“Pretty Average”

Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Asheville
Morris, Illinois
“Pretty Average”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a large room with a balcony. The room was clean and updated, but nothing special. Check in was very slow and disorganized, but they did make the effort to put us on the same floor as our friends. Our friends golfed here and told us the course was in pretty poor shape. Breakfast was great and believe it was abou $10.00. With it's spacious groupnd, this hotel has the potential to be very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
We are as proud of our attentive service as anything here at the Crowne Plaza and I'm sorry that your stay was simply average, as we strive for greatness. I'm not sure of your arrival date, but I know that when we have large groups checking in at once, the check-in process can certainly be a bit slower than other times. We have the ability to utlize 4 terminals at once during these peak times, but even then I can see how the process can be frustrating. I am glad that we were able to honor your request of being close to your friends as often times it is easier said than done. Though there are many high quality golf courses in and around Asheville where you can pay between $50 and $100 for a round, we are pleased to provide one of the best deals in the area at our course which runs $20 for 9 holes and a cart. I personally play at least once a week at our course and consistantly have a great time, especially for the price tag. I also know that they have recently aerated the entire course in addition to adding a new practice facility that consists of a driving range and a new putting/chipping green. Hopefully you can come back for a return visit in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in June and went back to Asheville in July and stayed there again.
I thought the staff was very nice and helpful and the rooms were nice. I did not have a difficult time finding the hotel, as some have stated.
I would stay there again and highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Any business appreciates repeat customers as much as anything, and I am so glad that you had such great experiences on multiple occasions at our property. I appreciate the great feedback concerning our staff and rooms, and will be sure to share your comments at our next staff meeting. Can't wait for you next visit!
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stay at this hotel when we visit our daughter in Asheville. The fact that this hotel is pet friendly makes it even better. My 11 year old thinks that it is cool to stop by the front desk and pick up a few bones for our Aussie. The staff is always wonderful and last week, our patio doors faced the swimming pool which my son just loved. We all relaxed around the pool while he swam a few laps. The front desk staff was able to get us an early check in and all of the employees we came in contact with were very helpful. We love this location. It's very peaceful and relaxing and away from all of the traffice and noise. We will be back again in a few months. The only small problem we had was that the mini fridge was very loud. We did unplug it while we slept, but were sure to plug it back in the following morning. I think we were in room 112. We didn't bother anyone with this since it was not a big deal to us. We didn't need the fridge while we were your guests. Thank you Crowne Plaza staff for always making our stay in Asheville perfect!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
I appreciate your recent review of our property and I am glad we were able to provide a great experience for you and your family. We take great pride in our staff and I am so glad that our customer service and amenities were a WOW factor for you. As you mentioned, we do have a great location and even offer a $5 per person shuttle to downtown if you'd like to take advantage of it in the future. I do want to apologize for the noise associated with your refrigerator, and I will have one of our engineers take a look at that particular unit. Can't wait to have you back in a few months!
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Typical middle of the road hotel. Check in was painful due to an untrained new desk clerk who got everything wrong for our two couples. It was corrected and a breakfast voucher offered to ease the pain. Rooms were clean and standard, walk out to pool area was nice. Shuttle to town a great service and reasonable, but calling for pickup got to voice mail. Got picked up never the less. No bell service offered, but carts were available. Overall, nothing too disappointing, but I was hoping for something more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry that we were not able to provide a "Great" experience for you during you stay but I thank you for your feedback as it will only help us to improve our service. I apologize that your stay started off on the wrong foot due to a new desk clerk who was being trained, however I am pleased that the supervisor on duty was able to recognize this inconvienence and provide breakfast vouchers for you. On our "call back" cards to get picked up from downtown we always provide the bellmen's cell phone number as well as the hotel's main number in the event that the bellmen is on the phone with another guest and you get a voicemail as you mentioned. I am sorry you had to make that second phone call utilizing the hotel number, but it seems as if the process went smoothly after that. Another training issue that I have corrected due to your comments is to have the front desk be more audible in asking guests for luggage assitance. Though we have luggage carts available and some people request help with their luggage, I want to provide more than the bare minimum and will require all my agents moving forward to speak with each arrival concerning this service. Again, thank you for your review and I hope to see you again at our Resort.
New London, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Reserved this hotel by naming my price on Priceline. After reading reviews I was expecting to be disappointed with this hotel. Without a GPS it could be a challenge to find the hotel, but once we checked in we were greeted warmly by front desk, checked in quickly, room was clean and nice, and the hotel is in a nice, quiet setting. Overall very pleased and would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you so much for the review of your recent visit to our property. It seems as if you recieved great service and amenities for a great price, and I'm glad that you have plans for a return visit at a later date. I appreciate your short but sweet review and look forward to seeing you again.
Heiskell, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have several complaints about the hotel in which I and my guest stayed for one night. The first complaint is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to GET to the hotel. It's located behind a shopping plaza. You have to go through the parking lot of the plaza to get to the road that leads to the hotel. The signage is scarce and confusing. We had to drive around the parking lot a couple of times before we figured it out. The driveway is very steep. If you need to stay in a hotel in Asheville in the winter months, I'd recommend you pass up this hotel. Snow and ice could make the entrance quite treacherous. Upon entering the hotel lobby we noticed an rancid, musty odor one might encounter in a very old building. This particular scent was localized to the area right in front of the front desk. In order to get to our non-smoking room, we had to pass down almost the entire length of a long corridor with smoking rooms on either side. The corridor had a nasty reek of old tobacco smoke--it smelled like the inside of an enclosed ashtray. Fresh smoke also emanated from the rooms. Not only was this disgusting but caused some respiratory difficulties for the other member of my party who has asthma. This lady's ailment was the main reason for requesting a non-smoking room as well as the fact that we are both lifelong non-smokers. Last, but not least, the towels and washcloths in the bathroom were quite rough and extremely uncomfortable on the skin. They also had the odor of cigarette smoke, as though people had been smoking in the laundry room while folding the towels. The issues I have mentioned were quite irritating. The good things about the hotel: the beds were comfortable and the pillows were very soft and comfortable. The sheets were also soft and comfy. There is a sliding glass door with a small balcony. Our room had a view of trees and grass which is much more pleasant that a parking lot view. The room was relatively quiet after 9pm. Even with the positive aspects of our stay, I don't think I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, this is a GREAT place to stay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Attention Readers: We are a 100% Non-Smoking hotel per NC State regulations and do not under any circumstances allow guests to smoke anywhere in their room or even their guest balcony. Any guest caught smoking in their room during their stay or after checkout is charged a smoking fee of $150 plus taxes and in the past we have escorted repeat violaters off property. We are very serious about following up on smoking complaints whether it be from a fellow guest or staff member, and enforce our rules without lenience. I know that sometimes smokers extinguish their cigarettes outside the main entrance of the lobby before entering the front desk area, but I'm not sure how to explain such a strong smell as you described, or how our hallways would have such a distinct oder of smoke. I assure you that if there were smokers on your hallway they were severely fined for their actions. I thank you for your many compliments regarding your guest room, and hope you can return in the future to a room with more considerate neighbors.
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I booked our rooms through the bidding option on priceline. We got our rooms for a very low price, but we would have been just as happy with our stay had we paid the full $120. The complex has several ammenities and our room was very clean and comfortable. The linens on the bed are nice, clean, and seemingly updated. The beds were also suprisingly comfortable; first time in a while I didn't wake up sore from a hotel bed. Nice shower heads and good water pressure. Wifi in the room and in the pub/restaurant was easily accessible and we had a good connection. The air conditioning was great in the room, it had enough of a range to where we could make it comfortable during the day, and cold like we like it at night.

The location of the hotel is great. Both nights of our stay we dined downtown, and it took about 3 minutes to actually arrive at each restaurant. It is not in walking distance but they have a shuttle available at the hotel that can take you downtown as well. It serves as a convenient location while also being a quiet place to return to after a long day/night downtown.

In reference to other reviews, the hotel location is not hard to find if you are paying attention to where you are going. Our GPS took us right there. The turn in will be easy to miss if you are not paying attention because the sign isn't "in your face", it stands a little higher rather than being right at ground level.

I have two separate reviews about customer service: When I first booked through priceline I realized that I had booked one night on the wrong date (the 8th instead of the 7th). This was completely my fault and the resort had no obligation to change my date seeing as it was through a third party, but I wasn't asking for much. The first two times I called I talked to two different women, both who quickly told me they couldn't help me at all seeing as I booked through a third party. The first lady was polite as she brushed me off, the second said she couldn't help me and that the people at priceline are "crazy" (after I informed her that priceline could not change my reservation date and that the hotel would have to). I called again for one more try the following day and spoke to Sergio. After Sergio heard my request he said he would gladly check with the manager to see what he could do. When he returned to the phone he said it would be no problem to change my reservation date; Sergio and Brian (the manager) had made my day! I was happy with the outcome but the first two Crowne Plaza employees offered me no help because of my third party booking. I think that if a hotel is going to have a relationship with a third party and offer it's services through this route then it is imperative for the staff to demonstrate support of that relationship and to not make a customer feel uncomfortable or less important due to their booking through a 3rd party.

I have nothing but good things to say about the customer service during our stay at the Crowne Plaza. We greatly enjoyed our check-in experience with David Hensley at the front desk, and we also enjoyed our nightly drink at Milgrim's, the restaurant/pub at the hotel. The young, bearded fellow that worked in Milgrim's provided us with friendly, great service.

Again, overall great experience and we would love to return in the future!

Room Tip: We were pleased with our room on the 2nd floor. We didn't have any of the problems I have seen...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your informative and detailed review, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I'm so glad that you thought so highly of our property, amenities, location, and staff, and I will be sure to pass along your comments to my General Manager in our next meeting. I do want to apologize for the tone you recieved from one or more of my front desk agents, as we pride ourselves here on great customer service. As you mentioned, Priceline is one of our partners who we have chosen to associate ourselves with, and we typically handle the situation differently than what you experienced. I am sorry you had to deal with a lapse in basic customer service but I am glad that Sergio and myself were able to get things worked out for you. Thank you again for providing this review and we hope to see you again in the future!