“Home base for Biltmore” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Waxhaw, North Carolina
“Home base for Biltmore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

Stayed here for our anniversary. Very clean and very friendly staff. Rooms offer everything you need. Unfortunately, and unexpectedly, there was a lot of noise from other rooms (can hear water run through pipes from room above) and noise from hallway very apparent. Breakfast was not a good experience because of too many people letting their kids run amuck - stepped on same little girl twice while parents looked on from their table. Food quality is what was expected for free and the wait staff worked hard to keep up with the overwhelming crowd - they did a superb job! Location is great - right between downtown and the village, close to mall as well. Get good directions from the front desk before arriving to make it easier to find. Great experience at the Biltmore.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2007

We stayed at the Homewood suites in Asheville for 3 nights. The hotel has been recently renovated and is exceptionally clean and sparkling. The indoor pool is a nice treat and the hotel serves complimentary breakfast and dinners that are pretty good. The location is handy to Asheville centre the Blue Park Ridgeway and the Biltmore Estate, though it is quite charmeless being just off a highway. Staff are very keen to help and in fact it is a well staffed hotel. Self parking is easy. We travel with 3 young kids and have enjoyed the homewood suites before. If you are passing through Asheville you will find this a pleasurable base.

• Liked — Sparkling with nice complimentary meals
  • Disliked — Motorway living
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick D
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2007

My parents and I stayed at this hotel for 1 nights July 5, 2007. I booked the stay with Hilton Honors Reward Points. Initially, I had wanted to stay at the Doubletree Biltmore (also a member of the Hilton Family), but I had read negative reviews so I switched to the Homewood Suites. Smart move on my part!

The hotel is conveniently located and is in the heart of a shopping and dining mecca. Nearby restaurants include Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Chili's, TGI Fridays, and the like. There is a shopping mall with a movie theater and similar retail/entertainment offerings. We had a little trouble getting to the hotel from the Biltmore estate, but this is the fault of MapQuest, not Homewood.

This Homewood Suites is either new or very recently renovated, as everything is fresh and sparkling. Check-in could not have been more simple, and they treated me like paying guest, unlike some hotels who seem to sneer at people using rewards points (HELLO! How do you think I got those points? Mostly by being very loyal to your brand!). Anyway, we arrived at about 5:15 and they were just setting up the mini-meal. We had plans to eat out, but I walked through the dining area to check it out anyway. It was a Mexican Lasagna served with chips/salsa and a wide variety of beverages. I was impressed with the spread but can't comment on the actual quality of the food, as we didn't try it. They do have a calendar of meals posted in the guestrooms, and their other offerings include soup/salad, manager barbeque, and lasagna (I guess that's Italian lasagna, not Mexican).

The room itself was very clean and attractively furnished. We had a full-sized fridge, good-quality microwave, dishwasher, and 2-burner stovetop. There was a decent selection of dinnerware, and glasses as well as mugs. They provide a small selection of coffee and tea, along with microwave popcorn. The bathroom was large, with a separate vanity area. We were happy to find generous Neutrogena amenities at the sink. My parents slept in the bedroom (they said the bed was fantastic), and I had the sofabed. It was a little lumpy, but it made up very easily. We appreciated the DVD player and ended up renting a movie from the Blockbuster down the street because we were so tired after our long day at Biltmore, all we wanted to do was veg out.

Breakfast the next morning was a real treat. After reading some of the reviews, I was a little nervous about what we would find, but it was awesome. To begin with, the breakfast area has seating for about 40 diners, which is very important to me. I HATE showing up for breakfast and finding a total of 6 chairs at 3 tiny tables. Second, they had 4 staff members working the area, which meant everything was kept filled at the stations and dishes were cleared from tables in a timely manner. The selection was the best I have seen for a complimentary spread. They had Dannon Lite N Fit Yogurt (lots of flavors), 6 types of cereal, individual packs of oatmeal and cream of wheat, fresh fruit salad, several types of danish, bagels, and donuts, a variety of bread for toast, the eggs and bacon, 4 types of fresh juice, skim, 1%, and whole milk, and a variety of coffee and teas.

All in all, I thought this was a fantastic value for my 30,000 points, and if we return to Asheville I would gladly pay full price to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Niverren
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

I think this was my favorite hotel in a very long trip. It was absolutely gorgeous. Everything was so new and CLEAN and fresh; it was almost plush in the room. The beds were THE BEST. I regret that we only had 2 nights there.

It cost more than non-suite rooms in the area but they served a light dinner and so I think it turned out to be a good deal.

Asheville was interesting and we were thrilled with everything about this stop. Many good restaurants near the hotel and in downtown Asheville. We did have to park in the upper lot one time but it wasn't a problem at all.

I recommend this SO highly!!! I'm giving it a 4 and 1/2!

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank Sooz2
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2007

We stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend while visiting Great Smokey Mountain N.P. and the Bilmore Estate. This is your typical Homewood Suites - clean, modern, upscale, well maintained, with a good breakfast. The front desk clerk was very helpful when I asked him for some directions. We stayed here free using Hilton Honors points. It is in a good location near a shopping mall. It is less than 30 minutes from the Biltmore Estate which is highly recommended. I have stayed at Homewood Suites in several different cities and their quality is consistently good.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
kat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

We stayed here in June while visiting the Biltmore...My family and I were pleasantly surprised. Rooms were clean, comfortable, well stocked. Staff was always friendly and courteous. Breakfast and Dinner (during the week) was very good and included in the price. The only down side was location...we had a very hard time finding this hotel.

• Liked — very clean
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KatGayle
Byron, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

This was our 2nd stop on our way to North Carolina. Just an overnight stay with our 4 year old and 1 year old. We were pleasntly suprised to find that this hotel was clean and just what we needed.

I love the fact that there is two rooms. One for us and one for the kids. The room was clean and quiet, with exception to the A/C that kicked on every 15 minutes, but that didn't take long to get used to.

The reception desk was polite and courteous and brought us extra towels immediately when asked. We even enjoyed the complementary microwave popcorn and a movie on the DVD player.

We all slept great.

I will agree with the previous reviewer about the eggs though. Dry and powdery.

• Liked — Two Rooms and the kitchen
  • Disliked — Powdered Eggs
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family