“average at best”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I usually don't stay at Crowne Plazas but the hotel I wanted to stay at was booked solid. The hotels website made it seem like it was set in a "resort" setting and it seemed to be centrally located. Heres the good - The hotel is centrally located, its close to downtown Asheville and a short drive to the Biltmore estate. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The lobby of the hotel is very nice and has a large fireplace. Breakfast was not included but the continental breakfast was only $12 for two people.
Heres what I did not like: The hotels website makes it seem as if it is a resort...this hotel is not a resort. The pictures that you see are of a newly built lobby and conference room area. The rooms are in a building that I would say was built in the 70's. The rooms are remodeled...but the overhaul of the rooms and hallways was mediocre at best. I stayed at the hotel for three days and during my stay the conference rooms were packed. On my first day, the conference rooms were being used by an organization called "narcotics anoymous". The entrance used to enter the building where my room was also happened to be the closest entrance for the conference room. The attendants of the narcotics anonymous conference would gather there, probably 40 at a time to smoke...I felt like I was in a prison yard when I would pass by them. The next two days, the conference rooms were being used by a Christian church group...there was probably about 300 guests. During the breaks, the guest would gather in the hallways of the guest rooms. There were people everywhere. During the two days of the Christian conference there was no parking...most of the guests that actually were staying in the hotel had to park in the fire lane or on the golf course. Don't get me wrong, both the narcotics anonymous and Christian groups are within there rights to fully use the facilities they have rented. My problem is that the hotel management does not monitor them nor keep them out of the guest areas...they should have been kept within the conference room areas.
If you are driving to the hotel...you might get lost getting there. My car has a built in navigation system that has always been 100% acurate. It took me over 15 minutes to find the road that leads to the hotel. I spoke to another guest that also got lost while using his navigation system. The entrance is very tricky, especially if you are looking for it at night...if possible try to get to the hotel while there is day light.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AlexRosell

Reviewed December 30, 2007

I stayed here with my family when visiting Biltmore. I got a really good rate when I booked in advance on their homepage.

The staff (reception, breakfast, concierge) is extremely friendly and helpful. Some of us tried the full breakfast buffet, and it was great.

From the outside the building itself looks like a better motel, but when entering the hotel the reception and restaurant area is beautiful. The rooms are nice and very clean, you get plenty of nice towels and the beds are really comfortable.

The location is beautiful with a nice view over the golf course and the mountains. Ashville is a small town so you reach down town in a couple of minutes.

We got great value for our money and strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank SwedishNc
Reviewed December 7, 2007

We planned to visit the Biltmore Estates at Christmas so we had a difficult time finding a hotel in the Asheville area at this time of year. Originally told the Crowne Plaza was fully booked but talked to a very nice reservationist who told us they also had a number of small villas on the property that were not reserved. She said that they were very cozy places with fireplaces and other features. We were sold on it and booked it at $179/night.

Upon our arrival, we went to the villas and found them to be very cold and sparse in their appearance. Floor was ceramic tile throughout, fireplace was wood burning only (and no wood in sight), bathrooms were small, furniture was plain. This was not as we expected so we went back to hotel desk to see if they had any cancellations, which they did. The young man at the desk was very accomodating and found us a hotel room that met our needs.

The villas would be fine for a golfing group or a small family to share as it had a small kitchen and two bathrooms. It is not very good for a romantic weekend.

The hotel is showing its age and they are trying to keep it fresh with limited success. The room was clean and the bed was wonderful. There was a lot of hallway noise since the hotel was packed and the room doors did not buffer the noise very well.

I have stayed at other Crowne Plaza hotels in past and this did not measure up to the usual standards.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2007

The hotel was nice enough, but not for $179 night price.
And the biggest problem is finding it!
It is impossible to find with GPS.
We had take 3 tries to finally get there we almost gave up!
We finally called the hotel and they helped us get there.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank agw2000
Reviewed November 29, 2007

My wife had a conference there, and we could only reserve the Villas. After reading the previous reviews, and no reviews regarding the Villas, I was apprehensive about our upcoming stay.

I have to say our stay was okay. No surprises. The Villa we stayed at was nice (updated), with a good view of the golf course that was rather rough, as it is a public course. Mulligan's Bar & Grill was more a bar, with only 3 booths for eating (food came from the main restaurant). Look closely at the Mulligan's photos available on their website. It's really no big deal.

The property as described by many as an old repainted Holiday Inn Resort was correct. Unfortunately, the resort part is VERY over-stated. Nothing about the property gives you that impression.

The front desk was very hard to work with, and fibbed some. We were to stay the Saturday night, but had until early Saturday to decide (again, nothing special about this place). We were thinking if we could get a later check-out, we would cancel for Saturday. Unbelievably we were told no (on the later check-out) because they had our Villa reserved. What about our reservation for Saturday? That made our decision to leave.

Don't expect much, maybe you will be pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed: November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank stevethom
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Got this room thru priceline at $75 a night, thought the hotel was nice for that price. Beds, linens, bath all nice. Room was spacious with a parking lot view. Would definitely stay here again for that price, would hesitate to pay much more. Very quiet hotel, only downside is it is a little hard to get to off the highway, if we had not "accidentally" seen the road I think it might have been difficult to locate. Convenient to downtown, a short drive to Biltmore House. We had two double beds, two queens would have been better.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank AmyBPChef
Reviewed November 12, 2007

My wife and I decided to use my last unscheduled vacation day for a little extended weekend in the NC mountains.

We booked our room at the crowne resort in Asheville through priceline. We only bid $59. We weren't sure what to expect considering priceline's blind bidding process. Upon learning the name of our hotel we began reading some of the reviews here on trip advisor. So we were a little apprehensive.

When we finally found our way into the driveway (It is a little hard to find.) we were pleasantly surprised. The lobby is very nice. The staff was very friendly. Check-in went without a hitch. Our room was on the second floor so we didn't use the elevator very much.

The king sized bed was very nice. The linens and pillows were fresh, clean, and very comfortable. The water in the shower could have been a little hotter. It was fine for me but my wife likes a very hot shower. The hotel bar was very nice with several big screen TVs, a pool table and a big fireplace. We would have loved an indoor pool or hot tub.

For what we paid it was a very nice hotel. However If we had paid full price we would have been a little disappointed. I would stay again for the same price. (But not much more.)

The only other "con" I can think of is the location. If you are going downtown at night to hit all the bars and restaurants (And you just have to... They are very cool.) you will need to take a cab.

Stayed: November 2007