like. We have 6 entrances for our 3 wings of sleeping rooms (less than half face the parking areas and even some of these get you a downtown skyline view) and we encourage our guests to park as close as possible to their particular entrance to make things more convienient for unloading bags. Sometimes during peak weekends parking right outside of your entrance can be a challange, but we always have bellmen on duty to assist with luggage if neccessary. I appreciate all of your positive comments, especially regarding our staff and I hope you can come back again in the future to take advantage of many of our free amenities that you might not have encountered on your recent trip. We are always happy to shuttle you anywhere on our 125 acre property free of charge. Just ask!
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Pros: Comfortable beds, good location, nice property. We had minimal staff interaction, but what we did have, they were friendly. Very clean.

Cons: Old hotel (popcorn ceilings old). You can hear EVERY SINGLE THING happening in the hallway and neighboring rooms, including them unlocking their doors. Our tv had mostly fuzzy channels. They could be watched, just had fuzzy lines. And the remote didn't work well. This may not be the case in other rooms, though.

Summary: We had a perfectly decent stay. I was a bit disappointed in how old the room was, but the comfy bed made up for it. And, it's apparent they have tried to make updates without doing major renovations. There is a flat screen TV, the bathroom counters are a granite looking surface (though small). We had no major issues. Did hate hearing every sound in other rooms and the hallway, though. Still, it served its purpose perfectly and was close to what we were doing. So, this review being less than "very good" is mostly due to the hotel being rather old for the money ($163) and little things that were kind of "oh, that sucks," but not any major problems we had.

• Stayed October 2012
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I really like your "Pros", "Cons" and "Summary" format for providing feedback. I feel like it really makes it easy for the hotel as well as future travelers to understand. Of course I wish there was a few less of the "Cons" but I appreciate you bringing those things to our attention here at the hotel level. As I mentoined on a previous review from another guest who stayed with us the same weekend you were here, we did discover that the TV issue stemmed from a Charter Cable problem, and has been fixed since your departure. I can totally understand your issue with the noise between rooms, and I apologize that this put a damper on your stay. If you are ever in Asheville in the future, I encourage you to give us another shot so we can try to provide a great stay as opposed to just a good stay.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The room was really large and the bed was really comfy. There is FREE wireless (which is rare oddly enough). People were also nice.

Other than those few things, nothing was really exceptional. The TV was just plugged into the cable outlet in the wall... so you have to flip through static channel to get to actual channels and it was picking up over the air HD channels. Typically there is a cable box with the hotel's own programming too.

The room itself and the guest wings could use to be updated. They were really nice at one point, but they could use to be refreshed. Room 102 faces the wall of another building and it must be near the laundry facilities because there is lint all over the grass outside the patio (which makes me not want to go out on the patio).

I did the breakfast buffet the first day. It is attempted to be a little classy (hostess to seat you and the omlete/waffle bar is where you have to get your eggs even if you just want them scrambled) but it would be better suited to do away with the hostess and have a tin of eggs as there always seems to be a line at either place. Also, the food was just eh. I think the sausage made my stomach upset all day.

The location is great though. Very close to downtown Asheville and sits up above the surroundings. It was just not typically what I would expect from a Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Try to get the highest level, odd numbered room that is lower in numbers: Lower numbers (1-50) are...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback concerning your most recent stay with us, and I appreciate your positive as well as constructive comments. First of all, thank you for your positive feedback in regards to our amazing staff, free Wifi, location, and our extra comfy Simmons Beauty Rest beds. The TV reception issues you faced was brought to our attention by other guests the same weekend you were with us, and we had Charter Cable come out and replace our system the following day to ensure that this will not cause problems for our future guests. Though I haven't had anyone complain about lint near room 102, it is close to our underground laundry facility and I will have our engineering department look into alternatives to make this area cleaner. I can understand how two different lines at the breakfast buffet can be frustrating, and we are always looking to improve our services, especially at very busy peak times of the morning. I know that they have scrambled eggs on the buffet, and are able to cook eggs in the kitchen if ordered off the a la carte menu. Overall, I am sorry that we could not provide a more memorable visit to our property, and I hope you can give us another shot in the future.