“very disappointed”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #47 of 68 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed September 15, 2012

we were excited to find out we won the Crowne Plaza on priceline only to find out when we arrived it was not all it was cracked up to be. The hotel is dated but the rooms are nice and modernized, beds are very comfortable. However to list a few of our issues; the towels were very hard as if they were hung up to dry. Of course that was probably not the case but to give you an idea what they felt like. The air conditioner was very noisy and woke us up many times through out the nights. We could hear more than we cared to hear from the folks in the room next to us. Also, the outside noise, people talking etc was very loud from our room. Most hotels enforce quiet time after 10pm. This was not the case as people were clearly partying on a balcony close to our room which also disturbed our sleep. So, if you are wanting a hotel that you would like to party and have a good time this one is for you. If you are wanting to rest, you may want to check elsewhere. I will not use priceline on my next visit to Asheville if the is a next for the fear of winning this hotel again..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie C
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

I am glad you were able to get such a great rate through Priceline, but I'm dissapointed that you weren't able to enjoy your stay despite a reduced price. I can totally understand how rough towels and a loud A/C unit can put a damper on your stay and I will bring these issues to our Housekeeping and Engineering deparments so we can get those problems addressed. We do in fact ask that our guests respect one another after 10 pm with regards to loud noise and we have security available to handle noisy guests who cannot control themselves. A simple call could have quickly resolved this problem. I just want to make it clear to all readers that though we are one of the larger hotels in Asheville and cater to large groups and conventions we are not a "party hotel". We are very committed to making sure that all of our guests enjoy their time hear regardless of why they are in town, and the majority of our guests are able to relax and enjoy their time at our property. Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you can give us another chance in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights right after Labor Day weekend and were pretty disappointed with the whole experience. We showed up after driving for 4+ hours, finally managed to find the place (which is NOT in downtown Asheville. We booked through Priceline and it's listed as downtown but is so very much not downtown)...and there's no power. It was a scheduled power outage until 5pm that day, which meant , of course, no lights in the room, couldn't take a shower after the drive, etc. No warning before we showed up to check-in, and no apology. Luckily the power did come back on as promised, but we had to go find things to do in the meantime. Luckily, in Asheville, there is plenty to do.

The room itself was fine. We had called ahead and asked for a king bed and were told it was an extra $15 per night. I told them no problem and assumed it was taken care of. Not so...after we check-in (which technically was done before we got there, as they had to check everyone in before they lost power) and trek alllllllll the way down to our room, we find 2 queen beds. We couldn't call the front desk, and didn't feel like going back there to have them tell us there was nothing they could do until after 5 due to the power outage. So we just kept the room.

On to the room....it was fine. Just fine. The room was very damp - Spending longer than a couple hours in there would make my allergies go crazy, my nose would be stuffed. It was quite miserable. There was also an issue with the tub draining - by the time you were done showering, the water was halfway up your calf. It was kind of gross. I did notify the hotel when checking out, so hopefully the next people in that room won't have to deal with it.

If we ever go back to Asheville, we'll be sure to stay somewhere else. We were looking for a nice place downtown, and this wasnt overly nice and was definitely not downtown. Someone should tell Priceline that they shouldn't label this as downtown.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

I am very sorry that your experience at our Resort was not an enjoyable one, and I apologize for the misinformation you recieved from Priceline. We have in fact complained to Priceline on many occasions that we should not be listed as "downtown" (even though we are only 2 miles away), and they informed us that since there are no other hotels in West Asheville, they would have to leave us int he downtown segment of their website. It does however mention that we are 2 miles away from downtown in our hotel's description on Priceline. Also, with regards to the power outage we did everything in our power to notify guests of this outage in advance. Since you booked through Priceline though, they do not provide us any way to contact you and would not provide this information to us due to security concerns. We did have this information on our website as well as our IHG reservations page. I am still very sorry that this was an inconvienience for you, and wish we could have done something to prevent it, or make you aware ahead of time. I do want to thank you for providing your feedback at checkout regarding the maintenance issues in your guest room, and we were able to get those problems quickly resolved so the next guest wouldn't have to deal with them again. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed for the second time at the Crowne Plaza Asheville for a conference, which means I didn't have time to enjoy all the amenities, but would highly recommend for families or couples. Onsite restaurant and Mulligan's Bar; swimming pool, golf course with a zip line that crosses over the golf course. (What do you do when you hear "fore!"? Don't know! :-)
I enjoy this facility and would stay there again. Only downside is, it's a very short driving distance from downtown Asheville for shopping and dining; however, they offer shuttle service to downtown for a minimal fee ($5) and when we drove downtown for dinner, it cost $3 to park so the shuttle is a good value. Oh, and it's pet friendly.

Room Tip: You may request to overlook the pool or the golf course; the main building(s) are two-story and ther...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Brenda W
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your second stay at our Resort, and you'll have to come back a third time so you can give the zip line a try! As you mentioned, we are very proud of all our diverse amenities such as the zip line, golf course, spa, recreational complex, and multiple pools, so its always great when guests can enjoy a variety of things during their visit with us. Luckily only a fraction of the zip line course is located near the golf course, so dodging golf balls has not been a concern as far as I am aware. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our downtown shuttle as it is a very convienient and cost effective way to get back and forth to downtown Asheville. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Thanks to Bryan we had a wonderful 2 stays at the crown Plaza. Once at the hotel and the second time in the challets. The price is very good for what we got. The service is amazing and the atmosphere is nice in the Great Smokey Mountains. Bryan goes the extra mile to make sure customers are completely Satisfied. Would definitly reccomend this hotel to anyone visiting Asheville.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

I'm so glad that I was able to personally make your stay an enjoyable one, and I appreciate that you have had a great experience on more than one occasion. Thank you for your recommendation to any readers who might reference Trip Advisor for advice and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a large room with a balcony. The room was clean and updated, but nothing special. Check in was very slow and disorganized, but they did make the effort to put us on the same floor as our friends. Our friends golfed here and told us the course was in pretty poor shape. Breakfast was great and believe it was abou $10.00. With it's spacious groupnd, this hotel has the potential to be very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

We are as proud of our attentive service as anything here at the Crowne Plaza and I'm sorry that your stay was simply average, as we strive for greatness. I'm not sure of your arrival date, but I know that when we have large groups checking in at once, the check-in process can certainly be a bit slower than other times. We have the ability to utlize 4 terminals at once during these peak times, but even then I can see how the process can be frustrating. I am glad that we were able to honor your request of being close to your friends as often times it is easier said than done. Though there are many high quality golf courses in and around Asheville where you can pay between $50 and $100 for a round, we are pleased to provide one of the best deals in the area at our course which runs $20 for 9 holes and a cart. I personally play at least once a week at our course and consistantly have a great time, especially for the price tag. I also know that they have recently aerated the entire course in addition to adding a new practice facility that consists of a driving range and a new putting/chipping green. Hopefully you can come back for a return visit in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in June and went back to Asheville in July and stayed there again.
I thought the staff was very nice and helpful and the rooms were nice. I did not have a difficult time finding the hotel, as some have stated.
I would stay there again and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Any business appreciates repeat customers as much as anything, and I am so glad that you had such great experiences on multiple occasions at our property. I appreciate the great feedback concerning our staff and rooms, and will be sure to share your comments at our next staff meeting. Can't wait for you next visit!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stay at this hotel when we visit our daughter in Asheville. The fact that this hotel is pet friendly makes it even better. My 11 year old thinks that it is cool to stop by the front desk and pick up a few bones for our Aussie. The staff is always wonderful and last week, our patio doors faced the swimming pool which my son just loved. We all relaxed around the pool while he swam a few laps. The front desk staff was able to get us an early check in and all of the employees we came in contact with were very helpful. We love this location. It's very peaceful and relaxing and away from all of the traffice and noise. We will be back again in a few months. The only small problem we had was that the mini fridge was very loud. We did unplug it while we slept, but were sure to plug it back in the following morning. I think we were in room 112. We didn't bother anyone with this since it was not a big deal to us. We didn't need the fridge while we were your guests. Thank you Crowne Plaza staff for always making our stay in Asheville perfect!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

I appreciate your recent review of our property and I am glad we were able to provide a great experience for you and your family. We take great pride in our staff and I am so glad that our customer service and amenities were a WOW factor for you. As you mentioned, we do have a great location and even offer a $5 per person shuttle to downtown if you'd like to take advantage of it in the future. I do want to apologize for the noise associated with your refrigerator, and I will have one of our engineers take a look at that particular unit. Can't wait to have you back in a few months!