“Honors Points Well Spent”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed July 13, 2007

My parents and I stayed at this hotel for 1 nights July 5, 2007. I booked the stay with Hilton Honors Reward Points. Initially, I had wanted to stay at the Doubletree Biltmore (also a member of the Hilton Family), but I had read negative reviews so I switched to the Homewood Suites. Smart move on my part!

The hotel is conveniently located and is in the heart of a shopping and dining mecca. Nearby restaurants include Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Chili's, TGI Fridays, and the like. There is a shopping mall with a movie theater and similar retail/entertainment offerings. We had a little trouble getting to the hotel from the Biltmore estate, but this is the fault of MapQuest, not Homewood.

This Homewood Suites is either new or very recently renovated, as everything is fresh and sparkling. Check-in could not have been more simple, and they treated me like paying guest, unlike some hotels who seem to sneer at people using rewards points (HELLO! How do you think I got those points? Mostly by being very loyal to your brand!). Anyway, we arrived at about 5:15 and they were just setting up the mini-meal. We had plans to eat out, but I walked through the dining area to check it out anyway. It was a Mexican Lasagna served with chips/salsa and a wide variety of beverages. I was impressed with the spread but can't comment on the actual quality of the food, as we didn't try it. They do have a calendar of meals posted in the guestrooms, and their other offerings include soup/salad, manager barbeque, and lasagna (I guess that's Italian lasagna, not Mexican).

The room itself was very clean and attractively furnished. We had a full-sized fridge, good-quality microwave, dishwasher, and 2-burner stovetop. There was a decent selection of dinnerware, and glasses as well as mugs. They provide a small selection of coffee and tea, along with microwave popcorn. The bathroom was large, with a separate vanity area. We were happy to find generous Neutrogena amenities at the sink. My parents slept in the bedroom (they said the bed was fantastic), and I had the sofabed. It was a little lumpy, but it made up very easily. We appreciated the DVD player and ended up renting a movie from the Blockbuster down the street because we were so tired after our long day at Biltmore, all we wanted to do was veg out.

Breakfast the next morning was a real treat. After reading some of the reviews, I was a little nervous about what we would find, but it was awesome. To begin with, the breakfast area has seating for about 40 diners, which is very important to me. I HATE showing up for breakfast and finding a total of 6 chairs at 3 tiny tables. Second, they had 4 staff members working the area, which meant everything was kept filled at the stations and dishes were cleared from tables in a timely manner. The selection was the best I have seen for a complimentary spread. They had Dannon Lite N Fit Yogurt (lots of flavors), 6 types of cereal, individual packs of oatmeal and cream of wheat, fresh fruit salad, several types of danish, bagels, and donuts, a variety of bread for toast, the eggs and bacon, 4 types of fresh juice, skim, 1%, and whole milk, and a variety of coffee and teas.

All in all, I thought this was a fantastic value for my 30,000 points, and if we return to Asheville I would gladly pay full price to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Niverren
Write a ReviewReviews (1,485)

Reviewed July 9, 2007

I think this was my favorite hotel in a very long trip. It was absolutely gorgeous. Everything was so new and CLEAN and fresh; it was almost plush in the room. The beds were THE BEST. I regret that we only had 2 nights there.

It cost more than non-suite rooms in the area but they served a light dinner and so I think it turned out to be a good deal.

Asheville was interesting and we were thrilled with everything about this stop. Many good restaurants near the hotel and in downtown Asheville. We did have to park in the upper lot one time but it wasn't a problem at all.

I recommend this SO highly!!! I'm giving it a 4 and 1/2!

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Sooz2
Reviewed June 30, 2007

We stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend while visiting Great Smokey Mountain N.P. and the Bilmore Estate. This is your typical Homewood Suites - clean, modern, upscale, well maintained, with a good breakfast. The front desk clerk was very helpful when I asked him for some directions. We stayed here free using Hilton Honors points. It is in a good location near a shopping mall. It is less than 30 minutes from the Biltmore Estate which is highly recommended. I have stayed at Homewood Suites in several different cities and their quality is consistently good.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We stayed here in June while visiting the Biltmore...My family and I were pleasantly surprised. Rooms were clean, comfortable, well stocked. Staff was always friendly and courteous. Breakfast and Dinner (during the week) was very good and included in the price. The only down side was location...we had a very hard time finding this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank KatGayle
Reviewed June 21, 2007

This was our 2nd stop on our way to North Carolina. Just an overnight stay with our 4 year old and 1 year old. We were pleasntly suprised to find that this hotel was clean and just what we needed.

I love the fact that there is two rooms. One for us and one for the kids. The room was clean and quiet, with exception to the A/C that kicked on every 15 minutes, but that didn't take long to get used to.

The reception desk was polite and courteous and brought us extra towels immediately when asked. We even enjoyed the complementary microwave popcorn and a movie on the DVD player.

We all slept great.

I will agree with the previous reviewer about the eggs though. Dry and powdery.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank smily21
Reviewed June 2, 2007

I wrestled with neutral or above average review but went with neutral.

First the good. Excellent selection of tap beer and wine for the reception nights. Superb service by the personnel in the dining area cleaning tables and even getting refills for us on beverages once in a while as we ate. Very clean property overall.

Front desk overall was kind and the shuttle was easily available for one downtown drop off.

To the improves:

On check in we were an hour early before the 3 oclock published check in time. Room was not ready, no problem. We killed some time downtown at the visitors center and came back a little before 3. We again waited til 3:25 to check in when our room was ready with no real apology. Would have been a little negative to show up right at 3 to check in and have to wait 25 minutes to check in, but to have been there an hour prior, when they knew they had a party ready to check in and still take another hour and a half to get into the room is slightly worse.

I agree with a previous post that the temperature in the room was hard to keep cool. In fact, the AC kept kicking on every 10 minutes for a bit, off again, on again. The actual AC is quiet in the room but we were "lucky" enough to get a room on the 1st floor where the window was close to everyone's outisde AC compressers so we could hear the white noise of the compressors at night as we slept.

Breakfast eggs are powdered and not tasty, good besides.

Overall a good stay and some of the negatives may just be isolated cases but for the money and brand name, I expected better. The manager did call on our last night there asking if everything was ok and I didn't have time to give her feedback then but will be sending her a note. I would stay here again but would look for something elsewhere first.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blairfan
Reviewed June 1, 2007

The lobby is welcoming with a huge gas fireplace. I wasn't expecting the room to be so nice. It had a full kitchen area, table, couch, desk and big flat screen tv that swiveled. The bed was very comfortable. A large marble sink area outside was outside the bathroom. A closet was also in this space. The furnishings were upscale. The complimentary breakfast was much more than expected. In addition, the manager's reception on M-T from 5-7 served drinks and dinner. The staff serving breakfast and dinner were so nice and polite. There was also a public computer in this area. Our experience here was great.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple