“Great Place To Stay In Asheville”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road
Ranked #7 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We recently spent 4 nights here while visiting Asheville and found it to be all what we have come to expect from a Homewood Suites and more. The staff was outstanding and went out of their way to be helpful with suggestions on things to do in the area. The breakfast each morning was fresh and the hot items were actually hot. Staying here is a great choice at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ortravelers
true7, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2010

Thank you for being our guest while in the Asheville Area. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you coming "home" again soon.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road

Reviewed May 9, 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Homewood Suites April 30-May 3rd. I have to give major props to the people who took the pictures for the website – they made the room look much bigger than it is in person, but after the initial surprise, we had plenty of room. We had a one-bedroom suite with a pull-out couch in the living room. I slept on the king bed in the bedroom, and my friend used the couch, which she said was comfortable. There are french doors which can be used to close off the bedroom, thus virtually giving us each our own room. The only 'downside' is that one has to enter the bedroom to get to the bathroom, but we never had a problem with that.

The full kitchen was very convenient, although we barely used it. It was nice to have a full size refrigerator – we used it to store bottles of water, leftovers from restaurant meals, and wine. I recommend turning on the ice maker immediately, if you plan to use it. We turned it off each night, because the ice falling into the bin made quite a rattle (which happens everywhere). We didn't use the stove or microwave. There were plates and silverware for 4 people, a nice assortment of pans and cooking utensils, towels, and even a potholder. A small oval table with two chairs sits between the kitchen and living room, with a caddy containing coffee and the usual accoutrements – even a bag of microwave popcorn, which was appreciated, although not used. There is a full sized desk in the living room, and a flat panel tv on an attractive stand, with a DVD player. Lighting was more than ample throughout the room. In addition to the couch, there was a chair. The free wireless internet access worked like a dream.

The bedroom also had a flat panel tv and separate sink/vanity area with plenty of counter space and electrical outlets. The ceiling fan was much appreciated. The inner bathroom containing the commode and shower/tub was spacious and we had plenty of soft fluffy towels. Housekeeping did a wonderful job – the place was spotless, and they even ran our wine glasses through the dishwasher for us one day.

One thing we found funny – I finally had to give up and call downstairs to ask where the climate controls were for the room, because we absolutely could not find them. Turns out we had to go into the bedroom, close the french door, and swivel the tv to find the control panel on the wall. (the desk was not helpful – they merely suggested that the panel “should be somewhere in the living room....” )

Breakfast is included in the price of the room, and the Homewood Suites has a very attractive breakfast area just off the lobby. There are probably 12-15 tables, and they were in high demand, particularly on Sunday morning. Each morning they had an assortment of bagels, English muffins, and bread for toasting, cut-up fruit, some whole fruit, muffins, pastry, several types of cereal, yogurt, juices, milk, tea, and coffee. Saturday morning they had bacon and scrambled eggs, and I believe grits or oatmeal. Sunday morning they had cheese 'omelets' and sausage patties. They had several people servicing the food and the dining area, and did their best to clear tables as fast as they could, but when you have a full hotel and only so many tables, it can be problematic, which is not a reflection on the hotel. I should mention – there's a small sundries shop just off the lobby as well, although we didn't have any need for it.

I had checked in on-line, and had even chosen the exact room I wanted, 24 hours earlier, so check-in was quick and easy. Parking was plentiful. We had a nice view of the hills. The hotel's location is excellent – a wide variety of restaurants close by, the mall is less than a mile away, and there's a super Wal-mart within 10 minutes where we did most of our shopping (snacks, etc). That's all to the left as you pull out of the hotel parking lot. Turning right puts you on Tunnel Road heading north, which gets you to downtown in mere minutes.

In sum, I would consider the Homewood Suites the next time I'm in Asheville. Previously I had stayed at the Springhill Suites, which was also very nice, but this time I had a traveling companion, and we liked the concept of having 'separate' rooms (and the breakfast area is much larger at Homewood). The only real con I can think of with Homewood is that there are no signs telling you how to get from the lobby to the elevators, which involved going down a long hallway, and making two left turns. It was just confusing the first time. The parking out back led to a back door with very convenient access to the elevators. There are still other places I would like to experience, but I would not hesitate to return to the Homewood Suites. Frankly, one thing that impressed me was seeing the comments from management on the Tripadvisor site. That tells me they care about their guests' experiences, and if you read this review, management team, please know that we enjoyed our stay very much and you run a fine establishment.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Catwoman62

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your stay. We are very happy that you enjoyed your Suite, our Suite Start Hot Breakfast and your experience while here. We hope to see you coming "home" again soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

Very friendly welcome from Robbie on front desk.
Great room - first stay at a Homewoods Suite, will use again.

Free parking, handy for restaurants, Biltmore, supermarket, interstate.

Helpful staff at breakfast made sure we could sit together as a four when it was getting busy. Best bacon we ate in a month long vacation! Great Chinese food at the evening reception too.

Would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Mrs-Picky-Knickers
true7, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2010

Thank you for staying with us and sharing about your experience. We hope you find an opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2010

needed a base for touring Blue Ridge and Smokies which provided pool, hot tub, cooked breakfast, and wifi. Homewood offered all these at a fair price for a stay of 7 nights. The pool was cold (80) but that meant few used it and we could enjoy on our own! The Hot Tub worked and we relaxed every night after our trips to the mountains. The hot breakfasts varied but fresh fruit and other items were also available, and they were included (as is supper but better miss that!) and free wireless worked well. The suites are large, and beds comfortable. Staff friendly. Will use homewood again and come back to this hotel again. .

3  Thank gwgMimsFlorida
true7, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2010

Thank you for sharing about your experience while visiting the Asheville Area. We are glad you were able to enjoy our amenities while touring the Blue Ridge and Smokies. Our pool is maintained at 84 degrees, except for the hotter summer months where it is turned down to 82 degrees, and monitored closely every day. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2010

Having had a less than enjoyable experience with this chain in Washington, DC, I was somewhat hesitant when making this reservation. Those concerns were needless because my experience at the Homewood Suites in Asheville turned out to be a very positive experience. Although I was only there one night, I was struck by how convenient the location would be for a long stay because everything I might need was so close by. Not only were there a multitude of closely located restaurants and a mall but there was an excellent grocery within walking distance that also offered a wide selection of freshly prepared foods. The Biltmore attraction was just a few miles away and very easy access by car with simple directions from the hotel. My suite was clean, very quiet and the bedroom nicely appointed. I appreciated the free internet, which worked without any connectivity problems. The food at both the evening reception and breakfast was not particularly good but given the price - free - that was only a minor point. I certainly didn't stay there with the intent of making the light reception my dinner. Overall, for this category of hotel, I thought that the Homewood Suites in Asheville certainly delivered and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010
4  Thank CuriousTraveler8048
true7, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

Thank you for staying with us recenlty. We are happy you made yourself at home during your short stay and hope you have an opportunity to return and stay a little longer.

Reviewed April 9, 2010

I found this hotel to answer all my needs required when attending a conference.

This is the hotel I found in answer to the Train Wreck I had to leave at 2am (The Crowne Plaza Asheville)

The hotel manager in particular was very helpful. I needed to find businesses/shopping centers in Asheville in a hurry and he enabled me to do that. Plus he really made me feel welcome.

I would definitely stay here again and it would be more than a stay, it would be a pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank ganotrill
true7, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2010

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy we were able to deliver what you needed while here. Please come back home soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2010

When our family got to our hotel, we went to our room. We booked a NON- smoking room, and when we got to our rooom, it smelled like cigarette smoke. And 3 people in our family have Asthma!The pool was small.Very small. The chairs in the room were painfully firm. The pillows were soft, dispite everything else. We had a meal in the diner, and it was awful! The rooms are quite large, and the TV has bad reception. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
true7, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Asheville- Tunnel Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

Thank you for staying with us recently on your visit to the Asheville Area. Let me start by saying that we are disappointed that our hotel was not able to provide you with the quality of service and amenities you deserve. Please let me offer our sincerest apologies for your recent experience at our property. Because we understand vacations are very important, we try our hardest to make sure each guest has a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. Your comments are of great value and will be considered moving forward. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Troy Ferguson