“Very Nice!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very Nice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza for business and I couldn't have been happier with this hotel. The people at the front desk are very friendly and made checking in quite pleasant. My room was on the 5th floor with a view of the mountains. It was extreemly clean and spacious with a balcony. This is a great place to stay in Asheville

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I'm so glad that we were able to "wow" you with our service from check in to check out, and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. We continue to maintain that we are one of the hidden gems of Asheville, and I am so glad you were able to appreciate what we have to offer. Thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel with a conference. It was very comfortable & we really enjoyed being able to have access to a balcony with fresh air. Loved the rocking chairs on the front porch also. Certainly like having free wifi in hotels and this one didn't disappoint either. My only gripe was the noise of the ice maker near to our room - would be great if these machines have their own space, away from sleeping quarters.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of our property, and I am glad that you enjoyed so many aspects of your time with us. I can undestand your comment about the noise of the ice machine, as it is always a fine line between being close enough for convience, but far enough away to prohibit noise. Thank you again for your comments, and I hope you can return again for business or leisure in the near future!
Hot Springs, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

As a Crown Plaza this hotel seems dated from the Tiny Elevators to the wear in the rooms.I stayed for a convention on site otherwise dont think i would stay here. The staff is very friendly and helpful but any Holiday Inn Express will be nicer and less expensive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I apologize that we could not live up to your expectations with regards to the elevators and rooms in particular, and I am very sorry that this created a negative impact on your experience with us. Though we have an older property that has been rennovated throughout the years, we are always looking to improve our product, and due to newly revised Crowne Plaza standards, these improvements wil continue over the coming years. Our staff as you mentioned is always a great asset to our Resort, and I appreciate your feedback in this area. I agree with your statement that a Holiday Inn Expess would come at a lower rate, but being a full service resort with 125 acres, 8,000 fitness complex, golf course, spa, zip line course, etc. is what keeps us competitive with other Resorts in our area, and our rates a bit higher than some hotel chains. Thank you again for your review.
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

My sister and I take a trip together each year, and this year was to the Biltmore. We were told when we arrived that check-in wasn't until 4pm but were able to check into our room early anyway. The room was nice and very clean--we loved that there is coffee in the room. Tammy at the front desk was very helpful, informing us of sights to see, explaining Biltmore activities, shuttles, etc. Food was good in the hotel restaurant, especially breakfast (made-to-order omelettes and Belgian waffles, and buffet). We also appreciated the help from our concierge Marilyn--she gave us a rundown of happenings in downtown, told us the best restaurants (we took her suggestion and ate at the Strada--delicious), and printed out our boarding passes for our return flight home. We used the gym facilities and had a good workout; also walked the path around the hotel grounds.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review of our Resort, and I am so glad that you had such an enjoyable trip to Asheville with your sister! I appreciate that you were able to pinpoint specific staff members that went above and beyond the call of duty, and I will be sure to pass along your comments to both Tammy and Marilynn. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again for next year's "Sisters Trip".
cornelia, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband was scheduled to attend a conference at the CPR on September 20 and 21 and I tagged along to keep him company. We have been to many conferences over the years, in many different settings. .. from the sublime to the nightmarish. We paid the conference rate of $99 a night. I had read the rather mixed reviews on Tripadvisor prior to our stay so my expectations were in the range of 'I'll make the best of it'. As it turned out, I didn't have to. The property gives the impression of being isolated although it is only a mile from the humdrum of downtown Asheville and I appreciated that. It was conducive to a leisurely (or maybe not so leisurely if you are so inclined) walk after breakfast or in the evening to wind down. The staff was friendly and helpful and those individuals I interacted with were anything but indifferent. They seemed industrious and happy to be of assistance. Our room was very nice and impeccably cleaned. Sheets and towels were blindingly white and crisp and all manners of potions and lotions were supplied in the room. I especially enjoyed the shaving/makeup mirror in the bathroom and told my husband I wanted one for home. We had their 'express' room service breakfast one morning and it came right on time and no detail was overlooked in the preparation of the tray. I noted the fresh flowers on the library tables in the corridors and in the public bathrooms and felt they were a sweet touch. When we return to Asheville, which we will as it is only a two hour drive from our home, we will be staying at the Crown Plaza Resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank annacate
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback, and I appreciate your rave review. I'm so glad you were pleased with the little details such as the fresh flowers we have around the resort, and of course we are always thrilled to get such great comments of our staff. Can't wait to have you back on your next trip to Asheville.
Valdese, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Full disclosure I stayed here as a spouse with my wife who was on a business trip. I do not play golf or tennis.

This resort is really a nice motel and it somewhat shows its age. Check-in time is 4:00 pm rather late in my experience. The waiting line to check-in was long and there was no one at the priority check-in desk. The distance from the lobby to most rooms is quite a walk. Driving and parking at the entrance closest to your room is advised. That entrance takes you into a narrow, undecorated hallway which looks like it is taking you to a basement.

The room was clean, furnished like a motel not a “resort” with a tiny bathroom. The free wi-fi in the room was so incredibly slow as to be useless at times. The rug had a burn from an iron and one of the lamp shades was cracked. The switches on the bases of the lamps were very difficult to operate. The walls, must less the doors, were so thin that normal conversations in adjoining rooms or in the hallway was easily overheard. The TV listing was, strangely, neither in numerical (channel) order or alphabetical, nor did the TV show all the channels listed. Periodically the telephone in the room would ring twice with no one there.

While there are vending machines, they do not take credit cards so make sure you have dollar bills. There is no shop at the hotel if you wish to buy a magazine, etc.

Having been told on check-in that as a priority member we were entitled to a 15% discount on food in the restaurants, we discovered on check-out that you had to tell the wait staff at each meal, something they failed to tell us on check-in. The hotel did give us the discount. There are two restaurants: one for fine dining, and a pub. The menu is basically the same at both, as are the prices. The wait staff was, for the most part, indifferent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cat-TL++
A motel is defined as a lodging establishment most often utlized by travelers due to the convienence of parking in front of your room and being able to enter ones room directly from the outside. Though all of our rooms have either a patio or balcony, not a single one is accessible from the outside, meaning that we are not, and will never be a motel. I cannot determine from your review what room you were in, or what group you were with, but hopefully you contacted the front desk to inform us of some of the issues you encoutered in your guest room so we could correct the problem. I do apologize for the lack of information you recieved during check in regarding the 10% discount on food for all Priority Club guests, and I am actively looking at a solution to make the process easier, since our restaurant staff is unable to determine one's membership through their computer system. I truly thank you for this feedback. I hope you are able to return in the future and have a more enjoyable experience.
NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Crown Plaza has it all. Great accommodations, Tennis, Golf, Swimming, Spa, good food and only a few miles from the dynamic vibe of downtown Asheville. and Biltmore. It has a Huge Expo Center and many meeting rooms all perfect for conventions. Nice indoor and out door pool, Even a Zip line on the property!

Room Tip: Entrance to the property is just off the interstate in a curve - could be easy to miss if it is your...